THE ONES WHO GOT AWAY

StatManDu

Thanks to an alert poster, I need to revise and update my "Ones that Got Away list"

JASON GIAMBI WAS NOT DRAFTED BY THE WHITE SOX IN THE 1989 DRAFT ... IN DIGGING THROUGH MY BASEBALL AMERICA DRAFT ALMANAC, WHICH HAS A RIPPED BINDING, I SKIPPED A PAGE. A CARELESS MISTAKE. MY APOLOGIES.

I added Geoff Zahn, which was a great suggestion by wilburaga. Thanks to everyone for viewing and commenting on this list

ONES WHO GOT AWAY

Thursday marked two anniversaries of two players – Charlie Lea and Damon Berryhill -- who were drafted but went unsigned by the Sox who went on to contribute in the big leagues. Here is a look at some players of significance who were drafted but not signed by the Sox who went on to have noteworthy big league careers. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANYONE ELSE??

Player, position .............................Drafted by Sox

Johnny Oates, c………………2nd round, June 1966

Geoff Zahn, p...........................34th round, June 1966

Mickey Rivers, cf……………1st round, January 1968

Duane Kuiper, ss…………….1st round, January 1970

Warren Cromartie, of………..7th round, June 1971

Willie McGee, of…………….7th round, June 1976

HubieBrooks, ss…………….1st round, June 1976

Charlie Lea, p………………..4th round, June 1977

Hubie Brooks, of…………….1st round, June 1977

Gary Gaetti, 3b………………3rd round, June 1978

Steve Buechele, ss…………...1st round, June 1979

Jimmy Key, p………………..10th round, June 1979

Tim Teufel, 2b……………….3rd round, June 1979

Calvin Schiraldi, p…………...17th round, June 1980

Damon Berryhill, c…………..13th round, January 1983

Eric Gagne, p………………..30th round, June 1994

J.J. Putz, p……………………3rd round, June 1995

Jeff Weaver, p………………..2nd round, June 1997

Tom Gorzelanny, p..................38th round, June 2000

Edited by StatManDu

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 02:15 PM)
Who is Tom Gorzelanny?

Pitcher in the Pirates organization - I think about their #2 or #3 prospect in their entire system.

It would have also been nice to have JJ Putz too.

Hubie Brooks was good at being drafted high and not signing. From his BR.com page...

June 5, 1974: Drafted by the Montreal Expos in the 19th round of the 1974 amateur draft, but did not sign.

January 7, 1976: Drafted by the Kansas City Royals in the 1st round (5th pick) of the 1976 amateur draft (Secondary Phase), but did not sign.

June 8, 1976: Drafted by the Chicago White Sox in the 1st round (14th pick) of the 1976 amateur draft (Secondary Phase), but did not sign.

January 11, 1977: Drafted by the Oakland Athletics in the 1st round (2nd pick) of the 1977 amateur draft (Secondary Phase), but did not sign.

June 7, 1977: Drafted by the Chicago White Sox in the 1st round (3rd pick) of the 1977 amateur draft (Secondary Phase), but did not sign.

June 6, 1978: Drafted by the New York Mets in the 1st round (3rd pick) of the 1978 amateur draft.