School stages fake gun attack

Balta1701

Um...yeah...and someone thought this was a good idea?

Staff members of an elementary school staged a fictitious gun attack on students during a class trip, telling them it was not a drill as the children cried and hid under tables.

The mock attack Thursday night was intended as a learning experience and lasted five minutes during the weeklong trip to a state park, said Scales Elementary School Assistant Principal Don Bartch, who led the trip.

“We got together and discussed what we would have done in a real situation,” he said.

During the last night of the trip, staff members convinced the 69 students that there was a gunman on the loose. They were told to lie on the floor or hide underneath tables and stay quiet. A teacher, disguised in a hooded sweat shirt, even pulled on a locked door.

After the lights went out, about 20 kids started to cry, 11-year-old Shay Naylor said.

“I was like, ‘Oh My God,’ “ she said. “At first I thought I was going to die. We flipped out.”

The teachers should take steps to protect themselves from irate parents, because I sure would be one. I have anger issues, especially when it comes to people messing with my kids. I think this would set me off as a parent. Some teachers would get some serious bruising.

QUOTE(The Critic @ May 14, 2007 -> 02:52 PM)
Lawsuits coming in 5..........4...........3.............2.....................

And I hope they win as much as they possibly can, and some people lose their jobs. People this stupid should not be allowed to teach children.

Without warning and without prior notice to parents is simply inexcusable. I am amazed and disgusted that the entire heirarchy in this school gave the ok to do this and not one of them disagreed with it( i dont believe the principal had no idea). The entire school should be fired and re-staffed.

Edited by kyyle23

I read that the only punishment those responsible got was to be suspended for the remainder of the year without pay. 2 weeks, that's it. People have been jailed for less. The people who decided that should be ashamed of themselves.