Neal Cotts quote

RockRaines

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 20, 2007 -> 03:06 PM)
He has more fun than any guy in baseball. I think he wouldn't change if he was playing for the kind of money they pay College Professors or Texans with MBAs :D He'd still be out there with a smile. That was one thing that bugs me about some of these guys. You're getting paid huge amounts to play a frickin' game. Enjoy it.

It always looks like Ozuna is having a blast out there too :)

Perfect example of why I love MB...Ivan Rodriguez catches the foul ball above the Sox dugout and MB jokingly attempts to steal the ball out of his glove. Gotta love that he acts like one of the kids on a little league field. I really hope we re-sign him.

even though he kinda sucked in 04 and for most of 06, I have always been a fan of Cotts.

And Buehrle is just like you or me... except he is famous, rich as balls (or about to be), has a world series ring, and pitched a no-no in the majors.

I'll share a Mark Buehrle and a Neal Cotts story, just for the hell of it.

Buehrle

In September the year Mark got called up to the Sox, a friend and I met him and Matt Ginter at the ESPNZone after a Sox game. I had joked with Buehrle earlier that year that I would buy him a beer when he got to the big leagues. I introduced my buddy and we all started talking. I walked up to the bar to order beers for all of us and just as I was about to pay, MB tossed a $100 at the bartender, looked at me and told me to put my money away. I told him I owed him and to let me buy the damned beer and he replied, just drink the damned thing. My friend and I never paid for another drink the rest of the night.

This doesn't make him a hero by any means, but to me it tells a little bit about him. He took care of us even though we didn't ask for it, and actually told him not to. I might expect that more from an established big leaguer more so than a guy who was in AA a few months before.

Cotts

When Cotts go the call to go to the big leagues he was driven back to Birmingham while the team was in Chattanooga. He got back and started packing everything up and had a strange look on his face. He was all of a sudden worried he didn't have any clothes to wear. He had no suit, sports jacket or ties, which are required for team travel. Manager Wally Backman called to check in on him to see how they were doing. Neal asked him where to get a suit and Wally told him to look in his locker. Neal tried it on and it fit fine. Wally told him to keep it, it was his. Neal tried to write a check, but Wally told him no. He told him to keep the suit and never come back to AA.

No real point to that story, but I thought it was kind of interesting, nonetheless.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Apr 20, 2007 -> 10:29 PM)
I'll share a Mark Buehrle and a Neal Cotts story, just for the hell of it.

Buehrle

In September the year Mark got called up to the Sox, a friend and I met him and Matt Ginter at the ESPNZone after a Sox game. I had joked with Buehrle earlier that year that I would buy him a beer when he got to the big leagues. I introduced my buddy and we all started talking. I walked up to the bar to order beers for all of us and just as I was about to pay, MB tossed a $100 at the bartender, looked at me and told me to put my money away. I told him I owed him and to let me buy the damned beer and he replied, just drink the damned thing. My friend and I never paid for another drink the rest of the night.

This doesn't make him a hero by any means, but to me it tells a little bit about him. He took care of us even though we didn't ask for it, and actually told him not to. I might expect that more from an established big leaguer more so than a guy who was in AA a few months before.

Cotts

When Cotts go the call to go to the big leagues he was driven back to Birmingham while the team was in Chattanooga. He got back and started packing everything up and had a strange look on his face. He was all of a sudden worried he didn't have any clothes to wear. He had no suit, sports jacket or ties, which are required for team travel. Manager Wally Backman called to check in on him to see how they were doing. Neal asked him where to get a suit and Wally told him to look in his locker. Neal tried it on and it fit fine. Wally told him to keep it, it was his. Neal tried to write a check, but Wally told him no. He told him to keep the suit and never come back to AA.

No real point to that story, but I thought it was kind of interesting, nonetheless.

The second story seems like a good story about Wally, not Cotts... :D

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 20, 2007 -> 10:37 PM)
The second story seems like a good story about Wally, not Cotts... :D

You're right it is, but if you saw Neal's reaction and how he was overwhelmed with the whole situation, yet seemed fixated on writing Wally a check, you see what a real, quality person Neal is as well.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 20, 2007 -> 11:31 AM)
Mark Buehrle's the best. I'll miss him.

He'll be missed, but he's already earned a spot in my personal hall of fame of baseball players (while he's no Pedro or Maddux, he is included with those guys as some of my favorite all time players to watch/cheer for).

I always liked Neal Cotts 2, even though he is a Cubby im a fan of his unless he is pitching vs us. Im still holding out that we can keep control of Buerhle. Id like both him and Garland to both be here for a long time. I wouldnt mind losing Contreras after this season to open a rotation spot and than maybe moving Vazquez the off-season after that if required.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 21, 2007 -> 05:06 PM)
He'll be missed, but he's already earned a spot in my personal hall of fame of baseball players (while he's no Pedro or Maddux, he is included with those guys as some of my favorite all time players to watch/cheer for).

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

what he said. For some unexplained reason, I am optimistic that Mark will remain in a Sox uniform.