Official Soxtalk.com: Rumor Mill!

MurcieOne

I would definitely trade Willie Harris for Ryan Dempster - however - I would not expect Dempster to be our number two guy right away. He hasn't had a good season in three years. However, at 25, he's got a ton of potential, and the fact that he did put up a good season at such a young age, he would be hard to pass up on. That could be the kind of steal the Cubs made when they got Clement last year.

Astacio for Lee? ugggh... he's already like 33, he's overpaid and he's had one good half season... i'd back away slowly from this offer.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a fan of Ryan Dempster ever since he's been in the bigs. Sure, he hasn't been great the last few years, but he's been better than most sox pitchers. In fact, he would've been second next to Buerhle next year. If Don Cooper can get him to better command that hard slider of his, it'll make his low nineties fastball that much more affective. I think Dempster would be a great pickup. Harris has good speed, but his defense is lacking, and I don't see all that much potential for him with the bat in his hands. Just as long as we're not giving up another big name prospect, then I would definately like to see Dempster in a Sox uniform. I was sad to see that Finley resigned with the Cards, because he was a favorite of mine and I would have loved to see him in the Sox rotation. There are still a few arms left in the free agent market, but I think Kenny Williams needs to act soon if he's going to pick someone up. I would definately like to see Colon in the rotation, but so would everyone else. And every other team in the league wants to see him in their rotation. I doubt Williams will be willing to give up all that it will take to get Colon. I think that Dempster is the way to go.:metal

Originally posted by WSFAN35

I've been a fan of Ryan Dempster ever since he's been in the bigs.  Sure, he hasn't been great the last few years, but he's been better than most sox pitchers.  In fact, he would've been second next to Buerhle next year.  If Don Cooper can get him to better command that hard slider of his, it'll make his low nineties fastball that much more affective.  I think Dempster would be a great pickup.  Harris has good speed, but his defense is lacking, and I don't see all that much potential for him with the bat in his hands.  Just as long as we're not giving up another big name prospect, then I would definately like to see Dempster in a Sox uniform.  I was sad to see that Finley resigned with the Cards, because he was a favorite of mine and I would have loved to see him in the Sox rotation.  There are still a few arms left in the free agent market, but I think Kenny Williams needs to act soon if he's going to pick someone up.  I would definately like to see Colon in the rotation, but so would everyone else.  And every other team in the league wants to see him in their rotation.  I doubt Williams will be willing to give up all that it will take to get Colon.  I think that Dempster is the way to go.:metal

Harris's defense is lacking? Were you watching Ray Durham and thought it was Willie Harris? The Willie Harris I saw could go to both his left and right....the only thing I didn't like was the average, and that will pan out eventually.

But a Harris for Dempster deal....that could not be turned down...we already have Jimenez, Hummel, Andy Gonzalez, Aaron Miles, and many others who could take over as 2B, and if we needed to do it, we could use Tony Graffanino as a 2B too.

Originally posted by witesoxfan

But a Harris for Dempster deal....that could not be turned down...we already have Jimenez, Hummel, Andy Gonzalez, Aaron Miles, and many others who could take over as 2B, and if we needed to do it, we could use Tony Graffanino as a 2B too.

True. One of the positions the White Sox are not hurting in for good players is 2B.

Originally posted by Cerbaho-WG

I just heard this, probably bulls***, but hey, rumors are fun!

A Montreal radio station is reporting that the exops are close to trading B Colon M Barrett and J Vidro to the whitesox for Carlos Lee,Jon Garland,Willie Harris and 2 minor leaguers

Jon Garland is all that troubles me with that trade. He's still too young to give up on in a trade. But we need a quality starter like Colon. JESUS CHRIST! Which way do I go if this trade is made? :eek

Originally posted by CubKilla

A Montreal radio station is reporting that the exops are close to trading B Colon M Barrett and J Vidro to the whitesox for Carlos Lee,Jon Garland,Willie Harris and 2 minor leaguers

Jon Garland is all that troubles me with that trade. He's still too young to give up on in a trade. But we need a quality starter like Colon. JESUS CHRIST! Which way do I go if this trade is made? :eek

This would have to be one of the hardest decesions I'd have to make as a soxfan..... Garland or Colon...... I really want Colon...... but Garland is my favorite player/

Sox interested in Shinjo.......

The team also has made inquiries about former Giants outfielder Tsuyoshi Shinjo, but not to replace Aaron Rowand, who is recovering from shoulder surgery after a recent dirt bike accident. Shinjo would be a spare part on the White Sox.

