Eight Mile

Chisoxfn

Did anyone else see this movie?

I thought this was a weird movie and I now know why Eminem is so screwed up. The movie was good, but geeze, all the stuff he had to see, damn.

The best parts were his battles though, damn they were funny. I will say this, the guy was a decent actor, but how hard can it be to act your own life. I bet they make a sequel to this cause its making a fortune at the box office.

Originally posted by baggio202
Originally posted by doubleM23

Who says he's messed up?  I think he's a genius.

this was the ame guy that wrote a song about how enjoyable it would be to lay the wood to his own mother..right??:eek

Who cares? He is a white guy trying to act black. Nowadays that is a mark of sainthood.

Originally posted by NUKE_CLEVELAND

Who cares?  He is a white guy trying to act black.  Nowadays that is a mark of sainthood.

Nuke I gotta disagree with you here. If you knew anything about him you'd know that's not what he is at all.

Do you people really bu into the whole "I lived a rough life , I 'm a thug" bulls***? Remember the last white rapper who thought he was black? Vanilla Ice! The guy who said he grew up in a black area in the projects . Turns out he grew up in a rich area with white people. Eminem is all about getting atention and he's done it well. I just dont buy into it.

He did grow up in the projects. His mother was a pill-popper, his father left when he was a baby. He is a good father to his daughter, he was the one who got custody from the judge.

He's the best lyricist out there, his cd's get good reviews everywhere and so did his movie. Vanilla Ice was a fluke, Eminem is not a fluke.

I love how people try and rip on him without knowing him. But you see any interview with an actor who worked with him or an artist who collaberated with him, they say he is a great person, a smart guy, a funny guy and a genius.

OH BUT HE IS JUST A WHITE GUY TRYING TO ACT BLACK.

Gimme a break.

Originally posted by Spiff

He did grow up in the projects. His mother was a pill-popper, his father left when he was a baby. He is a good father to his daughter, he was the one who got custody from the judge.

He's the best lyricist out there, his cd's get good reviews everywhere and so did his movie. Vanilla Ice was a fluke, Eminem is not a fluke.

I love how people try and rip on him without knowing him. But you see any interview with an actor who worked with him or an artist who collaberated with him, they say he is a great person, a smart guy, a funny guy and a genius.

Gimme a break.

Well, if he really is a good father to his kids & he's doing the right things with his personal life then more power to him, but i still cant stand his "music".

Gimme a break.

didnt say he wasnt smart...i dont think he is that talented because in general im not impressed with the musical talent it takes to be a rapper..when you look at "real" musicians...a lot of rock and rollers cut their teeth on classical or jazz..they can play other forms of music..same with country , blues jazz...even if you are just a singer you need to have a voice that is well above the average person to be sucessful...rappers only need to have on ability..the ability to ryhme..everything else they can fake..to me thats just not that impressive..but thats just my opinion

as for him leading a hard life...big deal..is he the only person on earth to have it rough???...besides he is using his rough childhood to further his career..so it couldnt have hurt him too much...and for being a good father..again...what does he want a medal??...every man should bea good father and shouldnt expect praise for it...its what expected of every man that fathered a child..

he won custody of his daughter??...wow im shock..im sure the woman he impregnated was a real fine uipstanding girl next door type...what was she..a groupie??...and even if she was a girl of high morals who maybe made one mistake do you think she had the financial backing to fight eminem in court???...its not about who is the better parent when one is a famous multimillionaire and the other parent is basically a nobody..

you say its funny how people rag on the guy w/o knowing him..well youre defending him and i take it you dont know him either since you didnt mention that in your defense of him so whats the diff???

I love it when people who know nothing about Eminem's life or music but the little tid bits they have heard on the Entertainment Channel, and from that bs and their assumptions issue forth totally non-informed opinions.

How was that for gentle - but accurate. "I'm not buying it" Mike indeed, the guy has a real life story and has done something with his life that deserves credit and praise.

And baggio, I humbly suggest good friend that you know nothing about his lyrics. Hey, rap isn't your game, but don't take a snippet out of context, and wrongly so. he never said he would take a bat to his mother, by the way.

