Soxtalk Softball Info

TornLabrum

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ May 26, 2007 -> 05:44 PM)
How the hell did you field a team with only five players?

Kudos to fellow Soxtalkians for the victory. I figured, judging from some of the ages, we'd be running their asses all around the field. :cheers

BTW, what time did the game end? I drove by at about 3:30 coming from my niece's baptism party and didn't see anyone. I was hoping to make a glorious entrance.

I'll suggest right now that we set up a future game sometime in early August.

Greg and I played the outfield and just shifted for lefty/righty, and no catcher. The two ringers played first and third. They had a younger team than us, but they weren't very skilled.

The game got underway at like 12:15 and was done by 2:00.

Full recap and open messages: I'll be posting very similarly on WSI.

Southsider, Kap, Tito, Northsidesox and I all showed up. That's Mike, Bob, Brian (Bill), Matt and Pratt.

Southsider is a great little grinder. Batted leadoff. He was very good and friendly. He gave me his shortstop position when I asked him to let me have it midway through the game. I thought I could play it well and did. He's a nice guy. I told him I can hit a baseball a long way. He told me I had a nice cut and he believes it.

Sorry to disobey you, Skip, when you said: "Since we've got a good lead, on double play balls don't make a throw." I didn't make any errors at all disobeying that order, but whenever I've got a play, I'm going for it.

Kap played second and short right field with a lefty. Very good job. Nice guy, too. Didn't really meet my expectations. I expected him to be a badass sarcastic Texan and arrive on a Harley.

Tito played a fantastic outfield for us. Great job buddy. Good job with the stick, too.

Northsidesox, my old practice buddy, pitched a hell of a game. Great job. Good hitting, too.

Now some notes on my game and the game as a whole: If we had a highlight reel and a lowlight reel, I'd have been prominent on both. First: a baserunning gaffe. I took one to center field and Kap was at first. I thought he'd kept going to third and ran to second. We were both out; me running back to first and he at second.

I also ran into their first baseman and kind of armed-him in the chest. That was an accident. Sorry buddy!

I also started the third inning for us as NSS and I agreed to alternate every two innings.

I walked two hitters, gave up a three run shot, and gave the ball back to Matt. That wasn't meant to be. I hate pitching a softball. Haha.

The rest of the game, for me, was

And not to mention the clutch two-out rally by us.

I AJ Pierzynski'd much of the game and I suppose he'd be a perfect match for me. I've been compared to AJ on every team sport I've ever been on. I was loud to pump up my teammates and myself, as well as entertain teh crowd which was essentially all the WSI Wives and GFs. I had a playful, teasing series of arguments with the umpire, DumpJerry from WSI. Gave him dirty looks after each ball thrown to me. Called him out as a bad umpire. (He wasn't really.) (He was cool. Good sense of humor.)

Teased their pitcher for looking like Mayor Daley. When I saw him at the train station, as we were all leaving, I said to him, "Pleasure hitting off of you." It was! I didn't mean that disrespectfully, though. He seemed like a good guy, and he was teasing me too about how I couldn't throw strikes, so it's all in good competitive fun.

To show the other team up -- again, for fun, and that's just a part of who I am -- I did such things as, oh, catch a liner for the final out and then spike the softball as I ran back to the :dugout." When I was scoring runs, I'd moonwalk into home or, in my favorite incident, do a Barrel Roll into homeplate.

Hey, I'm a showman.

As far as hitting, I had a hustle double, and I batted third. I had a bunch of hard hit singles. I hit two of the hardest hit balls all day long but they were both just very, very long fouls. The other guys started calling me a pull hitter. I'm not. Not with baseball, anyway, but I suppose I was pulling everything in softball (you really should though, if you've got power, which I do) but in my last two at-bats I singled into centerfield just because.

I must confess, I was playing with a chip on my shoulder. I was a little irritated by the fact that so many WSI guys showed up (about sixteen) when we only had five. That bothered me because it looks bad for us. THeir pitcher kept somewhat jokingly asking, before the game, Where's SoxTalk? Where's your team? and I know he didn't mean it offensively but I took slight offense. Then there's the fact that I take offense at the mere presence of opposing teams, no matter what the situation, simply because I expect to win and play everything to win, and them being there = obstacle to us winning that we have to beat.

I love competing.

It was a very fun day, though.

Tito is a great guy. I didn't have much doubt he would be. Most people posting on a message board are very different than in real life. I'm not, but most people are. Although I do think that Tito was thinking, "What the f*** do we have this guy on the roster for?" when I gave up the three run shot and walked two guys.

