They're back!

BearSox

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 23, 2007 -> 10:07 PM)
Looks like that offensive outburst from the past 3 days were just a mirage... Hey, at least Lost was on. I tivo-watch between comercials...

You mean they weren't going to undefeated the rest of the season?!?

DAMMIT!!!!

QUOTE(Brian @ May 23, 2007 -> 10:18 PM)
Gaudin is actually good. Look at his numbers. Not totally unacceptable.

Thats his first shutout of the year.

If we thought Gaudin was tough, we have some more fun coming up. Shields and his .92 WHIP with sub 3 ERA on Friday. His out pitch is a change and a curveball. Sounds like he is walking into a hornets nest facing our lineup. Kazmir, lefty, good on Sunday. And Johan and Boof on Monday and Tuesday.

The only thing going for us is that Tampa's offense is cold right now.

QUOTE(Brian @ May 23, 2007 -> 10:18 PM)
Gaudin is actually good. Look at his numbers. Not totally unacceptable.

Let's see Gaudin's numbers come July... I am not sold on him. I haven't been impressed at all by his stuff.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 24, 2007 -> 03:27 AM)
You mean that Pablo is not the best bat to come off the bench with the bases loaded.

That, letting Garland start the 7th, and letting Erstad face a tough lefty were mind-boggling managerial decisions. Erstad is worse than most pitchers against LHP.

That, letting Garland start the 7th, and letting Erstad face a tough lefty were mind-boggling managerial decisions. Erstad is worse than most pitchers against LHP.

Devil's advocate would say Garland might be a better option in the seventh than our horrid relievers

(of late anyway).

And the Sox bench is not exactly full of good hitters.

I'm not an Erstad fan but I am not so sure anything would have mattered.

Face it ... unless the Sox come out and bash 2 or more homers in a game, they are cooked

offensively. It's a home run hitting team nothing else.

QUOTE(greg775 @ May 23, 2007 -> 10:34 PM)
Devil's advocate would say Garland might be a better option in the seventh than our horrid relievers

(of late anyway).

And the Sox bench is not exactly full of good hitters.

I'm not an Erstad fan but I am not so sure anything would have mattered.

Face it ... unless the Sox come out and bash 2 or more homers in a game, they are cooked

offensively. It's a home run hitting team nothing else.

Garland with a 107 pitches, who has been hit pretty well throughout the game and has worked to put them away, a contact pitcher mind you was the best option????

Hall hits lefties, he has decent power. He is on the team with a torn labrum because he hits lefties. So if you are going to use him against Ted Lilly in the crosstown series, why wouldnt use him against Jay Marshall down by 4 runs. Pablo Ozuna is a pinch runner. He is not the guy you bring up with the bases loaded late in the game.

Konerko and the rest are tipping their caps. Stop tipping your cap, and hit the f***ing ball.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 23, 2007 -> 08:24 PM)
Let's see Gaudin's numbers come July... I am not sold on him. I haven't been impressed at all by his stuff.

It shouldn't be much of a surprise...Gaudin pitched well. I wouldn't exactly write the offense off though, its been making some great strides fundementally (and the results have shown, sans today).

Garland really battled tonight and probably shouldn't have been out there in the 7th (wouldn't have matter either way I understand he was leaving Jon in to try and reward him hoping he'd have an easy 7th and the offense would somehow pick him up). He's really proving that he can go 6/7 and keep the squad in the game even when he is truly off his game (the guy has been stellar for the club all season).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 23, 2007 -> 11:17 PM)
It shouldn't be much of a surprise...Gaudin pitched well plus he's a lefty. I wouldn't exactly write the offense off though, its been making some great strides fundementally (and the results have shown, sans today).

Garland really battled tonight and probably shouldn't have been out there in the 7th. He's really proving that he can go 6/7 and keep the squad in the game even when he is truly off his game (the guy has been stellar for the club all season).

Gaudin is a righty... You weren't watching the game from your miror again, were you? :bang

My bad. I was looking online and saw him down as a lefty (I only saw the last inning Jon pitched and was doing work at that point in time as well so I can't say I was paying attention). And that would be because I'm confusing Gaudin with Chacin (so nevermind).

QUOTE(Iguchicago @ May 24, 2007 -> 04:09 AM)
You guys would still call Ozzie an idiot if he took Garland out before the 7th, and a reliever gave up those runs. It's not like our pen has been dominating lately.

Go back in look in the game thread....people were questioning why Garland was starting that inning well before we got into trouble. I can't imagine how someone watching the game tonight would have thought putting Garland back on the mound for the 7th was a good idea.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ May 24, 2007 -> 05:16 AM)
I had us losing this one before the game started. We're incapable of sweeping a team right now.

On Comcast, they said that's 6 straight times we've failed to sweep a team after winning the first two games.

Also, I hope I didn't understand this right, but Ozzie said he put Garland back on the mound for the 7th so that he could retire one hitter and leave with confidence. I guess retiring the side in order during the 6th inning lowered Garland's confidence.

QUOTE(Iguchicago @ May 23, 2007 -> 11:09 PM)
You guys would still call Ozzie an idiot if he took Garland out before the 7th, and a reliever gave up those runs. It's not like our pen has been dominating lately.

You've really misread this group then.

so, I went to this game. My bro (damen) kindly paid for me. This is the second game I've seen this season before I'm off to mizzou for the summer. In 2 games, 18 innings, I've seen the sox score 1 run. That one run was walked in. These pitchers? No, not Santana or Sabathia or Bonderman, De Los Santos and Gaudin. On top of that we were sitting in the bleachers, next to the most obnoxious idiot fans I've ever sat next to, and behind us the most benign chatter about childrens movies nonstop for the entire game, and when the entire bleachers were yelling to throw the home run ball back, I just put my head down and thought "I just may have decided to go to the worst white sox game ever"/

QUOTE(fathom @ May 24, 2007 -> 12:28 AM)
On Comcast, they said that's 6 straight times we've failed to sweep a team after winning the first two games.

Also, I hope I didn't understand this right, but Ozzie said he put Garland back on the mound for the 7th so that he could retire one hitter and leave with confidence. I guess retiring the side in order during the 6th inning lowered Garland's confidence.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not sitting here acting like taking 2/3 is a bad thing. I just hate the fact we don't seem to have any killer instinct when going for a sweep. It's like their content taking 2/3. f*** that s***.

QUOTE(bmags @ May 24, 2007 -> 01:53 AM)
so, I went to this game. My bro (damen) kindly paid for me. This is the second game I've seen this season before I'm off to mizzou for the summer. In 2 games, 18 innings, I've seen the sox score 1 run. That one run was walked in. These pitchers? No, not Santana or Sabathia or Bonderman, De Los Santos and Gaudin. On top of that we were sitting in the bleachers, next to the most obnoxious idiot fans I've ever sat next to, and behind us the most benign chatter about childrens movies nonstop for the entire game, and when the entire bleachers were yelling to throw the home run ball back, I just put my head down and thought "I just may have decided to go to the worst white sox game ever"/

I gotta agree with you on the atmosphere in the outfield. Monday was the preoccupation of the wave and then last night was just irritating. It being some sort of Country Music night may ahve helped.

Garland struggled all night and with the offense not hitting, there was no way Garland shoud have come out in the 7th. Also Hall should have hit and AJ should have scored that was terrible.

Ozzie will not ph his back-up catcher for fear of losing him later in the game. If it is a walk-off situation he will use him.

Real bad loss and with three (I do not think Boof is good) good pitcher s coming up may be a rought few days here on Soxtalk. The Indians have beat Santana twic ethis year. The Sox need to figure something out fast aginst leftie's.