What is real: Eminem is an incredible rapper, a musical genius, a profoundly talented words smith, and the movie 8 Mile is one of the two best films of the year thus far (the other, Y Tu Mama Tambien). Em's lyrics are really about the abandonment of children by parents who cared more about their own pleasures than loving and raising their children, the pain that infidelity causes, and in 8 Mile especially that work, real work, is the only way to get ahead in life. Baggio, you'd love it in the movie when he tells his unemployed mom, "You can't keep living like this. You've got to get a job. You know, work!"

I am fatigued with criticisms of Em by people who do not know the music. I can't stand counbtry music but you'll never see me bash it, because it is not my music, I don't know it, so I don't knock it.

Eminem is as real as can be. Insights on that for me come from knowledge of the court cases in Michigan (the lawsuits, the custody matter, etc.) which I have access to as working in a law office and as a member of a state bar section. And also, because his life has been followed in Michigan very closely since he is from here.

I think the guy is a real genius and a profound talent. Not for everyone. For those who can't stad rap, go spin some Metallica! More your style I am sure! :)

Originally posted by baggio202

didnt say he wasnt smart...i dont think he is that talented because in general im not impressed with the musical talent it takes to be a rapper..when you look at "real" musicians...a lot of rock and rollers cut their teeth on classical or jazz..they can play other forms of music..same with country , blues jazz...even if you are just a singer you need to have a voice that is well above the average person to be sucessful...rappers only need to have on ability..the ability to ryhme..everything else they can fake..to me thats just not that impressive..but thats just my opinion

as for him leading a hard life...big deal..is he the only person on earth to have it rough???...besides he is using his rough childhood to further his career..so it couldnt have hurt him too much...and for being a good father..again...what does he want a medal??...every man should bea good father and shouldnt expect praise for it...its what expected of every man that fathered a child..

he won custody of his daughter??...wow im shock..im sure the woman he impregnated was a real fine uipstanding girl next door type...what was she..a groupie??...and even if she was a girl of high morals who maybe made one mistake do you think she had the financial backing to fight eminem in court???...its not about who is the better parent when one is a famous multimillionaire and the other parent is basically a nobody..

you say its funny how people rag on the guy w/o knowing him..well youre defending him and i take it you dont know him either since you didnt mention that in your defense of him  so whats the diff???

I meant without knowing anything about him. I'm not gonna argue point for point cause I'm not going to change anyone's mind, I don't care anymore. But saying he's just trying to act black is like saying Tiger Woods is trying to act white.

spiff, by the way, the intensive court investigation in one of the most conservative county courts in Michigan, which is not prone to father's rights, let alone supposed crazed rappers, is that he is an outstanding father, totally devoted to his daughter. Of course anyone who listens to his music knows that since he always raps on his love for Hailey. The little sister character in 8 Mile represented his daughter, and the tenderness and love we saw on screen is what we have heard for years in his music.

For what it is worth, Kid Rock (I'm not a fan of Kid Rock) is also known to be a very wonderful father.

spiff, right on.

Em is the real thing. I don't know him, but I have sources to know a lot about him, and he is the real thing. The Oakland County Court would have loved to put it to the supposed foul mouthed vulgar Detroit rapper - but their own court investigations was overwhelming in its report on Em being the superior parent for his child. Baggs saying he bought that decision is bull s*** and conjecture by someone who is putting a preconceived opinion on a reality that he doesn't know - but that is ok, baggs is more than a great guy, just not a reliable reporter on rap and its stars!

The movie was so excellent. saw it 3 times already. Seing it tomorrow. I am working on picking out the details in the filming and the script that you can't get in a first viewing.

By the way, I am 50 year old who is not pre-disposed to like rap, but I have gotten to know it as I work with young people, and I have come to love it, and I have come to regard Eminem as a real genius. A lot of my friends scoff, but they have never taken the time to understand what they don't know - the same complaints we made about our parents and our music. My grandson listens to Em, with me- hey, we rap together, not the usual thing but it works for us! We are bound in our common love of family, the White Sox, the University of Michigan, and Eminem - a lot of grandparents have fewer bonds with their granchildren so I am down with it, dawg!

Originally posted by cwsox

I love it when people who know nothing about Eminem's life or music but the little tid bits they have heard on the Entertainment Channel, and from that bs and their assumptions issue forth totally non-informed opinions.

How was that for gentle - but accurate. "I'm not buying it" Mike indeed,  the guy has a real life story and has done something with his life that deserves credit and praise.

