PAULIE!!!!!

sec159row2

Since 1990, Frank has hit 376 HRs for us, a team record. He also has driven in 1285 runs. He has batted .314 in his brilliant, HOF bound career. I would say he could be called the heart and soul of this team.

Now what has Koney done? Well obviously he cant be compared to Franks career numbers since hes only played 4 years in the majors. But lets compare second half stats. In 2002, PK hit .270 with 7 HRs and 33 RBIs down the stretch. Meanwhile, Frank hit .270 with 14 HRs and 38 RBIs. Now I thought Franks numbers would be much better than Koneys but really theyre about equal, with a little edge to Frank.

But still would you like to have Koney hit with these numbers in the second half of a season in which we are contenders? Not really...

I think both these players must be around next year but the average fan gives PK a little too much credit.

Guest hotsoxchick1
Originally posted by Chisoxfn

The one thing I do kind of wonder is why the Sox gave Konerko so much.  I do think he's getting paid quite hefty considering his age and the fact that salaries are on the decline.  I like Thomas a whole lot, but I'd think 3 yrs 18 mill would of been a lot more fair.

Konerko must have a great agent, cause he's getting a great deal. Thats a lot of money for a player his age.

me thinks they are banking on frank being gone and have broken into the piggy bank a little prematurly...they still have to sign buehrle yet and if they dont come up with comprable numbers for him then i feel he will be walking as soon as possible.. he can get better money elsewhere make no mistake about that.......im glad and all that they made the efforts to keep paulie so dont get me wrong here.. but we have other positions to keep full and i think they should have started with the most important first and filtered down through the ranks (kinda like s*** rolling downhill so to speak)........jmho.....

I know this much, I got a great feeling Frank will be back next year, and if thats the case then I definately want him playing for the Sox.

The guy is an amazing hitter, capable of doing anything at any at bat. He hits for avg, power, and is a great clutch hitter. The more I think about it, counting on younger players like Rowand, Jimenez, Crede, and Olivo it will be very important to have that extra power bat in Frank Thomas.

Great point on second half stats, Roman.

I can't argue with your stats. Good job.

I am glad Paul got signed for 3 years.

And if we keep Frank, that's fine also.

But I took exception to your heart and soul comment cause I think he's done some stupid things to be called our heart and soul.

Pauly was also playing with at least one injury (possibly two depending on how accurate reports were that were in the media). I just wish he could stay healthy for an entire year, it seems like he either is injured in the beginning of the year (foot in 2000, hand in 2001) or at the end (2002). I think roman just has it in for PK because PK and Thomas play the same positions. (Please keep in mind I am not say PK is the greatest, but he isn't as bad as some Sox fans make him out to be.)

Thanks greg.

As for the heart and soul thing, maybe you are right. Thomas has done some stubborn things lately and maybe for that hes not the heart and soul of this team. But hes still a big part of the Sox. Same with PK and Val. They do too much finger pointing to be the heart and soul but this team would be considerably weaker with out them.

The guys on this team who are the heart and soul are Maggs and MB. They never rag on their teammates. When Buehrle lost his last game this year and he only had 2 runs of support, he didnt say a word. He kept his composure. Even tho he pitched a great game and lost, he stayed calm. And Maggs is also calm and loved by his teammates. When Rocky Biddle hit that maggot Piersynski with a pitch because AJ had told Maggs to f*** off a few days before, that happened because this whole team loves Maggs. Do you think if AJ told, say, Liefer to f*** off, any of our pitchers woulda done anything? No. But since it was Maggs, I bet there were several pitchers wanting to come put one right in that punks teeth.

Also, you can always count on Maggs and Buehrle. When were down late in the game and Maggs steps up, I just know we can win. If were shooting for the playoffs and the game is crucial, once I see that Buehrle is pitching, I get that great feeling that were going to be playing in October!

These two are easily the heart and soul of this team.

Originally posted by theoldroman

Thanks greg. 

As for the heart and soul thing, maybe you are right. Thomas has done some stubborn things lately and maybe for that hes not the heart and soul of this team. But hes still a big part of the Sox. Same with PK and Val. They do too much finger pointing to be the heart and soul but this team would be considerably weaker with out them. 

