The environment thread

BigSqwert

So I guess Nuke, Jenksismyb****, and others will not vote for anyone this presidential election cycle since the GOP candidates have lost their minds with this global warming propaganda....

Fred D. Thompson, after mocking the threat in April, said more recently that “climate change is real” and suggested a measured approach until more was known about it.

On the campaign trail, Mr. Giuliani has said, “I do believe there’s global warming,”

“I don’t know what it is going to be like the rest of my life on this planet,” Mr. McCain said at the Global Warming and Energy Solutions Conference on Saturday in Manchester, N.H. “But I can tell you this. I have had enough experience and enough knowledge to believe that unless we reverse what is happening on this planet, my dear friends, we are going to hand our children a planet that is badly damaged.”

...former Gov. Mike Huckabee of Arkansas and Senator Sam Brownback of Kansas, call for strong actions to ease the effects of people on the climate, at times casting the effort in spiritual terms just as some evangelical groups have taken up the cause.
Edited by BigSqwert

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Oct 17, 2007 -> 07:40 AM)
So I guess Nuke, Jenksismyb****, and others will not vote for anyone this presidential election cycle since the GOP candidates have lost their minds with this global warming propaganda....

Global warming is due to changes occurring in the sun. Global warming is happening throughout the solar system. Things happen in nature in cylces. That's what's happening now. At the turn of the previous millenium, they were growing grapes in England. As mankind has always done, we'll have to adjust to the climate changes as they occur.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Oct 20, 2007 -> 11:32 AM)
Global warming is due to changes occurring in the sun. Global warming is happening throughout the solar system. Things happen in nature in cylces. That's what's happening now. At the turn of the previous millenium, they were growing grapes in England. As mankind has always done, we'll have to adjust to the climate changes as they occur.

So the overwhelming majority of scientists around the world are completely wrong and the exponential growth of CO2 in the atmosphere over the past century is a direct result of the sun going through changes?

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Oct 20, 2007 -> 10:41 AM)
So the overwhelming majority of scientists around the world are completely wrong and the exponential growth of CO2 in the atmosphere over the past century is a direct result of the sun going through changes?

It's a fact that global warming is happening on Mars, Saturn, Uranus. It has nothing to do with the Earth's atmosphere. Mankind did not affect affect the global warming on those other planets. There is a reason it's called a SOLAR system.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Oct 20, 2007 -> 11:44 AM)
It's a fact that global warming is happening on Mars, Saturn, Uranus. It has nothing to do with the Earth's atmosphere. Mankind did not affect affect the global warming on those other planets. There is a reason it's called a SOLAR system.

From a simple google search on "global warming on other planets in the solar system":

Earth is heating up lately, but so are Mars, Pluto and other worlds in our solar system, leading some scientists to speculate that a change in the sun’s activity is the common thread linking all these baking events.

Others argue that such claims are misleading and create the false impression that rapid global warming, as Earth is experiencing, is a natural phenomenon.

While evidence suggests fluctuations in solar activity can affect climate on Earth, and that it has done so in the past, the majority of climate scientists and astrophysicists agree that the sun is not to blame for the current and historically sudden uptick in global temperatures on Earth, which seems to be mostly a mess created by our own species.

http://www.livescience.com/environment/070...ys_warming.html

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Oct 20, 2007 -> 10:48 AM)
From a simple google search on "global warming on other planets in the solar system":

http://www.livescience.com/environment/070...ys_warming.html

While evidence suggests fluctuations in solar activity can affect climate on Earth, and that it has done so in the past, the majority of climate scientists and astrophysicists agree that the sun is not to blame for the current and historically sudden uptick in global temperatures on Earth, which seems to be mostly a mess created by our own species

While it is proven that global warming is happening on other planets in the solar system, it's not to blame for global warming on Earth. There's logic for you! It's all about a political agenda. GMAB.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Oct 20, 2007 -> 11:57 AM)
While it is proven that global warming is happening on other planets in the solar system, it's not to blame for global warming on Earth. There's logic for you! It's all about a political agenda. GMAB.

