Joe B.

Jim Fainter

Can't he get some intensive coaching? The Sox have invested a lot in this guy, and I don't just mean bonus money. I'm on record as not being optimistic about his future, but I'd sure like to be proven wrong. The Sox have a pretty good tradition in CF, at least in my lifetime. I'd like to see some long term stability at that position.

Do you think the White Sox might consider trading him to a team before the deadline along with some pitching for a big bat(Giles or Beltran). To me it wouldn't hurt because well he hasn't done anything and if we can get a star like Giles or Beltran for him(Both LHs who can play CF), and if we do trade him we would need to do it soon before his stock could fall really far.

Let's look back at the Minor League career of another highly touted prospect...

This player was drafted in 1997 and played short-season ball. Nice debut

1998 - Sent to Low A and had a solid year. Hit .285 with 11 HR and 65 RBI in 134 games.

1999 - Started in High A and played half the season. Promoted to AA for a short stop on the way to AAA. Even got a few games in the Bigs as a Sept. callup. He hit roughly .330 with 18 HR and 81 RBI. He was anointed a big time prospect. He was the Big Club's #1 prospect and was voted the top prospect in each of the three Minor Leagues he played in that year.

2000 - Supposed to be his breakout year... He goes back to AAA and flopped. He hit .243 with 16 HR and 66 RBI. Definitely much worse than expectations.

2001 - Sent back to AAA and raised his average to .281 but his power #'s dropped to 12 HR and 52 RBI. At this point he was considered a major disappointment and many questioned whether he would ever make it.

2002 - He was given the opportunity to start with the Big Club and had a solid year, after a slow start. The Big Club remained patient and it proved worthwhile. He hit over .280 and had over 20 Hr and 100 RBI. He was finally starting to realize the potential.

2003 - The potential is finally realized and he is having a monster year. He will be playing in the All-Star Game in a few weeks at Comiskey and is finally realized everyone's expectations that they had for him for several years.

It doesn't exactly parallel Joe B's situation, but does show that patience can be rewarded. I'll let you guys guess who it is.

1st my fault, to Zach I thought he was responding to me.

Rex I think your guy is Vernon Wells

You are correct, Joel.

Joe B. may not turn out to be Vernon Wells, but his situation does show that patience can be a good thing. Not every prospect climbs up the ladder without setbacks.

1st my fault, to Zach I thought he was responding to me.

Rex I think your guy is Vernon Wells

You are correct, Joel.

Joe B. may not turn out to be Vernon Wells, but his situation does show that patience can be a good thing. Not every prospect climbs up the ladder without setbacks.

Vernon Wells and Corey Patterson and Soriano don't need to excellent pitch recognition/SZ judgement because their bats are lightening quick, which allows for room for error.

Borchard's bat is slower than Thomas's from what I've seen of his call-up, but unlike 35-Frank, he has no eye either.

Giving up on Joe is crazy, but I am very disappointed, wrist injury or not.

It is Vernon Wells, boy whatever they are putting in the Gatorade in Toronto I would sure like here in Chicago, See Tom Wilson and Greg Myers for example.

Just as an aside I was one who wanted us to sign Myers this off season, as our old man catcher, but we got Alomar instead.

JMO but I don't think you can compare Wells and Borchard's time in the big leagues. The reason Wells didn't put up #s sooner was because there wasn't much playing time up there in Toronto with Mondesi, Stewert, Cruz JR, and him in the same OF. Borchard on the other hand has been given playing time he just hasn't done much in the majors.

JMO but I don't think you can compare Wells and Borchard's time in the big leagues.  The reason Wells didn't put up #s sooner was because there wasn't much playing time up there in Toronto with Mondesi, Stewert, Cruz JR, and him in the same OF. Borchard on the other hand has been given playing time he just hasn't done much in the majors.

Not true at all... Toronto was ready to move Stewart or Cruz three years ago to make room for Wells, but Vernon never stepped up.

I am not comparing Joe B and Vernon Wells, the players. I am only trying to point out that patience can be rewarded and that not all players develop at the same rate and without setbacks. Try not to read too much into it.

Not true at all... Toronto was ready to move Stewart or Cruz three years ago to make room for Wells, but Vernon never stepped up.

I am not comparing Joe B and Vernon Wells, the players.  I am only trying to point out that patience can be rewarded and that not all players develop at the same rate and without setbacks.  Try not to read too much into it.

Ok you may be right, I just don't see the same thing working out. Of course I hope I'm proven wrong. But when Wells 1st came up he showed the potential that everone thought he had(Not on a consistant basis but he did show his potential). I have not seen the same potential from Borchard yet, except for the future's game last year and a couple games against the Richmond Braves(my home team). Of course that is just from my sight and some people may see it diffrently.

I am not comparing Joe B and Vernon Wells, the players.  I am only trying to point out that patience can be rewarded and that not all players develop at the same rate and without setbacks.  Try not to read too much into it.

Ok you may be right, I just don't see the same thing working out. Of course I hope I'm proven wrong. But when Wells 1st came up he showed the potential that everone thought he had(Not on a consistant basis but he did show his potential). I have not seen the same potential from Borchard yet, except for the future's game last year and a couple games against the Richmond Braves(my home team). Of course that is just from my sight and some people may see it diffrently.

The potential was there in Birmingham for sure. So in a sense, with a strong year in 2001 and weak years in 2001 and 2002, you can compare that to Wells' big 1999 and down years in 2000 and 2001.

I am not trying to get into player analysis. That has been done for Joe ten times over.

Rex, you have a way of putting things in the proper perspective.  Patience is something that is in short supply on this board, in general.  Yes... I know ... 1917 and all that.

LOL

Patience doesn't always pay off, but it sometimes does. I too have doubts about Joe, but I am not about to write him off. Many good/great players have had bumps in the Road to the Show, yet all ended up well.

Just keep reminding yourself:

Joe Borchard is a handful of years behind the young guys he is being compared with in terms of baseball experience. He's got to put in his time learning the intricacies of this game, as well as ironing out his swing. He spent the majority of his time in football while all other young baseball stars spent their time doing this in high school, college, etc. He didn't start focusing on baseball full-time until he was drafted.

Relax and let him learn. The light will come on...

Forkit

Wells and Borchard are basically the same age, both born in November of 1978.

I don't think it's fair to compare the two either, they are different types of players.

However the fact that Joe B hasn't improved definitely makes me wonder if he will ever make it. I think being the intelligent, hard worker he is, he should be able to at least become a solid everyday player. However, the chances of superstardom are dwindling IMO...