Reed # 2 on BA Hot Sheet

Cerbaho-WG

Yes I did. I also noticed Aaron Hill made the top 10, but my boy Ricardo Nanita received no love with similar numbers.

Two things....

1. Aaron Hill was a 1st Rounder and came from LSU; Nanita was a 14th Rounder and from Florida International.. Self-explanatory, I think

2. Heather, do understand that the Prospect Hot Sheet changes weekly. It is more a list of prospects that are hot or cold. Who is on the list fluctuates greatly from week to week.

Rex, have you seen Reed up close and personal yet?  Comments?  I know, I know. What's not to like about Reed.  Still interested to hear what you have to say.  Tks.

Nope, they are still on the road. The Barons opened up the second half (when Reed joined them) on a 15-day, 13-game roadtrip. Tonight (if they play) is the last night of that trip. They return home tomorrow, so give me a few days.

Nope, they are still on the road.  The Barons opened up the second half (when Reed joined them)  on a 15-day, 13-game roadtrip.  Tonight (if they play) is the last night of that trip.  They return home tomorrow, so give me a few days.

We will be anxiously awaiting your report. :D

I found that article to be very informative. On the positive side, these statements caught my attention:

He can hit any pitch within the strike zone, and he simply refuses to swing at pitches off the plate. His approach is impeccable, and he is one of those guys who are just impossible to pitch to any one specific area.

--------- and---------

On the basepaths, Reed uses intelligence rather than pure speed to rack up his stolen bases. He appears quicker than he was last season (timed at 4.1 home-first earlier this spring), but his instincts and ability to read the pitcher are what give him the edge. He's a very sound baserunner and he is wisely aggressive. You will not see him running into outs, but he is able to turn most singles into a two-base advancement.

On the negative side, I'm just going to summarize things. He's considered average athletically. He's not athletic enough to be projected as a centerfielder, so the Sox are moving him to to right field. Yet, in right, his arm would not be considered an asset nor a hindrance.

All in all, he seems to be a pretty good prospect. They talk about 5 tool player, but they never consider the 6th tool, which in my opinion is the most important. That being the brain, or baseball savvy. See D'Angelo Jiminez for and example of a guy who has tools but lacks that one very crucial element. In a nutshell, that is why I am so optimistic about Aaron Miles.

I found that article to be very informative.  On the positive side, these statements caught my attention:

He can hit any pitch within the strike zone, and he simply refuses to swing at pitches off the plate. His approach is impeccable, and he is one of those guys who are just impossible to pitch to any one specific area.

--------- and---------

On the negative side, I'm just going to summarize things. He's considered average athletically. He's not athletic enough to be projected as a centerfielder, so the Sox are moving him to to right field. Yet, in right, his arm would not be considered an asset nor a hindrance.

All in all, he seems to be a pretty good prospect. They talk about 5 tool player, but they never consider the 6th tool, which in my opinion is the most important. That being the brain, or baseball savvy. See D'Angelo Jiminez for and example of a guy who has tools but lacks that one very crucial element. In a nutshell, that is why I am so optimistic about Aaron Miles.

By the way, I hate to be negative, but who the hell is the guy who wrote the article. If he saw Reed play a few times and came up with all of that, then he is either a superscout in disguise or should be working in baseball.

I apologize for my pessimism, but where is the credibility in baseballprospectus.com? Are they just fans who study and like the game? What are there backgrounds? What makes them an expert more so than some of the people on here (who albeit knowledgable I do not consider experts, including myself)?

I am not doubting Reed's talents at all, but I just wonder how someone can come up with such a thorough evaluation after only having seen the guy a few times?

Just about everyone from BP is a sabermetician, aka they create these wacky, but very useful, formulas that can gauge a player's worth and potential. These guys aren't merely fans, they're very intelligent guys who have studied the game for quite a long time.