The majority of climate scientists and astrophysicists have a political agenda across the world? What would that be?

I guess we can cross Pluto off the list with having similar reasons to global warming:

BIRMINGHAM, Ala.--Pluto is undergoing global warming, as evidenced by a three-fold increase in the planet's atmospheric pressure during the past 14 years, a team of astronomers from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Williams College, the University of Hawaii, Lowell Observatory and Cornell University announced in a press conference today at the annual meeting of the American Astronomical Society's (AAS) Division for Planetary Sciences in Birmingham, AL.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Oct 20, 2007 -> 11:01 AM)
The majority of climate scientists and astrophysicists have a political agenda across the world? What would that be?

It's an inconvenient truth. Look, I'm not going to get into it with you. You have your opinion and I have have mine. I personally think that global warming on other planets in the solar system speaks volumes about what's occuring here on Earth. You obviously think differently. So be it.

I'll take the word from a genius like Stephen Hawking over some guy on a baseball message board:

We're used to seeing them as stars in the sky, but planets could soon be home to humans if Stephen Hawking has his way.

The world-renowned scientist believes humans must colonise planets elsewhere in the universe because of the risk a disaster will destroy the Earth.

Astrophysicist Professor Hawking insists the survival of the human race depends on it finding new homes on other planets. He believes global warming, nuclear war or a genetically engineered virus could wipe out the earth.

Speaking at a news conference in Hong Kong the 64-year-old scientist said humans could have a permanent base on the moon in 20 years and colony on Mars in the next 40 years.

He said: "We won't find anywhere as nice as Earth unless we go to another star system. It is important for the human race to spread out into space for the survival of the species.

"Life on Earth is at the ever-increasing risk of being wiped out by a disaster, such as sudden global warming, nuclear war, a genetically engineered virus or other dangers we have not yet thought of."

Edited by BigSqwert

Astrophysicist Professor Hawking insists the survival of the human race depends on it finding new homes on other planets. He believes global warming, nuclear war or a genetically engineered virus could wipe out the earth.

I agree with you here. Global warming (caused by changes in the sun), nuclear war or a genetically engineered virus could wipe out the human race. "Could" being the definitive word. We were discussing the causes of global warming, not what the results could be.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Oct 20, 2007 -> 12:12 PM)
I agree with you here. Global warming (caused by changes in the sun), nuclear war or a genetically engineered virus could wipe out the human race. "Could" being the definitive word. We were discussing the causes of global warming, not what the results could be.

I doubt Hawking would partake in the film "11th Hour" if he thought humans were not the main cause for global warming. That was the whole premise of the film.

I also think it's funny how the opponents of global warming started out as saying it didn't even exist. Now that it's completely obvious that it does they are using other excuses for its existence. Even the most brightest and intelligent scientists in the world cannot convince them otherwise.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Oct 20, 2007 -> 11:33 AM)
I doubt Hawking would partake in the film "11th Hour" if he thought humans were not the main cause for global warming. That was the whole premise of the film.

I also think it's funny how the opponents of global warming started out as saying it didn't even exist. Now that it's completely obvious that it does they are using other excuses for its existence. Even the most brightest and intelligent scientists in the world cannot convince them otherwise.

Regardless of what Hawking thinks, the fact remains that global warming is occuring on other globes in our solar system. That speaks for itself. Al Gore's film also had the same premise. That doesn't make it fact. However, the fact that global warming is happening on other planets in the solar system is a fact.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Oct 20, 2007 -> 12:38 PM)
However, the fact that global warming is happening on other planets in the solar system is a fact.

Like in Pluto where the atmospheric pressure has increased three fold like I quoted above. That seems like a different cause than what we are experiencing here on Earth.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Oct 20, 2007 -> 12:27 PM)
Like in Pluto where the atmospheric pressure has increased three fold like I quoted above. That seems like a different cause than what we are experiencing here on Earth.

