April Games

SouthSidePride05

I know we shouldn't worry about attendance, and it's a tired subject, but I'm still interested to see what you all think the attendance will be like at USC in April. Unfortunately I'm stuck at a job with coworkers who happen to be Cub fans (only 2 other Sox fans in my department) and they always talk among themselves about Sox attendance.. and when it's high they turn it around with talk about bandwagoners. It's just fascinating how obsessed they are with all things Sox-related. I overhear them talk about the Cell all the time.. even more-so than Wrigley.

With that being said, I have a feeling they're gonna have a lot to talk about in April. I wouldn't be surprised if most games in April are half-full with the outfield seats and upper deck seats completely empty. Checking w/ ticketmaster and calling for tickets yesterday, April games, like every year, are selling the slowest. I also noticed during the broadcast the other day, Hawk, DJ and Brooks were begging the fans to get their tickets early, particularly for April. Personally, I think they should have cut all April ticket prices in half for "fan appreciation month" (in honor of last year's highest attendance record) and promoted the hell out of it. Again, I know it's something we shouldn't worry about it, but it does put a little damper on the excitement when that's all you hear about it April.

Edited by SouthSidePride05

QUOTE(SouthSidePride05 @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 12:43 PM)
I know we shouldn't worry about attendance, and it's a tired subject, but I'm still interested to see what you all think the attendance will be like at USC in April. Unfortunately I'm stuck at a job with coworkers who happen to be Cub fans (only 2 other Sox fans in my department) and they always talk among themselves about Sox attendance.. and when it's high they turn it around with talk about bandwagoners. It's just fascinating how obsessed they are with all things Sox-related. I overhear them talk about the Cell all the time.. even more-so than Wrigley.

With that being said, I have a feeling they're gonna have a lot to talk about in April. I wouldn't be surprised if most games in April are half-full with the outfield seats and upper deck seats completely empty. Checking w/ ticketmaster and calling for tickets yesterday, April games, like every year, are selling the slowest. I also noticed during the broadcast the other day, Hawk, DJ and Brooks were begging the fans to get their tickets early, particularly for April. Personally, I think they should have cut all April ticket prices in half for "fan appreciation month" (in honor of last year's highest attendance record) and promoted the hell out of it. Again, I know it's something we shouldn't worry about it, but it does put a little damper on the excitement when that's all you hear about it April.

The easiest way to deal with this is whenver a cub fans asks you about attendance just tell them the only number that really matters is 2005 which the last time I looked is > 1908.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 01:01 PM)
they fill up the closer to the game. depends on how warm it is outside too.

Exactly. If its nice the day of the game, people will buy a ticket at the park, if its crappy out, oh well. Support your team by tuning in.

I wouldn't care if I was the only person that showed up to a Sox game. I don't need to be sitting in the middle of a sea of fools in order to enjoy baseball.

Lemmings.

I merely alter my Earl Weaver quote and tell annoying Cubs fans something along the lines of, "The key to winning baseball games is not attendance."

QUOTE(tealeafreaderii @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 01:54 PM)
awesome news for me... I hate having to plan ahead to go to game. Did they raise ticket prices this year?

From what I've heard, they not only raised ticket prices, but have outsold last year in a same-time sales comparison.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 02:06 PM)
Whats with the link about Uribe? Are you trying to use misdirection?! :D

Read the last sentence....

The Sox are ahead of last year's pace in tickets sold and are close to surpassing the 2 million mark.

QUOTE(Damen @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 02:08 PM)
Read the last sentence....

Wow, you'd think they'd have more than a 1 line blurb in an unrelated article about such news...

I saw the Uribe headline and figured you mislinked...my bad. :D

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 02:11 PM)
Wow, you'd think they'd have more than a 1 line blurb in an unrelated article about such news...

I saw the Uribe headline and figured you mislinked...my bad. :D

No worries...I was impressed with my memory when I realized it only got the last sentence in the article when I searched for it.

QUOTE(SouthSidePride05 @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 05:43 PM)

Just ask the Cub fans in your office who's won the last two World Series. That should be enuff for them to stay quiet and take the shine off the imaginary attendance trophy.

QUOTE(SouthSidePride05 @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 12:43 PM)
Unfortunately I'm stuck at a job with coworkers who happen to be Cub fans (only 2 other Sox fans in my department) and they always talk among themselves about Sox attendance.. and when it's high they turn it around with talk about bandwagoners.

Wait a second, if Cubs fans talk about bandwagoners filling the seats at USCF, can't you just talk about the tourists and site-see'ers filling the seats at Wrigley?

Oh gawd not the attendance thing with Cub fans again.

They'll always outdraw us. So what? That has little to do with the quality of the team. OBVIOUSLY.

That aside, I love going to April games. Some of my favorite games are games when attendance was low but the crowd was LOUD AS HELL ANYWAY, and I'd be wearing my gloves and thermal tee under the jersey but happy as hell to be at a Sox game. Trust me, there'll be plenty of sold-out, crowded and obnoxious games all summer, enjoy the days of April. I always do.

On some of those games like the Cubs series or sellouts like 1/2 Way to St. Pat's you'll be missing those sparsely attended April games, LOL...

Thats just the way it is. And thats true for most teams. April is a low attendance month period. Only teams that are exempt are inelastic teams, meaning teams whose performance or other on field criteria don't equate to the ticket sales or attendance. Those are the teams who draw based on hype, stadium, history, name, popularity I.E.; cubs, yankees, redsox, dodgers,etc. Most teams must draw based on performance at some point. For the sox and a lot of other teams the summer months mean better weather, no school, free weeknights, pennance race, plus the warm day cold beer factor that you jsut dont get in April. So i dont think its really a big deal. I think thats just the way it is. Personally, my family and I dont really attack the April ticket market. My mom and sisters complain about the cold/wind/rain and wont have a good time in those conditions (they will whine) and frankly I enjoy the nice weather too so I can just focus on the game not being cold or having my nose run and such.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 03:14 PM)
Thats just the way it is. And thats true for most teams. April is a low attendance month period. Only teams that are exempt are inelastic teams, meaning teams whose performance or other on field criteria don't equate to the ticket sales or attendance. Those are the teams who draw based on hype, stadium, history, name, popularity I.E.; cubs, yankees, redsox, dodgers,etc. Most teams must draw based on performance at some point. For the sox and a lot of other teams the summer months mean better weather, no school, free weeknights, pennance race, plus the warm day cold beer factor that you jsut dont get in April. So i dont think its really a big deal. I think thats just the way it is. Personally, my family and I dont really attack the April ticket market. My mom and sisters complain about the cold/wind/rain and wont have a good time in those conditions (they will whine) and frankly I enjoy the nice weather too so I can just focus on the game not being cold or having my nose run and such.

Besides opening weekend, I don't think the Cubs sell out in April all that much either. I could be wrong though, cuz when I go...I go for the Old Style and the boobies.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 03:23 PM)
Besides opening weekend, I don't think the Cubs sell out in April all that much either. I could be wrong though, cuz when I go...I go for the Old Style and the boobies.

Sorry bud there just isn't that much boobie to see in April at wrigley when its 48 with 20 MPH winds and rain. There are a few bums though.