And baggio, I humbly suggest good friend that you know nothing about  his lyrics.  Hey, rap isn't your game, but don't take a snippet out of context, and wrongly so.  he never said he would take a bat to his mother, by the way.

What is real: Eminem is an incredible rapper, a musical genius, a profoundly talented words smith, and the movie 8 Mile is one of the two best films of the year thus far (the other, Y Tu Mama Tambien).  Em's lyrics are really about the abandonment of children by parents who cared more about their own pleasures than loving and raising their children, the pain that infidelity causes, and in 8 Mile especially that work, real work, is the only way to get ahead in life.  Baggio, you'd love it in the movie when he tells his unemployed mom, "You can't keep living like this.  You've got to get a job.  You know, work!" 

I am fatigued with criticisms of Em by people who do not know the music.  I can't stand counbtry music but you'll never see me bash it, because it is not my music, I don't know it, so I don't knock it. 

Eminem is as real as can be.  Insights on that for me come from knowledge of the court cases in Michigan (the lawsuits, the custody matter, etc.) which I have access to as working in a law office and as a member of a state bar section.  And also, because his life has been followed in Michigan very closely since he is from here.

I think the guy is a real genius and a profound talent.  Not for everyone.  For those who can't stad rap, go spin some Metallica!  More your style I am sure! :)

by taken the wood to mom i meant bedding her down..i know he had a song where he rapped about how he would enjoy doing mommie...remember it being the craze of the grammys a few years ago??..i didnt mention anything about him acting black..

thats about the only negative i said about the man...as for him being a great dad...SO WHAT...every man should do his best to be a great dad...it should be expected , not made to seem like its an exception...and he has it alot easier then most dads who have to work their ass off and pay bills and budget what they have left to spend on their kids...most of us cant afford to be the great dad eminem or kid rock is...we have to earn it the hard way...men today seem to think its a big deal if a man is a good father..thats a big part of the problem...it should always be expected and any father that isnt there for his kids should be made to feel like a heel...

if you guys like eminem thats fine..but his supporters talk about him like he should be knighted or cannonized...he just a music star...im a big fan of rock , blues , jazz but i not naive enough to believe that these are good down to earth people...im sure there are exceptions but most are there for the sex , drugs and rock and roll...to make it in that business you have 100% into yourself and career and everything else comes 2nd...inckluding family

as far as music goes im not a fan of classical..but i can see its musical value...it takes a skilled musician to play it...whether i like rap or not doesnt change the fact that you dont need a great deal of musical talent to rap...i can equate rap to punk rock..look at the sex pistols...as musicians they sucked...i dont think they knew 3 cords and sid had no rythem whatsoever...i liked them at the time because the late 70's were boring as hell and they were something different..but they were never real musicians..

thats just my opinion...

hey you dont like country???..im shocked :)

He's a great father? So? It's like paying taxes..........You're expected to.

I get sick of rappers , musicians, actors or whoever using their childhood as pity for a stepping stone. I went through some s*** in my time, but i 'm not on tv whining about it.

Ever since metallica spoke out egainst internet downloads of music and slapped fees on internet broadcasters, i cant stand them. KORN RULEZ!!!!!!!!:D

baggs, the one song I'm aware of that he does that in is the song called "I'm Back." He suggets that if his mother was Jennifer Lopez he'd do it.

Chorus: Eminem (repeat 4X)

That's why they call me Slim Shady (I'm Back)

I'm Back (I'm Back) [sLIM SHADY!] I'm Back

[Eminem]

I murder a rhyme one word at a time

You never, heard of a mind as perverted as mine

You better, get rid of that nine, it ain't gonna help

What good's it gonna do against a man that strangles himself?

I'm waitin for hell like hell s*** I'm anxious as hell

Manson, you're safe in that cell, be thankful it's jail

I used to be my mommy's little angel at twelve

Thirteen I was puttin shells in a gauge on a shelf

I used to, get punked and bullied on my block

'til I cut a kitten's head off and stuck it in this kid's mailbox

{"Mom! MOM!"} I used to give a - f***, now I could give a f*** less

What do I think of suc-cess? It sucks, too much press I'm stressed

Too much stares two breasts, too upset

It's just too much mess, I guess I must just blew up quick (yes)

Grew up quick (no) was raised right

Whatever you say is wrong, whatever I say is right

You think of my name now whenever you say, "Hi"

Became a commodity because I'm W-H-I-

-T-E, cuz MTV was so friendly to me

Can't wait 'til Kim sees me

Now is it worth it? Look at my life, how is it perfect?

