• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Mets will eat $3.9 million left on Robbie's contract

By ADAM RUBIN

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

The Mets began their overhaul today, trading Roberto Alomar to the White Sox for prospects, the Daily News has learned.

The deal is expected to be announced this afternoon.

Alomar, a future Hall of Famer, had been a bust in his two seasons in New York. He owned a .262 average with two homers and 22 RBI this season, but could be reinvigorated by being dealt to an American League team that includes his brother, Sandy Alomar Jr.

Alomar had been one of GM Steve Phillips’ high-profile acquisitions two winters ago, but the deal that included Matt Lawton, Alex Escobar and Billy Traber being shipped to Cleveland never paid dividends for the Mets.

The Mets will eat the $3.9 million left on his contract this year.

OK... I know Almote has been struggling as of late. I'm not all that familiar with Ring. (and I always get him confused with Wing)... So, I'll defer to all you propspect experts as to whether or not we got reemed on this one.

For Almonte and Ring.

Wow. I am surprised that we dealt Ring, but happy it wasn't Cotts. Two questions come to mind real quick. Does that mean we are still looking at trading Cotts for Weaver, and who gets sent down to make room for Roberto. Could D'Angelo be the odd man out?

this is great news. It improves both our defense and the top of our lineup. Now this could allow Harris to move down in the order and take some of the pressure off him.

Now the question is do we move Harris back to CF, move Rowand to LF, and move Lee to DH. Rowand has been hitting well lately so you don't want to move him out of the lineup.

A couple Mets fans immediatly mentioned Cotts. A couple said any top 10 or even top 15 prospect would be a steal for the Mets. Seems as if Mr. Alomar has been getting slammed by the hometeam fans. Let's hope a change in venue will be a great thing.

I like the sign that we're playing to win now.

:headbang