Jose Valentin

BridgeportHeather

Jose Valentin could've cost us this game. He didn't apply the tag on that slide into second, and cannonned the ball waaaaaaaay past Frank on a wild throw in the 8th, giving the Twins two second chances. It's a relief that they didn't cost us in the long run; however, I was very perplexed today with Jose. He seems to be swinging for the fence as well, which is taking the bat out of his hands. I hope Jose can get back to the Mr. Clutch he was in 2000.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jose Valentin STINKS

I'm tired of people always defending him..Oh, he can get to balls no other shortstops can't...give me a f***in break..he sucks.

and he's not even hitting, so he's even more useless...Would anyone reject moving Jimenez to short and putting Harris at 2nd??? I sure wouldn't...

Jimenez won't be able to handle short, let us wait for him to fully develope into a second baseman first.

unless we pull off a trade for a young shortstop, Valentin is here to stay. the bad thing is even if we were to get a new one, it would mean our season is over as it will most likely be done as a fire sale.

Jimenez won't be able to handle short, let us wait for him to fully develope into a second baseman first.

unless we pull off a trade for a young shortstop, Valentin is here to stay.  the bad thing is even if we were to get a new one, it would mean our season is over as it will most likely be done as a fire sale.

Why wouldn't Jimenez be able to handle short..his natural position is short.

I'm sure he can reaclimate him self to short...

just because a player played a certain position in the minors, doesn't mean he can play it in the majors.

his range and arm lack too much to play short. I mean, I think he would be adequate there considering we'd have great defense at second with Harris and Crede at third, but unless we get a young shortstop, Valentin will have to start.

I think we have milked the Jose Cow for all he is worth.  Did anyone really expect much out of him in 2000?

When you think of it, no one really expected anything out of Jose or Cal Eldred. Just getting rid of Navarro was the preconceived upside to that trade. Everything either one of those two guys ever did for the Sox was a major bonus.

JOse Valentin almost cost us this game and nobody in here has gone mad at him....I think DJ can play SS and he can be a Jose type but hitting.

Jose Valentin is hitting like Clayton, and Clayton had a much better D than Jose.

JOse Valentin almost cost us this game and nobody in here has gone mad at him....I think DJ can play SS and he can be a Jose type but hitting.

Jose Valentin is hitting like Clayton, and Clayton had a much better D than Jose.

Clayton did not have many errors ... but you can't get an error if you don't get to the ball, either.

Clayton did not have many errors ... but you can't get an error if you don't get to the ball, either.

:huh: , Clayton was in all the balls that came to him and he every time he made the play that was supposed to. Jose needs to be dumped. He is old and is hitting nothing, and continues to make errors.

I dont like Clayton neither Jose. They both suck. When Clayton was here he was so criticized, and Jose is doing the same thing and worst and people around here is defending him. We need another SS that 1st play defense and 2nd play a little of offense (250 BA with 330 OBP, 25 SB).

Guest Ncorgbl
Jose Valentin could've cost us this game.  He didn't apply the tag on that slide into second, and cannonned the ball waaaaaaaay past Frank on a wild throw in the 8th, giving the Twins two second chances.  It's a relief that they didn't cost us in the long run; however, I was very perplexed today with Jose.  He seems to be swinging for the fence as well, which is taking the bat out of his hands.  I hope Jose can get back to the Mr. Clutch he was in 2000.

Valentin's errors rarely cost us a WIN, so they're just numbers for people to count and complain about, not much else. His batting average is down about 50 points from his high in 2000, and that is pretty much where Thomas, Maggs & Lee are, and better than Konerko. Valentin does get to balls Clayton wouldn't dream of, and his error last night was a wide throw with the runner in the way of a straight one, to KONERKO, not Frank.

Jose' is the spark on this team with little spark this year, and has been since 2000, and was the reason we were 'ahead of schedule' then. They should name him Captain.

i concede... he sucked.... but what the hell is the matter with jose? age?

I have wondered this too, but actually on a different level. I have wondered this before, but does anyone think Jose could have been a steroid user? His career kind of fits the pattern bad years, then a huge break out, followed by tons of injuries, and now after testing has begun his numbers have fallen off big time. Is this a crazy thought?

I really like Jose Valentin, and I think that when he's playing well, he's a HUGE part of this team. But, the simple fact is that he's playing like dog s*** this year. He's pretty much becoming an automatic out and rally killer, and his excessive errors are sickening. I thought for sure we were going to f*** up that game Tuesday and lose after the would-be DP was thrown away by Jose. I don't know if we'd be able to find a taker and trade him, but we really need to get him out of here before he starts costing us games.

I was talking to a buddy of mine, and we both agreed that if the Sox could acquire Luis Castillo it would be perfect. We'd have a legitimate lead-off hitter and we could put him at 2B and move Jimenez (he's on my s*** list too, but I'm not ready to give up on him just yet) over to SS. Like Molto said, maybe he's not able to play SS at the ML level, but let him try it out for a few games. If he can't hack it, then we'll figure something out (like trading D-Lo and putting Graffy in there :D ).