I liked meeting him, though. Good fun

Northside is the same as I remember. Good guy. So's everyone else.

In summary, to the WSI guys:

1) In baseball, I'm no pull hitter per se. I think I showed that I'm not completely in softball, either. I had fun hitting to center and left.

2) I hope you didn't take offense by my actions. I was having a ton of fun. I think you guys were, too. I know for a fact some of you were amused, as you should've been.

3) Pitcher, don't be offended by the teasing. I wasn't and I assume we were both going at one another in good humor. (PS: I really liked your attempts to get me to ground out softly by throwing me a softball that doesn't reach the plate. It didn't work, as I took every ball you pitched for a ball, but it was a very good effort and you're a good, crafty pitcher.)

4) Tell your wives/GFs I'm not a jerk, plz. :P

What can I say? I like playing with enthusiasm and effort.

Great time.

Oh, and I was wearing the sexy plaid pants and purple shirt

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 26, 2007 -> 07:38 PM)
Tito is a great guy. I didn't have much doubt he would be. Most people posting on a message board are very different than in real life. I'm not, but most people are. Although I do think that Tito was thinking, "What the f*** do we have this guy on the roster for?" when I gave up the three run shot and walked two guys.

Well, thank you for the positive support! I know most people absolutely hate me here, and hey, I can't blame 'em. But that is just so not true. The dude you gave the homer up to had two other homers on the day. Pretty much their entire offense. We would have had to stand at the pitcher's mound on the baseball field to catch his balls! :P

It was nice meeting some of the guys too. I had a good time!

Well, thank you for the positive support! I know most people absolutely hate me here, and hey, I can't blame 'em. But that is just so not true. The dude you gave the homer up to had two other homers on the day. Pretty much their entire offense. We would have had to stand at the pitcher's mound on the baseball field to catch his balls!

It was nice meeting some of the guys too. I had a good time!

I'm still going to absolutely hate your posts but I like you man to man. Definitely. You played a good outfield.

By the way, I was teasing you with that line you bolded. Making fun of your constant overreactions. ;)

Hey, though, you're a good guy. Really. :)

I have two things to add: in baseball and softball, during infield practice and BP, I like to run out groundballs just to see if I can beat it out. Often do, and did on all of them yesterday. That was fun.

Also, I have a dirty little secret. I was wearing a Cubs shirt underneath my purple longsleeve just because. It's kind of a good luck charm for me.

Great game, thanks to everyone, particularly the 5 Soxtalkers who showed. Shorthanded, we put up an impressive victory. But the best part was, it was a lot of fun. I'd definitely do it again.

Big thanks to SS2K5 and Molto for setting things up! And to WSI for doing it with us!

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ May 26, 2007 -> 04:44 PM)
How the hell did you field a team with only five players?

We had five players, and picked up two older guys who were practicing little league with their kids. We played 7 - a pitcher, 3 infielders, 2 outfielders and 1 IF-OF rover. WSI had 9 I think, so they played a standard softball team setup. Both hitting teams provided a catcher.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ May 26, 2007 -> 04:44 PM)
I'll suggest right now that we set up a future game sometime in early August.

Sign me up too.

I'd like to echo all of the happy reviews of the event. The game went off pretty well. I know we didn't have the greatest turnout, but those who didn't go should regret it. We all had a great time, both teams included. To be honest, I cannot wait to play this again next year. The WSI team was a lot of fun to play against, and I believe they had a pretty good time as well. I do want to thank Greg, Tito, NSS, and Kap, along with a really special thank you to Mario and Wilkes for their work in getting this event organized. Because it was a completely new event, there were somethings we all learned, and we are ready to make it a bigger and better event in the future. Keep an eye for Comiskey Cup II coming to a message board near you.

Here are the Handsome Soxtalk Playa's

All of the brave participants

I'd like to echo all of the happy reviews of the event. The game went off pretty well. I know we didn't have the greatest turnout, but those who didn't go should regret it. We all had a great time, both teams included. To be honest, I cannot wait to play this again next year. The WSI team was a lot of fun to play against, and I believe they had a pretty good time as well. I do want to thank Greg, Tito, NSS, and Kap, along with a really special thank you to Mario and Wilkes for their work in getting this event organized. Because it was a completely new event, there were somethings we all learned, and we are ready to make it a bigger and better event in the future. Keep an eye for Comiskey Cup II coming to a message board near you.

Hear hear!