So who did we gain/lose in the Rule 5 draft?

astralpanda

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 05:54 PM)
I had to be taken to the emergency room to have my stomach pumped after I heard the Jeff Farnsworth news. NOT JEFF FARNSWORTH!

I'm pretty sure he was our closer last year in Charlotte. And he did a damn fine job I must say. I'm just annoyed that we're losing pitching and not getting anything in return. Tim Redding is gone as well I might add. Another person we got nothing for.

EDIT: okay he wasn't that great, 4.76 era and only 14 saves. Still annoyed though.

Edited by astralpanda

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 06:05 PM)
How will we ever replace a 31 year old career minor leaguer!

OH NOES! Tim Redding too!

I'm going to need to be admitted for psychiatric evaluation.

lol, be nice. Redding actually had potential. I'm not saying these are HUGE losses, just annoyed that were losing arms for nothing.

QUOTE(astralpanda @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 06:13 PM)
lol, be nice. Redding actually had potential. I'm not saying these are HUGE losses, just annoyed that were losing arms for nothing.

Minor League free agents have almost ZERO incentive to sign into (or stay in) the Sox farm system. We have 10 possible starters 25 or younger at the AAA level arguably better than Redding. Why would he sign here when he can sign with the Nationals, where he is currently their 2nd best starting option?

Your upset that our major league team is good enough to make these players want to go elsewhere? get your priorities straight.

Farnsworth and Redding are nothing more than AAA fodder, as noted by Civic .

These guys don't care where they play, they just want to have a shot to make a big league roster and rightfully so. And since they have no shot to make the big club, they'll go elsewhere. Case closed.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 06:18 PM)
Minor League free agents have almost ZERO incentive to sign into (or stay in) the Sox farm system. We have 10 possible starters 25 or younger at the AAA level arguably better than Redding. Why would he sign here when he can sign with the Nationals, where he is currently their 2nd best starting option?

Your upset that our major league team is good enough to make these players want to go elsewhere? get your priorities straight.

Why are you turning this into some kind of fight? Stop with the isecurities for a moment. Everything you just said, I KNOW! lol, excuse me for wating the Sox bring in more talent. The deeper the system, the better.

QUOTE(astralpanda @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 08:21 PM)
Why are you turning this into some kind of fight? Stop with the isecurities for a moment. Everything you just said, I KNOW! lol, excuse me for wating the Sox bring in more talent. The deeper the system, the better.

I wouldn't consider these guys to be "good" depth.

They couldn't contribute at the MLB level so to me they are useless unless Charlotte needs filler for its roster.

This isn't a fight, it's '85-'86 Tyson.

The players you're upset about losing are borderline useless. Think of it this way. Our pitching was brutal last year. The starters sucked, and the bullpen was decimated. Yet these two clowns still didn't sniff the major league roster.

That's all you need to know. They sucked so hard they couldn't crack the Sox 25 man roster when we were running the likes of Sean Tracey and Agustin Montero to the mound.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 07:25 PM)
I wouldn't consider these guys to be "good" depth.

They couldn't contribute at the MLB level so to me they are useless unless Charlotte needs filler for its roster.

So you're saying anybody over 25 in the minor leagues is useless? This isn't fantasy baseball, these are human beings and as much as we'd like to think that we can predict the future, we can't.

I really couldn't give two s***s about Redding and Farnsworth in the grand scheme of things but the fact is they're solid, they helped CHarlotte to the AAA playoffs(and lost miserably), and both have pitched in the majors before.

I'm done with this discussion.

QUOTE(astralpanda @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 07:35 PM)
So you're saying anybody over 25 in the minor leagues is useless? This isn't fantasy baseball, these are human beings and as much as we'd like to think that we can predict the future, we can't.

I really couldn't give two s***s about Redding and Farnsworth in the grand scheme of things but the fact is they're solid, they helped CHarlotte to the AAA playoffs(and lost miserably), and both have pitched in the majors before.

I'm done with this discussion.

No, not all players over 25 are useless, but those two fall into that category.