The guys on this team who are the heart and soul are Maggs and MB. They never rag on their teammates. When Buehrle lost his last game this year and he only had 2 runs of support, he didnt say a word. He kept his composure. Even tho he pitched a great game and lost, he stayed calm. And Maggs is also calm and loved by his teammates. When Rocky Biddle hit that maggot Piersynski with a pitch because AJ had told Maggs to f*** off a few days before, that happened because this whole team loves Maggs. Do you think if AJ told, say, Liefer to f*** off, any of our pitchers woulda done anything? No. But since it was Maggs, I bet there were several pitchers wanting to come put one right in that punks teeth. 

Also, you can always count on Maggs and Buehrle. When were down late in the game and Maggs steps up, I just know we can win. If were shooting for the playoffs and the game is crucial, once I see that Buehrle is pitching, I get that great feeling that were going to be playing in October!

These two are easily the heart and soul of this team.

Sometimes you just have to get on your teammates. You can't just sit their and be quiet and think everything is hunky dorey. Sometimes someone needs to step up and wake everyone up. In Franks case he was whining like a baby...PK told him simply put to grow up and play for the team. I don't see anything wrong with that.

THats about the only time Konerko has went out and said something.

Valentin, now he whines and points fingers, thats I will agree cause he does it all the time while he's not producing. Valentin is lousy in my book and always will be lousy.

Originally posted by Mr. Showtime

Pfft!

Please.

If 40 plus errors a season is acceptable to you, then fine, but it ain't acceptable to me.

I'd accept it if he could hit .290-300 with power and not strike out a whole ton.

Of course he'll hit .250-260 with power and will strike out 120 times if he's playing everyday. Sorry, it don't do it for me.

Originally posted by Chisoxfn

If 40 plus errors a season is acceptable to you, then fine, but it ain't acceptable to me.

I'd accept it if he could hit .290-300 with power and not strike out a whole ton.

Of course he'll hit .250-260 with power and will strike out 120 times if he's playing everyday.  Sorry, it don't do it for me.

I don't have time for this garbage.

I dislike your views.

Valentin isn't a good shortstop, he's only a decent hitter, so basically, he's not worth much to us or anyone for that matter.

Most Sox fans would love to see him go and I am in that category.

He just doesn't do it for me.

Originally posted by abozichiu

Valentin isn't a good shortstop, he's only a decent hitter, so basically, he's not worth much to us or anyone for that matter.

Most Sox fans would love to see him go and I am in that category.

He just doesn't do it for me.

Youre not totally correct. There are many Sox fans who love Val, such as ncorgbl from mlb. As for me, Im neutral. I admire him for dumping the trend and staying with us for less money than he coulda got in Baltimore but his stats really arent that good. But he should stay with us. If Willie Harris had shown he could hit a little, Id put him at second and Jimenez at short. But since he hasnt Id put Jimenez at second and Val at short. However, dont get me wrong. i love Harris. He is al over the place. He plays very fundammentally, I love that.

I like Valentin cause with him at ss we won the division by a zillion games.

After he got moved all over the place we sucked and have sucked ever since.

I know ... he's not the only reason we won the division that year, but I sort of liked Valentin ever since that season.

For some reason I still like him.

Good points in the other post about Mark B and Maggs being our heart and soul.

Seems to me we've got 5-7 great players and we need to fill in better around them.

With our payroll restrictions it may be impossible to do.

Greg, I just don't think that the Sox won in 2000 because of Valentin and they didn't lose because Valentin was gone. They won in 2000 cause Cal Eldred and James Baldwin had career years while the offense all clicked. The bullpen was also great with Wunsch having a career year and other things.

Basically the 2000 Sox fluked into the playoffs. They were talented, but the pitching staff wasn't nearly as good as advertised.

The next two years the Sox were a different team due to injuries and a completely different pitching staff as well as lineup.

Originally posted by abozichiu

No matter how you look at it, if we lock up the nucleus of Mags, Konerko, Buehrle, Crede and Borchard long term and add a solid arm, the Sox will be in good shape to win the Central for years to come.

Look at it this way, once all of the Twins players (Hunter, Jones, Doug, Rivas, etc.) command more money, that team will be split up.  I'd even like to see us maybe go after Hunter or Jones when they are ready to bolt the Twins cities.  If the Indians lose Thome, write them off for a while.  Tigers and Royals, well, don't even need to mention them.  Neither has shown a commitment to win.

I hope the Sox realize that if they can lock up those 5 core players, this team could dominate a weak division for a few years, maybe more.

The Twins will not be able to keep that core together, mark my words on that. Pohlad is 10 times cheaper then JR and not only will he fail to land a free agent, but he will fail to resign most of his key players as time goes on.