Ponson

whitesox61382

Should the Sox go after him if they are still in contention after the AS break? Gammons mentioned that the Sox might be after him if they continue to play well. The Sox have been mentioned with Ponson a couple of times in the past so it might be a realistic option. He will probably get a nice raise through arbitration this offseason if he continues to pitch well. Do you guys think the Sox should go after Ponson?

i think ponson is a one hit wonder and and youg guys should stay away although u prolly wont listen and get screwed over, plus who cares if your in contention, if you make the playoffs with a losing or 500 record ur ass is gonna get crushed 1st round anyways, and its not like we are talking about a very good team here like maybe, the cubs.

i think ponson is a one hit wonder and and youg guys should stay away although u prolly wont listen and get screwed over, plus who cares if your in contention, if you make the playoffs with a losing or 500 record ur ass is gonna get crushed 1st round anyways, and its not like we are talking about a very good team here like maybe, the cubs.

Cubs have a good record, but I wouldn't say the Sox would get crushed in the first round. Just like with the Cubs, the Sox have very good pitching and if good pitching gets into the playoffs anything can happen.

Not saying the Sox are a playoff team, cause until they prove they can do the small things they aren't in my mind. The same goes in my mind for the Cubs. Both teams have things to work on, but the Cubs are in better shape as of right now, mainly cause their pitching has been BETTER.

And they say a public school education is second rate . . .

Please allow me to translate for you corky.

and thay say a publik skul ejukatun is 2nd rate

let me tranzlat 4u

:D

If the Rangers deal Urbina for Weaver or if thats possible, what would people think of a Weaver for Koch trade?

I think you can never have too many starters and for the pen you can move guys from the rotation there, etc.

I really think all Weaver needs is out of the Yanks system.

If the Rangers deal Urbina for Weaver or if thats possible, what would people think of a Weaver for Koch trade? 

I think you can never have too many starters and for the pen you can move guys from the rotation there, etc. 

I really think all Weaver needs is out of the Yanks system.

I'm still a fan of Weaver. He still has good stuff, but how are you supposed to win in Steinbrenner's doghouse and pitching for the Yanks? Last year he was doing well with Detroit, and when he got to the Yankees he tanked. Coincidence? Like 3 years ago he was the next great thing...and i think he can still be an ace or #2. He was doing well with a crappy Detroit team. I'd do a deal for Koch. However, that shakes up the pen a bit, i guess you have Marte close, or possibly share it with Flash...would you insert Weaver into the rotation for Wright? That's a tough call

1. why do you say that and

2. i don't really care as long as he can pitch. I'd rather have good assholes than s***ty choir boys

First of all Weaver was drafted by the Sox, and refused to sign with us. Second of all he started all that s*** with the bench clearing brawl in 2000. Third of all he is such a bad teammate that once after plunking someone else he went into his clubhouse and b****ed that no one would stand up for him anymore, insulting his teammates to the point where one of his outfielders was going to beat his ass, and it took a coach to stop him. His teammates didn't care.

That probably seems like the safest option at this point. Even if we do make the playoffs somehow, is this team going to reach or win a World Series? Certainly not

SS2k3, i like Weaver's fire and intensity. I like guys with a mean streak. He was probly justified with his b****ing at teammates for not standing up for him if he was standing up for them.

That probably seems like the safest option at this point. Even if we do make the playoffs somehow, is this team going to reach or win a World Series? Certainly not

SS2k3, i like Weaver's fire and intensity. I like guys with a mean streak. He was probly justified with his b****ing at teammates for not standing up for him if he was standing up for them.

The problem was these guys hated his guts, and were sick of fixing the problems he started. The guy started like 3 brawls that year.

Weaver is old school. I'd love having him on this team. He also has phenomenal stuff.

If the Sox could add Weaver and Ponson for next year, then move Colon for our new shortstop (Sanchez) and Trot Nixon and maybe Fossum (If you throw in Colon I think you can do it). Then the Sox can move Jose for a good relief prospect (I'd think they could get that).

Then you really have a great foundation for next years club and the payroll would be about the same if not a little less.

It would be great if they could unload Konerko's contract though or even Carlos Lee. I wouldn't be against moving either of them once those other trades go down (If you have Nixon, Harris and Ordonez I won't complain; Borchard and Reed waiting in the wings; Webster and Co. a few years later).

Then of course if there is the potential to do a DJ and something for Castillo swap go for it. Not saying that will happen.

