Senator Larry Craig convicted of lewd conduct in men's bathroom

Balta1701

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 04:45 PM)
I still don't hear people defending him. I hear people questioning why he was arrested for waving his hand under a stall and tapping his foot (since that is all the stories, so far, say happened), but i don't think I have heard anyone saying he was setup, or innocent, etc.

Greg could have been talking about some random asshole in Idaho talking to his wife and kids at the dinner table.

That's what I mean by "general terms". There will undoubtedly be some percentage of the public that backs this guy's story.

Edited by hammerhead johnson

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 11:55 AM)
So...here's a question for folks on a slightly different topic.

Why is this arrest a bigger deal than the Senator who was caught on the list of the DC Madam and essentially admitted having visited prostitutes (which I think is probably a much bigger deal in the eyes of the law than the small fine Sen. Craig got)?

For most of the country, it would be better to cheat on your wife and/or go to a prostititute, than to be gay, even though both are in direct conflict with the morals that they are taught from a young age.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 11:57 AM)
Greg could have been talking about some random asshole in Idaho talking to his wife and kids at the dinner table.

That's what I mean by "general terms". There will undoubtedly be some percentage of the public that backs this guy's story.

So his post was a preemptive fire-and-brimstone derision?

Still makes no sense.

I have a new post for some thread in PHT:

This Roger Clemens crap is getting annoying. Is Roger a good baseball player? Yes. Would I trade for him? No. Would John Schuerholz trade for him? Heck no. Do I have John's home phone number? Maybe. Clemens sucks at pitching, and he is too old.

:huh

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 01:08 PM)

Still makes no sense.

This Roger Clemens crap is getting annoying. Is Roger a good baseball player? Yes. Would I trade for him? No. Would John Schuerholz trade for him? Heck no. Do I have John's home phone number? Maybe. Clemens sucks at pitching, and he is too old.

no, it's really muggy today. I work til 7pm.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 11:36 AM)
It was a nonsequitor. What level of detail it was at doesn't much matter when its incongruous to the thread. Seemed like he posted without reading the thread. I think thats why people reacted the way they did.

As I read it, Tex is defending him, but maybe I'm wrong.

I don't speak Texan.

And as far as I see it, Alpha was, too. 'Why should he have been arrested.' Give me a break. Sexual harassment, violation of privacy, harassment and being a stupid, stupid man are all reasons.

And Northside? You too fune!

Edited by Gregory Pratt

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 05:08 PM)

Still makes no sense.

Is your new post going to be included in a PHT thread about the possible acquisition of Roger Clemens?

You do realize that he is talking about Larry Craig in a thread about Larry Craig, yeah?

I don't know why people are out to get Greg. He is your Soxtalk president. Treat him as such. :D

You know, it's kind of crazy, now that i think about it.

Let me come into a bathroom with someone's child here, or someone's grandfather, or someone's father, or just you, peek into your stall and proposition you for sex, make you uncomfortable by signaling certain things for you...you don't think I would deserve to be detained? And then to pull that, "What do you think of my Senate ID?" bulls***. He clearly deserved to be detained and definitely deserved to be arrested. If someone pulled that on one of your kids there'd be no doubt, or on your father or on you. And if a Democrat had done this, you'd all be saying, "Well if a Republican had done this, there'd be an outcry but for the Democrat? You're defending him!!11111111111111"

This is harassment and sexual harassment. It is indecent. It disturbs the peace. And he has s*** in all of our communities by bringing such filth into our world. And he's arrogant. "I have power. I've got the ID. What do you think of that?" Well, s***.

Edited by Gregory Pratt

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 01:35 PM)
Let me come into a bathroom with someone's child here, or someone's grandfather, or someone's father, or just you, peek into your stall and proposition you for sex, make you uncomfortable by signaling certain things for you...

dude, I pee in your eye.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 12:35 PM)
You know, it's kind of crazy, now that i think about it.

Let me come into a bathroom with someone's child here, or someone's grandfather, or someone's father, or just you, peek into your stall and proposition you for sex, make you uncomfortable by signaling certain things for you...you don't think I would deserve to be detained? And then to pull that, "What do you think of my Senate ID?" bulls***. He clearly deserved to be detained and definitely deserved to be arrested. If someone pulled that on one of your kids there'd be no doubt, or on your father or on you. And if a Democrat had done this, you'd all be saying, "Well if a Republican had done this, there'd be an outcry but for the Democrat? You're defending him!!11111111111111"

This is harassment and sexual harassment. It is indecent. It disturbs the peace. And he has s*** in all of our communities by bringing such filth into our world. And he's arrogant. "I have power. I've got the ID. What do you think of that?" Well, s***.

Greg, so if you are at a bar and some guy comes up to you and says "hey, nice ass. Wanna dance?' are you gonna go scream to the cops that yu were sexually harrassed? How about if it was an ugly woman? The stories, AS THEY HAVE BEEN PRINTED, do not say that that he verbally propositioned anyone for sex, nor offered payment for such. Asking someone if they want to f*** is not a crime. Asking them if they will f*** you for $100 is. Did he offer payment? It doesn't say that, but i would venture that if he did, it would be printed since that would be even worse for him. And it doesn't say he 'peeked' into the stall. He could have been standing by the sink and able to see into the stalls. Some of them have quite large gaps. Now before yu get your presidential panties in a bunch, I am NOT defending him. He is a sliimy kind of guy, the business card thing was just plain wrong, and he is an idiot. My original questions, which you misunderstood as a defense, was why was he arrested for foot tapping and a hand gesture? regardless of what they 'mean', there was no offer of payment, and I don't think it is a crime to ask for sex. If you keep asking after being told no, well, that's another story. Did somethign else happen that we don't know about? perhaps. but with what was written, it just doens't seem right that he could be arrested for just that.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 12:53 PM)
My original questions, which you misunderstood as a defense, was why was he arrested for foot tapping and a hand gesture? regardless of what they 'mean', there was no offer of payment, and I don't think it is a crime to ask for sex.