This would be a great trade except for the fact that we'd be giving up John Garland. Garland has what it takes to be a future Cy Young winner, and you may all laugh now, but just watch. Not to mention, aren't we trying to improve the rotation, losing Garland would be a huge hit. I'd much rather give up Danny Wright, even though it would be sad to see him leave. Lee is a great hitter and I'd miss him, but Liefer is also a pretty good hitter, who may become an awesome hitter if he plays everyday, and Borchard is waiting as well. I wouldn't miss Harris too much, because it would give a chance for Graffy to play everyday, plus we have Hummel who is just incredible. Just as long as Garland stays out of the deal, and Williams doesnt give up any top end prospects, I say go for it. Now that I've written all this, it seems as though Sox fans will not get their wish, but who knows.:metal

This would be a great trade except for the fact that we'd be giving up John Garland.  Garland has what it takes to be a future Cy Young winner, and you may all laugh now, but just watch.  Not to mention, aren't we trying to improve the rotation, losing Garland would be a huge hit.  I'd much rather give up Danny Wright, even though it would be sad to see him leave.  Lee is a great hitter and I'd miss him, but Liefer is also a pretty good hitter, who may become an awesome hitter if he plays everyday, and Borchard is waiting as well.  I wouldn't miss Harris too much, because it would give a chance for Graffy to play everyday, plus we have Hummel who is just incredible.  Just as long as Garland stays out of the deal, and Williams doesnt give up any top end prospects, I say go for it.  Now that I've written all this, it seems as though Sox fans will not get their wish, but who knows.:metal

I know for a fact RPS will agree with you on what you said about Liefer and I tend to agree. Hopefully, if we deal Lee and he plays everyday, Lief will be able to cut down on his K's when going to the plate 3 or 4 times a game.

Last year, I would of agreed with everyone on Liefer. He isn't that bad of a player, and should do a lot better if he knows he's playing. If Lee goes, I'd look for Liefer to bust his ass the rest of the offseason and do whatever he can to come up with a huge year.

Worse case scenario he hits .250 with 20 hr's and 60-70 rbi's while he holds the position for Borchard. Plus, it gives us a lefty stick in the lineup.

Originally posted by Chisoxfn

Last year, I would of agreed with everyone on Liefer.  He isn't that bad of a player, and should do a lot better if he knows he's playing.  If Lee goes, I'd look for Liefer to bust his ass the rest of the offseason and do whatever he can to come up with a huge year.

Worse case scenario he hits .250 with 20 hr's and 60-70 rbi's while he holds the position for Borchard.  Plus, it gives us a lefty stick in the lineup.

He would supply left-handed power, though I believe that kind of balance in a lineup is extremely overrated. The kind of balance I want is 5 fast guys or 5 guys who can put it into play(in other words, they don't strike out much...good OBP guys) and 4 power hitting guys, who hit the ball hard and hit it a long ways(they can have a high OBP, but you don't need it), or 4 of one and 5 of the other. That is a balanced attack....you got 2 guys at the top of your order who get on base and do things, then 3 straight guys who can go deep, then another who can get on base and does things, then 2 more who can go deep, and then one more to get on base, and that is a balance lineup.

Or you can get your lineup so unbalanced that in turn, it balances itself out....in other words, you get 9 guys that have the capability to hit 30 homers or more, and you wouldn't need a goddamn pitching staff...you score 1500 runs and give up 1250 at the same time...for example, I'll just makeup a lineup off the top of my head.

C - Mike Piazza

1B - Jim Thome

2B - Jeff Kent

3B - Troy Glaus

SS - Alex Rodriguez

LF - Barry Bonds

CF - Vladimir Guerrero

RF - Magglio Ordonez

DH - Manny Ramirez

If that lineup stayed healthy all year and could take the beating it takes, I could win 120 games with that lineup....pitchers would want to face no one in that lineup....and notice I have 2 left-handed bats in the lineup...given, that means little since they are all superb hitters, but I just wanted to make a point. That lineup is so unbalanced in the fact that there is only one, maybe two guys who could steal 40 bases at this time(being Guerrero and maybe A-Rod) that it balances itself out. Some kind of consecutive walks record could be set...and if you got all 9 hot at the same time, 10-15 runs could be scored in an inning. That lineup would cost around $150 million, so it is unlikely that will happen, but I just made up an example off the top of my head.

The reason I believe having a balanced lefty-righty attack is overrated is the fact that we didn't hit well against lefties this year...and we are a right-handed hitting powerhouse...we have 5 guys at the moment who could hit atleast .275 30 100 who are all right-handed. And we were not that great against left-handed pitchers....so what you're basically telling me is that if you want to add another left-handed bat into the lineup, you want to get even weaker against lefties?:huh

Originally posted by CubKilla

Dang CK, I dont see how you could actually turn down a trade like this. No offense to you but this would be the best thing thats happened to this team in a long time. We need to jump all over this while its still fresh!

