They're back!

BearSox

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 24, 2007 -> 09:41 AM)
Its not like this guy wasnt shutting down other teams.

We were actually putting some decent swings on the ball as well. I think we rebound next time out.

Chad Guadin 4-1 2.58 ERA, and a 1.23 WHIP .238BAA Good slider. Lefties are hitting .280 against Chad.

and now we face

Right hander James Shields 3-0 with a 2.94 ERA and a .92 WHIP and a .199 BAA. He has a good slider, and a good changeup. Lefties are hitting .186 against him.

A guy with a good slider and good changeup. The next few days of Shields, Kazmir, Johan and Boof will give us a better idea of how the offense has matured.

Here is someone talking about shields on Sickels site.

Shields

is a really good pitcher. His fastball was sitting at 89 but it may have just been a slow gun. I've seen him up to at least 94 and he usually sits at 89-92. His fastball does have just average velocity, but it doesn't matter most of the time. He spots it extremely well. Gets ahead in counts because he can locate it on the outside half of the plate consistently, and most hitters will take that pitch early in the count because there's nothing you can really do with it.

His change is special. No one can hit it unless he leaves it up. It's the best change-up of any right handed starter in the game today, and it's not close. His curve is fringy average. He does a good job of knowing when to throw it though, and as you said, surprises people with it, witch makes it effective. I've seen it better than it was yesterday, and it's flashed as an above-average pitch, but it's not consistent at all.

His control and smarts is what makes him so effective. He knows when to throw his curve, his fastball is located extremely well, and his change is a plus-plus pitch that when thrown well (which it is 90+% of the time) is nearly unhittable.

So we have a right handed pitcher who has a plus change, who attacks low and away. Yeah the offense will break out against him.

Edited by southsideirish71

If the location of pitches on GameDay was correct, Gaudin was pitching an incredible game. Every single pitch was on the edge of the strike zone. I did not see any pitches catch much of the plate.

I'll give the guy some props instead of taking it out on our hitters or hitting coach.

Sorry guys but 2 out of 3 against Oakland?

Take it, I will.

Not about to complain. Yeah, no "O" last night but after three insane days of run-scoring, you figured there's gotta be an off night.

As long as we win series, we're good to go. I see this whole Oakland thing as a positive.

As I mentioned on page 1 of the game thread, the White Sox SUCK at sweeping teams.

Now 6-13 in their last 19 opportunities to sweep, 0 for their last 5 overall, 0-3 this season.

Something about Ozzie and day game lineups on getaway day (and not a very good/deep bench right now) probably contributes greatly to this (I know it was a night game last night).

Edited by Hideaway Lights

QUOTE(fathom @ May 23, 2007 -> 11:46 PM)
Go back in look in the game thread....people were questioning why Garland was starting that inning well before we got into trouble. I can't imagine how someone watching the game tonight would have thought putting Garland back on the mound for the 7th was a good idea.

Guillen always does this, where have you been? He likes to give his starters the chance to stick it out, pitch through seven and possibly get the win if the offense comes around. It's not like there was a lead to protect in this one.

And the run totals the last four games before Tuesday: 6, 10, 8 and 10.

BLOW THE WHOLE f***ING THING UP!

QUOTE(vandy125 @ May 24, 2007 -> 11:18 AM)
If the location of pitches on GameDay was correct, Gaudin was pitching an incredible game. Every single pitch was on the edge of the strike zone. I did not see any pitches catch much of the plate.

I'll give the guy some props instead of taking it out on our hitters or hitting coach.

The guys been fantastic this season. Now 4-1, 2.58 ERA, 1.23 WHIP, .238 BAA...just tip the caps and go get the Devil Rays.

QUOTE(AirScott @ May 24, 2007 -> 06:44 PM)
Guillen always does this, where have you been? He likes to give his starters the chance to stick it out, pitch through seven and possibly get the win if the offense comes around. It's not like there was a lead to protect in this one.

And the run totals the last four games before Tuesday: 6, 10, 8 and 10.

BLOW THE WHOLE f***ING THING UP!

The guys been fantastic this season. Now 4-1, 2.58 ERA, 1.23 WHIP, .238 BAA...just tip the caps and go get the Devil Rays.

Against the rest of the league, he has a 3.12 ERA. Against the Sox, he has a .62 ERA.