But think of this rotation and tell me it wouldn't be awesome and very young

Buehrle

Loaiza

Weaver

Ponson

Garland

Closer: Dan Wright/Damaso Marte

Pen: Ring, Munoz, Fossum, Ginter, etc (Rather weak, but sign two vets for a mill a piece or so and its pretty good). I love Dan Wright, but like some say he'd make a great closer, even though I think he's a heck of a starter.

Lineup

Castillo or Jimenez

Nixon

Thomas

Ordonez

Daubach

Crede

Olivo

Sanchez

Harris

Not as many poppers, but damn good speed and a much better mixture. This isn't even to say what the Sox could get for Carlos and Konerko. Don't think PK has much value, Carlos does have some value. Could land a good reliever (Mota, etc) or could grab another outfielder that fits in a different way (Better fundementals), could go for pitching prospects. Konerko will be for a high priced guy and maybe a prospect.

Heck if the Sox are going to dump Konerko's salary on anyone, it would be the Yanks that could maybe take it. Weaver does make some money so you could deal Konerko and Koch for Weaver and a prospect (Juan Rivera or maybe an infield prospect).

Sox cut payroll and find ways to afford to reup with Buehrle, etc.

I think you can get a boatload for Colon, and i like the Boston trade idea. Fills a lot of holes and makes us younger.

The projected rotation is nasty and has tons of potential, i like it. That lineup has some much needed speed and will have to play a different blend of baseball to score runs, but maybe they will have better approaches than jack for the fence every time up.

I thikn the pen problem can easily be fixed....there's always guys out there you can sign to help the pen. I think it's the easiest thing to fix through the FA market anyway.

I think you can get a boatload for Colon, and i like the Boston trade idea. Fills a lot of holes and makes us younger.

The projected rotation is nasty and has tons of potential, i like it. That lineup has some much needed speed and will have to play a different blend of baseball to score runs, but maybe they will have better approaches than jack for the fence every time up.

I thikn the pen problem can easily be fixed....there's always guys out there you can sign to help the pen. I think it's the easiest thing to fix through the FA market anyway.

I also forgot to add that this team would need a different manager to play that style of baseball. I could careless that Manuel says that the type of manager he is. He had six years to show me that and he hasn't.

Backman is the guy I want running that team.

To me that team has a few guys that can hit homers and speed all around them. Most of those guys are fundementally sound and having a coach that preaches the little things will force the others to be fundementally sound or get traded.

Damn would I love to see those things happen and I don't really think any of those deals are far fethced.

Yanks want a closer and can spend money. Red Sox could use a starter and good reliever.

In reply to that guy that said the Sox would get killed in the playoffs if they make it. That may or may not be true. The key to the playoffs is to be hot at the right time. The Angels were certainly not the most talented team in the playoffs last year, but they won the WS because they were on fire at the time. Thats the beauty of the playoffs. You throw out the records. It doesn't matter whether you won 120 games or 80 games.

I think the trade market is good for buyers, especially if you are taking on a big contract. Look at the JuanGone trade that fell through. Reports said that Texas was going to pay the remainder of his contract and received 2 marginal prospects from the Expos. If this is any indication of things to come, than I would much rather see the Sox hold onto Colon and get compensation via draft picks if they don't intend on resigning him. I would also like to see the Sox go after someone like Ponson who appears to be putting things together. It might only take a few marginal prospects to get him if the JuanGone trade that he rejected is an indication. The Sox might even be able to dump Konerko onto them if they feel he can rebound + a prospect. Or Lee and a marginal propsect. Or 2 marginal prospects like Gload/Hawkins and Hummel/Miles.

We will have to wait and see how things are when the dust settles. The next 5 games against the Twins are huge. After the Twins and Cubs the Sox have some easy teams before the AS break. Hopefully this time they can take advantage of them and put themselves in good position. Who knows maybe Sox fans might be able to say that the Sox are in 1st at the AS break. I hope they continue to play well and add a player or two for the stretch run instead of trading them away. This is a very weak division and 88 games might be enough to win it.

1. why do you say that and

2. i don't really care as long as he can pitch. I'd rather have good assholes than s***ty choir boys

First of all Weaver was drafted by the Sox, and refused to sign with us. Second of all he started all that s*** with the bench clearing brawl in 2000. Third of all he is such a bad teammate that once after plunking someone else he went into his clubhouse and b****ed that no one would stand up for him anymore, insulting his teammates to the point where one of his outfielders was going to beat his ass, and it took a coach to stop him. His teammates didn't care.

SS is right. Aside from the Jerry Springer security guard guest appearences, Weaver hates Chicago and I in turn hate his punk ass. This guy has lost it. He had great stuff with the Tigers, who had NO offense, then he goes to the Yanks with a great lineup behind him and what has he done? Not a damn thing...