Aubrey Huff

gosox41

Maybe I'm mising somthing but wouldn't Aubrey Huff be a good fit for the Sox. His asking price keeps decreasing and he could probably be had for 3yrs @ $8MM per year.

He can play LF for those who want an upgrade over Pods (more HR's and slightly higher OBP). While the Sox we'll miss the SB's, there's not many 50 SB guys available right now. He can also play right in case Dye goes down and he would add some pop there.

But more important then him being a left fielder is he can play 3B. If I remember correctly he has played there before. He would be an excellent insurance policy if Crede goes down. Andhonestly, until Crede's breakout offensive year in 2006, he hasn't been as god as Huff.

It also gives the Sox flexibility if the Sox trade Crede. I'm not condoning this, but if someone offers the right amount for him, I'd seriously consider it.

Odds are Crede is as good as gone once he's an FA. If he hits in 2007 and 2008 as well as he did in 2006, he will cost close to Aramis Ramirez money and still have the back issue.

But again, the purpose of Huff is to serve as an insurance policy if Crede goes down and also be the regular LFer.

Thoughts???

Bob

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Dec 26, 2006 -> 12:39 AM)
He's been in decline every year since 2003 (when steroid testing began). He's not much defensively, and is asking for 7 million a year for 3 years. No thanks!

Agreed, next year's FA ourfielders are much more appealing, and Fields is a better long term option at third.

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Dec 25, 2006 -> 07:59 PM)
Agreed, next year's FA ourfielders are much more appealing, and Fields is a better long term option at third.

Who are next year's free agent OF's, and what makes anyone think we're going to overpay for them, especially considering that we have our potential free agent OF with Jermaine Dye not to mention at least 3 younger OF's (Sweeney, Anderson, and Owens) plus a potential 4th in Josh Fields ?

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 26, 2006 -> 02:03 AM)
Who are next year's free agent OF's, and what makes anyone think we're going to overpay for them, especially considering that we have our potential free agent OF with Jermaine Dye not to mention at least 3 younger OF's (Sweeney, Anderson, and Owens) plus a potential 4th in Josh Fields ?

I'm assuming to a degree, but KW never made a claim to not spending money, only that he would not overpay for mediocre talent. I wouldn't include Fields, unless Crede is extended, as I would expect him to take over third base in 08. Dye is certainly a possibility to be extended, and at the right price, I'd be game. I believe Owens will be a fourth outfielder, I don't expect him to break out as a starting LF.

With the money saved on pitching, I would really like to see the Sox make a run at Ichiro next year. There are other options as well, but that would be as good of an upgrade at leadoff as we could get, with the possible exception of Crawford. Although Crawford's availability is questionable, even if it weren't, the price is more than I'd be willing to pay.

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Dec 25, 2006 -> 08:23 PM)
I'm assuming to a degree, but KW never made a claim to not spending money, only that he would not overpay for mediocre talent. I wouldn't include Fields, unless Crede is extended, as I would expect him to take over third base in 08. Dye is certainly a possibility to be extended, and at the right price, I'd be game. I believe Owens will be a fourth outfielder, I don't expect him to break out as a starting LF.

With the money saved on pitching, I would really like to see the Sox make a run at Ichiro next year. There are other options as well, but that would be as good of an upgrade at leadoff as we could get, with the possible exception of Crawford. Although Crawford's availability is questionable, even if it weren't, the price is more than I'd be willing to pay.

If they keep Dye around by signing him to a long-term extension, that's probably going to cost $15 million a season (roughly) so I'd be surprised if they wanted to offer something similar, or in the $10-15 range for Ichiro when Williams, I'm thinking, is more likely to bargain shop or look to improve via trade should the offense need outside help next offseason.

Also, I'm not sure that the White Sox are going to have tons of money to spend - Don't they have to lock up Jenks soon enough as well as make decisions on Buerhle, and eventually Garland/Vasquez ?

I guess we'll see, but, hopefully, Kenny will have flexibiiltiy to make moves and add some payroll.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 25, 2006 -> 08:31 PM)
If they keep Dye around by signing him to a long-term extension, that's probably going to cost $15 million a season (roughly) so I'd be surprised if they wanted to offer something similar, or in the $10-15 range for Ichiro when Williams, I'm thinking, is more likely to bargain shop or look to improve via trade should the offense need outside help next offseason.

Also, I'm not sure that the White Sox are going to have tons of money to spend - Don't they have to lock up Jenks soon enough as well as make decisions on Buerhle, and eventually Garland/Vasquez ?

I guess we'll see, but, hopefully, Kenny will have flexibiiltiy to make moves and add some payroll.

Jenks won't be an issue until 2011 and even then there's still a 50/50 chance he breaks down before then and the Sox don't even have to worry about paying him big money.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 25, 2006 -> 08:46 PM)
Jenks won't be an issue until 2011 and even then there's still a 50/50 chance he breaks down before then and the Sox don't even have to worry about paying him big money.

Cold.

true, but still cold. :D