Chris Shelton

RME JICO

So what's up with this guy? He tears up April in 2006, then falls off the face of the earth when the Tigers sign Sean Casey. Now what is hilarious is that Shelton is a lifetime .280 hitter with very similar power numbers compared to Casey, but for some reason they like Casey over Shelton.

Why would Detroit keep Casey when Shelton is a cheaper alternative? Casey is batting .180 this season with 0 HRs and 1 RBI, while Shelton is batting .302, 1 HR, and 8 RBI in AAA. Is there something about Shelton that I am missing? I know he struggled later in 2006, which made them make the move for Casey, but it looked like he was back in the groove in Spring Training when Shelton batted .388 with 2 HRs compared to Casey at .278 and 0 HRs.

Even though the positions are different, this reminds me of the whole Anderson/Erstad situation, except Shelton had shown a pretty high ceiling.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 08:43 PM)
So what's up with this guy? He tears up April in 2006, then falls off the face of the earth when the Tigers sign Sean Casey. Now what is hilarious is that Shelton is a lifetime .280 hitter with very similar power numbers compared to Casey, but for some reason they like Casey over Shelton.

Why would Detroit keep Casey when Shelton is a cheaper alternative? Casey is batting .180 this season with 0 HRs and 1 RBI, while Shelton is batting .302, 1 HR, and 8 RBI in AAA. Is there something about Shelton that I am missing? I know he struggled later in 2006, which made them make the move for Casey, but it looked like he was back in the groove in Spring Training when Shelton batted .388 with 2 HRs compared to Casey at .278 and 0 HRs.

Even though the positions are different, this reminds me of the whole Anderson/Erstad situation, except Shelton had shown a pretty high ceiling.

I don't know any more than you do, but my perception is that they because they made it to the WS last year, and want to win it this year, they want to go with someone who is proven and not take a gamble with the kid.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 11:14 PM)
I don't know any more than you do, but my perception is that they because they made it to the WS last year, and want to win it this year, they want to go with someone who is proven and not take a gamble with the kid.
The odd thing is he played in 109 games in 2005, batted .299 (OBP .360), then played in 115 games in 2006, batted .273 (OBP .340, .806 OPS).

Casey on the other hand, batted .245 with the Tigers in 2006 with a .286 OBP (.650 OPS). All numbers were worse than Shelton's. Then Shelton had a better spring and ended up in AAA. Now he is playing solid in AAA while Casey is batting worse than almost every hitter in the AL, yet he still plays.

Just kind of odd. Somehow I think it has to do with Leyland.

Shelton is an awful fielder. He is probably the exact opposite of Mark Teixeira as far as a player. He blew up early last season then tapered off accordingly. I actually like Casey, hes a good team player and leader. He had a huge second half last year if I remember correctly and contributed big after being traded and in the playoffs.

QUOTE(Dan @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 11:57 PM)
Shelton is an awful fielder. He is probably the exact opposite of Mark Teixeira as far as a player. He blew up early last season then tapered off accordingly. I actually like Casey, hes a good team player and leader. He had a huge second half last year if I remember correctly and contributed big after being traded and in the playoffs.
I think he did do some good things in the postseason, but I don't know how a .245 AVG with a .286 OBP is anything other than mediocre.

I guess it is just odd to see the Tigers stick with him when they already know what they are going to get from him, and that is something less than Shelton. I guess the defense is the biggest factor.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 11:30 PM)
but neither can hit

not disagreeing with you there but Shelton doesn't = Anderson and Casey doesn't =Erstad? Also, Erstad has moments of brilliance yet no one here gives him a chance. He is getting old but I still like the sonuvab****.

IIRC correctly, Shelton started off the year on fire last year, and completely hit a wall after his initial offensive explosion. Does anyone have any of his minor league numbers after he was sent down? Im curious if he recovered.

They originally picked up Casey because they it was such a righty-dominated lineup, and if you put Shelton back in there, it would remain a non-balanced lineup.

Granderson (L)

Polanco ®

Sheff ®

Maggs ®

Guillen (S)

Pudge ®

Shelton ®

Monroe ®

Inge ®

First base and DH were where they could have upgraded big time over the offseason. They did well with Sheff at DH (well... maybe), but based on production alone, Casey was a debatable re-signing.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 23, 2007 -> 12:31 PM)
Casey was the only Detroit hitter who was even alive during the World Series. Not sure why he is still up there though. Shelton is the better player.

Its because Ozzie hates him. He is that powerful, because he makes the line ups.

QUOTE(Dan @ Apr 23, 2007 -> 12:07 AM)
Obviously. Shelton is a defensive liability and doesn't show much heart.

Casey does save some errors from Guillen and Inge, is a leader, and is truely expected to hit better than he is right now. I genuinely don't understand what they're doing with Shelton though, but I really did think he won his place in 2005, but who knows with the Tigers. Hell, look at Shefield and his 'hot start' to this season.