I would assume it's because this type of sex is on the rise in public restrooms. Should they wait until the 2 men lock themselves in a stall before placing them under arrest? Perhaps.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 12:53 PM)
Greg, so if you are at a bar and some guy comes up to you and says "hey, nice ass. Wanna dance?' are you gonna go scream to the cops that yu were sexually harrassed? How about if it was an ugly woman? The stories, AS THEY HAVE BEEN PRINTED, do not say that that he verbally propositioned anyone for sex, nor offered payment for such. Asking someone if they want to f*** is not a crime. Asking them if they will f*** you for $100 is. Did he offer payment? It doesn't say that, but i would venture that if he did, it would be printed since that would be even worse for him. And it doesn't say he 'peeked' into the stall. He could have been standing by the sink and able to see into the stalls. Some of them have quite large gaps. Now before yu get your presidential panties in a bunch, I am NOT defending him. He is a sliimy kind of guy, the business card thing was just plain wrong, and he is an idiot. My original questions, which you misunderstood as a defense, was why was he arrested for foot tapping and a hand gesture? regardless of what they 'mean', there was no offer of payment, and I don't think it is a crime to ask for sex. If you keep asking after being told no, well, that's another story. Did somethign else happen that we don't know about? perhaps. but with what was written, it just doens't seem right that he could be arrested for just that.

Because everybody knows what the hand gesture is. It's like coming out onto the streets and flashing gang signs. People know what that is. And it's hardly the same situation to peek into someone's stall while they take a s*** and hang at a club and then squat on your seat and rub your foot against theirs and reach into their stall -- an invasion of privacy, I might add, to go along with sexual harassment, harassment and being an asshole.

Glad you're not defending him, though. Not at all. Except for the fact that you don't see crimes in what he did because you don't want to. And yes, if I want I could accuse someone of sexual harassment for a variety of things. Doesn't mean I'd win out. if someone does what he did, you're damn right he's going to get a visti from the police and a lot of questions asked and if I can, I'm going to get him into some trouble. What he did is wrong and illegal. Harassment, invasion of privacy, etc. etc. He deserves what he got.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 01:53 PM)

the story I read said that he was peeking through the cracks, but your point stands...he never said "wanna F***" or anything like that as the story goes. I think people are just questioning how wiggling your foot a certain way or reaching under the stall lands him in jail.

I'm also unsure how it didn't land this guy a punch in the friggin' nose.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 01:58 PM)
Because everybody knows what the hand gesture is. It's like coming out onto the streets and flashing gang signs. People know what that is. And it's hardly the same situation to peek into someone's stall while they take a s*** and hang at a club and then squat on your seat and rub your foot against theirs and reach into their stall -- an invasion of privacy, I might add, to go along with sexual harassment, harassment and being an asshole.

Glad you're not defending him, though. Not at all. Except for the fact that you don't see crimes in what he did because you don't want to. And yes, if I want I could accuse someone of sexual harassment for a variety of things. Doesn't mean I'd win out. if someone does what he did, you're damn right he's going to get a visti from the police and a lot of questions asked and if I can, I'm going to get him into some trouble. What he did is wrong and illegal. Harassment, invasion of privacy, etc. etc. He deserves what he got.

The undercover cop knew what the hand signal meant, yes. But if I saw someone doing that before I read this article, I would have no idea...and again, would have either pissed on the guy or punched him right in the nose.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 01:01 PM)
The undercover cop knew what the hand signal meant, yes. But if I saw someone doing that before I read this article, I would have no idea...and again, would have either pissed on the guy or punched him right in the nose.

Prior to this thread, i would have handed him some tp.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 12:58 PM)
Because everybody knows what the hand gesture is. It's like coming out onto the streets and flashing gang signs. People know what that is.

Sounds like he was arrested for intent to get his rocks off. I wonder if the precogs had anything to do with it? Was Tom Cruise nearby?

Link on the whole foot-tapping bit via the AP:

A foot-tapping ritual was a common thread in many of the 41 arrests reported during a four-month airport bathroom sting that snared Sen. Larry Craig.

An undercover officer would take a seat in a stall. Soon another man would sit in the stall next door and start tapping his foot, perhaps moving it closer to the officer's. The officer would move his foot up and down slowly. The suspect might then extend his hand under the divider between the stalls, sometimes repeatedly.

That would be enough to get the man busted.

Airport police reports obtained by The Associated Press gave strikingly similar accounts of the events that led to the 41 arrests officers made for alleged lewd conduct in public restrooms in the main terminal of the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport during the May-August sting.

Craig insisted that his actions were misconstrued, according to the police report on his June 11 arrest. But the Idaho Republican quietly pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct earlier this month. After word of his arrest finally surfaced this week, Craig insisted he had done nothing wrong, that he regretted pleading guilty and indicated he might try to withdraw his plea. He also insisted he is not gay.

In several of the police reports, officers wrote that they knew from their training and work experience that the foot-tapping was a signal used by people looking for sex. The reports said the department had received complaints from the public and made numerous arrests.

Craig's alleged conduct closely followed the pattern described in several of the arrests.

They arrested 41 guys, and all of them probably just took their punishment and were grateful it wasn't any worse. Unfortunately for Craig, someone at the courthouse that day recognized his name, looked into it, and tipped off Roll Call.

Were the airport cops a little overzealous? Perhaps, but I figure that they had received many complaints about things going on in that particular restroom, and they decided to do something about it.

I have a feeling that any such behavior won't be happening there anymore