Sox welcome young pitchers' hunger.

chisox72

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

"I hope I'm as good as I'm made out to be," said Danks, a first-round draft pick of the Rangers who was acquired with reliever Nick Masset and minor-league pitcher Jacob Rasner in exchange for McCarthy.

"It's time to start proving I'm good enough to be on a big-league club, even if it's not right out of camp," said Danks, 21. "I'll go to Triple-A and pitch my [rear] off and put the pressure on them."

"You move a guy who was well-known like Garcia, as well as McCarthy …" Danks said. "Most of us are unknown. I know Gavin and Nick have had some [major-league] time. None of us are established or proven, but if we pitch to our capabilities, we can make Kenny look good.

"That's the kind of mentality I'm taking—make the trade a good trade for the White Sox, not even at best. Make it a steal for the White Sox."

This is the kind of stuff I like seeing. I like this kid even more now. Its good to have these guys going into ST with their heads planted squarely on their shoulders and ready to work.

This quote from Javy sums it all up though, especially for those that still crab about this fifth starter spot...

"[The rotation] has to get the job done," said Vazquez, who shouldered his share of responsibility for his 11-12 mark. "That's the bottom line. We need more consistency and hopefully that can get us back to the World Series. That's our main goal. We have the group and know we can do it. It's all about putting it together."

This just made my morning... I really hope Danks has an excellent ST.

Anyways Danks attitude is awesome... He is demonstrating responsibility to his high prospect rating and wants to make Kenny look good for giving up an aweful lot to be aqcuired.

Javy is also showing responsibilty from his actions last year going into this year. He knows it is extremely important for him this year to be successful (and not only in the first 5 innings).

I say the X-factor in our rotation going into 2007 will be Javy.. I said the same about Contreras going int 2005.. go back and look at the Soxtalk Vault. I said if Contreras can put it together we can be damn good! Well same for Javy this year... if Javy can find it.. look out Detroit!

For most of the so-called "experts" around the league, this is what they're missing with the sox pitching. Instead of getting washed-up, mediocre at best veterans, the sox are looking to win with young pitchers who have a lot of talent, natural ability, and hunger to pitch in the bigs. The pundits will go for the names of known guys over the young guys every time.

That's why most experts will say the Cubs improved their pitching more than the Sox. For 2007. Lilly, Marquis and Cotts are known guys. Which group will pitch better in 2007? That may be a toss up. But for the long term, the sox group of arms will no doubt best the Cubs overpaid and mediocre bunch.

The track record of young pitchers coming into both leagues and making an immediate, positive impact in recents yrs has been pretty solid. Esp, in the AL which is a tougher league. The tigers, Red Sox, A's have had those young pitchers to keep them in the pennant chase. The same should apply to the White sox.