Originally posted by theoldroman

Dang CK, I dont see how you could actually turn down a trade like this. No offense to you but this would be the best thing thats happened to this team in a long time. We need to jump all over this while its still fresh!

Jeez, I didn't know that 2 years was that long ago...the day KW took over was a terrible day...I'm thinking of slightly before that...like maybe September 24th....need a reminder? Here...maybe you'll figure it out.

Minnesota Twins 6, Chicago White Sox 5

Game Played on September 24, 2000 (D) at Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome

CHI A 0 0 0 0 1 0 4 0 0 0 - 5 12 0

MIN A 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 1 0 1 - 6 10 0

BATTING

Chicago White Sox AB R H RBI BB K PO A

Valentin ss 5 0 0 0 0 1 4 3

Graffanino 2b 5 0 1 0 0 0 1 4

Thomas dh 5 0 2 0 0 0 0 0

Ordonez rf 5 0 1 0 0 0 1 0

Lee lf 4 1 1 0 0 1 6 0

Konerko 1b 4 1 1 0 0 0 7 0

Perry 3b 2 0 2 0 0 0 2 0

Norton pr,3b 1 2 1 1 0 0 1 0

Wilson ph,3b 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Singleton cf 2 1 1 0 0 0 2 0

Abbott ph 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0

Christensen cf 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

C. Johnson c 4 0 2 3 0 2 5 0

Lowe p 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Buehrle p 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Barcelo p 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Wunsch p 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Howry p 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Beirne p 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Totals 39 5 12 4 0 5 29 7

FIELDING -

DP: 2.

BATTING -

2B: C. Johnson (8,off Mays).

SH: Singleton (10,off Mays).

Minnesota Twins AB R H RBI BB K PO A

Jones lf 3 0 0 0 0 1 2 0

Hunter ph,lf 2 1 1 0 0 0 0 0

Hocking ss,1b 5 0 2 1 0 2 4 4

Lawton rf 5 2 3 1 0 0 5 0

Coomer 1b 3 0 0 0 0 0 6 0

Rivas ss 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 1

Ortiz dh 3 0 0 0 1 0 0 0

Koskie 3b 4 1 1 1 0 0 0 0

Canizaro 2b 4 1 1 0 0 1 1 2

Pierzynski c 4 1 2 3 0 0 5 0

Barnes cf 3 0 0 0 0 1 5 0

Mays p 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1

Wells p 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Guardado p 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Totals 37 6 10 6 1 5 30 8

FIELDING -

DP: 2.

PB: Pierzynski (2).

BATTING -

2B: Lawton (44,off Buehrle); Canizaro (21,off Barcelo).

3B: Hunter (7,off Wunsch).

HR: Pierzynski (2,7th inning off Barcelo 2 on, 2 out); Lawton (13,10th inning

off Beirne 0 on, 2 out).

HBP: Barnes (2,by Lowe).

PITCHING

Chicago White Sox IP H HR R ER BB K

Lowe 6 1 0 0 0 1 4

Buehrle 0.2 2 0 2 2 0 0

Barcelo 0.1 2 1 2 2 0 0

Wunsch 0 3 0 1 1 0 0

Howry 2 1 0 0 0 0 1

Beirne L(1-2) 0.2 1 1 1 1 0 0

Totals 9.2 10 2 6 6 1 5

Minnesota Twins IP H HR R ER BB K

Mays 6 10 0 5 4 0 2

Wells 2 1 0 0 0 0 0

Guardado W(6-3) 2 1 0 0 0 0 3

Totals 10 12 0 5 4 0 5

WP: Lowe (3), Mays (11).

Umpires: Rocky Roe, Ian Lamplugh, Brian Runge, John Shulock

Time of Game: 3:06 Attendance: 9716(without me and my friends, it would have only been 9712...sad thing is, that was the last time that Twins team sucked in the Metrodome...damn bastards)

Guest hotsoxchick1

colon is not coming here.....not now and not in the near future.. he will most likely end up on the yanks or bosox......so dont get to hyped on this rumor.........:D

I'd rather give up West, but you got to give something to get something.

I do agree on your take of Malone though. Coming off an injury, I wouldn't want to give up on him. The kid has a ton of potential.

I'd like a West, Ginter, and Sanders package instead of giving them Malone and someone else.

No offense to Westie, but he's no where as good as Malone.  Malone is going to be a staple in the Sox rotation somewhere in the near future.  Malone = Money

Agreed.

We could definetely use another lefty in our rotation, especially one with Malone's talent.