Read my lips b****, what, my mouth isn't workin?

You hear this finger? Oh it's upside down

Here, let me turn this motherf***er up right now

Chorus

[Eminem]

I take each individual degenerate's head and reach into it

just to see if he's influenced by me if he listens to music

And if he feeds into this s*** he's an innocent victim

and becomes a puppet on the string of my tennis shoe

{*vocal scratches*} My name is Slim Shady

I been crazy way before radio didn't play me

The sensational {*vocal scratch "Back is the incredible!"*}

With Ken Kaniff, who just finds the men edible

It's Ken Kaniff on the, internet

Tryin to, lure your kids with him, into bed

It's a, sick world we live in these days

"Slim for Pete's sakes put down Christopher Reeve's legs!"

Geez, you guys are so sensitive

"Slim it's a touchy subject, try and just don't mention it"

Mind with no sense in it, fried to get so frenetic

whose eyes get so squinted, I'm blind from smokin 'em

with my windows tinted, with nine limos rented

Doin lines of coke in 'em, with a bunch of guys hoppin out

all high and indo scented {*inhales, exhales*}

And that's where I get my name from, that's why they call me

Chorus

[Eminem]

I take seven [----] from [---------], stand 'em all in line

Add an AK-47, a revolver, a nine

a Mack-11 and it oughta solve the problem of mine

and that's a whole school of bullies shot up all at one time

Cause (I'mmmm) Shady, they call me as crazy

as the world was over this whole Y2K thing

And by the way, N'Sync, why do they sing?

Am I the only one who realizes they stink?

Should I dye my hair pink and care what y'all think?

Lip sync and buy a bigger size of earrings?

It's why I tend to block out when I hear things

Cause all these fans screamin is makin my ears ring (AHHHH!!!)

So I just, throw up a middle finger and let it linger

longer than the rumor that I was stickin it to Christina

Cause if I ever stuck it to any singer in showbiz it'd be Jennifer Lopez, and Puffy you know this!

I'm sorry Puff, but I don't give a f*** if this chick was my own mother

I still f*** her with no rubber and cum inside her

and have a son and a new brother at the same time

and just say that it ain't mine, what's my name?

Chorus

[Eminem {*vocal scratching*}]

Guess who's b-back, back

Gue-gue-guess who's back (Hi mom!)

{*scratch*} Guess who's back

{*scratch*} Gue {*scratch*} guess who's back

D-12 {*scratch*} Guess who's back

Gue, gue-gue-gue, guess who's back

Dr. Dre {*scratch*} Guess who's back

Back back {*scratch*} back

{*scratch*}

Slim Shady, 2001

I'm blew out from this blunt (*sighs*) f***

Guys it's a f***in' hollywood movie not a damn A & E biography. It it was supposed to be a documentary nobody would have watched it. You think the Detroit rap scence in the 90's or whenever is worth making a movie about, not f***in likely. I'm sure he's a good actor when the part is typecast to him. No s***, you mean he can act like a white rapper?:huh f*** Feminem and f*** his movie:****

Originally posted by Mike South24

Do you people really bu into the whole "I lived a rough life , I 'm a thug" bulls***? Remember the last white rapper who thought he was black? Vanilla Ice! The guy who said he grew up in a black area in the projects . Turns out he grew up in a rich area with white people. Eminem is all about getting atention and he's done it well. I just dont buy into it. 

Don't let the false hatred fool you Sox fans. Mike South is the AUTHORITY on Vanilla Ice. :metal

Originally posted by Mike South24 

Ever since metallica spoke out egainst internet downloads of music and slapped fees on internet broadcasters, i cant stand them.

Have a job requiring physical labor? What about that 100+ lb book shelve that you need moved to the other side of the room? I urge all posters here to contact Mike South. He must do work for himself for free :D.

Gimme a break.

I agree.

That, and anyone who says, "Rap is easy," or "Rappers aren't talented," have no idea what they're talking about.