Yahoo! offseason assessment

thedoctor

i'll put this over here since most of it is non-white sox related.

yahoo! story

The Chicago White Sox didn't fix much for today. In fact, their winter step might have been backward. But, there was a refreshing touch of sanity in general manager Kenny Williams' maneuvering, as he stockpiled a half-dozen young arms and laid them at the feet of pitching coach Don Cooper. That doesn't entirely explain the Brandon McCarthy trade, other than for volume, which appears to be the plan. They could still use a center fielder.

I'm surprised the writer wasted his time assessing the offseason moves. There are still 3 months left in the offseason.

The sox aren't done. They'll use some of the young guys [or their existing minor league players] in order to beef up the everyday lineup via a trade or two.

I actually think the writer was pretty dead on (even though he didn't make much of a conclusion) but at least he was smart enough to realize this market is ridiculous and if you don't plan on getting yourself fully engulged and giving guys ridiculous contracts you better decide to load up on stud arms (ie loading up) and plan on going to battle with those guys and see which guys turn into heroe's (ie viable pitchers).

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 2, 2007 -> 02:01 AM)
They need to get more guys like Ernie Young who can try and compete for an OF spot in ST.

Maybe Owens can make it this year.

I like Owens, and I think he might be ready in 2007 to be better than Pods. He's definitely a better athlete. His hitting would likely be erratic his first year. But I think he has the right skill set, and after a year in the majors, I think Owens would make a pretty good leadoff guy who can play all three OF positions (corners he'd do well, CF needs work but he'd be a serviceable backup there).