Pluto, which isn't even regarded as a planet anymore, isn't the only member of the solar system that is experiencing global warming now. Facts are facts. It is happening throughout the solar system, whether you want to admit it or not.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Oct 20, 2007 -> 01:30 PM)
Pluto, which isn't even regarded as a planet anymore, isn't the only member of the solar system that is experiencing global warming now. Facts are facts. It is happening throughout the solar system, whether you want to admit it or not.

I never refuted that. I even posted something earlier that stated that it is a fact. The quote also stated that a majority of scientists across the world believe that the causes on earth are by man. Why would you not believe the people who study this on a daily basis? What insight do you have to disprove them? Have you been conducting research on your own?

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Oct 20, 2007 -> 12:36 PM)
I never refuted that. I even posted something earlier that stated that it is a fact. The quote also stated that a majority of scientists across the world believe that the causes on earth are by man. Why would you not believe the people who study this on a daily basis? What insight do you have to disprove them? Have you been conducting research on your own?

The simple fact that global warming is occuring on other planets in our solar system, that haven't been influenced by man, tells me that it is an unarguable fact the the cause of global warming is caused by the sun. You see, the isn't just 'global' warming ... it's the entire solar system that is warming. As I said earlier, they were growing grapes in England around the year 1000. Mankind didn't bite the big one then, though 'global warming' was certainly happening.

That being said, I'm going to get offline for now. I'll check back whenever I get online again. Have a good day.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Oct 20, 2007 -> 01:44 PM)
The simple fact that global warming is occuring on other planets in our solar system, that haven't been influenced by man, tells me that it is an unarguable fact the the cause of global warming is caused by the sun. You see, the isn't just 'global' warming ... it's the entire solar system that is warming. As I said earlier, they were growing grapes in England around the year 1000. Mankind didn't bite the big one then, though 'global warming' was certainly happening.

That being said, I'm going to get offline for now. I'll check back whenever I get online again. Have a good day.

I will end the debate for now as well. Thanks for making it civil. :cheers

QUOTE(YASNY @ Oct 20, 2007 -> 01:44 PM)

YAS - when you return...

Many posters here on both sides of the global warming/climate change/pollution debate have provided reference to the data that backs them up. The people who believe that climate change is wholly or partially caused by human activity cite the many thousands of scientific studies looking at such factors as temperature, CO2 levels, receding glaciers and ice pack, wind currents and assorted other evidence. Those who think it is part of a normal cycle point out the many cold and warm periods during the time of man.

So I ask you... where are you seeing this evidence that global warming is happening throughout the solar system? I mean, other than Pluto (which is really a comet/asteroid anyway), I have not seen any sort of scietific piece that stakes that claim and provides any evidence. Could you reveal your source?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 21, 2007 -> 08:39 AM)
YAS - when you return...

Many posters here on both sides of the global warming/climate change/pollution debate have provided reference to the data that backs them up. The people who believe that climate change is wholly or partially caused by human activity cite the many thousands of scientific studies looking at such factors as temperature, CO2 levels, receding glaciers and ice pack, wind currents and assorted other evidence. Those who think it is part of a normal cycle point out the many cold and warm periods during the time of man.

So I ask you... where are you seeing this evidence that global warming is happening throughout the solar system? I mean, other than Pluto (which is really a comet/asteroid anyway), I have not seen any sort of scietific piece that stakes that claim and provides any evidence. Could you reveal your source?

NSS ... I have, from time to time, read about this solar system warming in various locations. However, I honestly have to say I can't recall where as I read a lot from the net. I'll look to see what I can find, though. In the mean time, here's an inconvenient truth ...

QUOTE(YASNY @ Oct 21, 2007 -> 12:04 PM)
I never said it wasn't happening. I said it's happening do to solar changes.

I understand, what I was commenting on was I wish I shared your optimism that we will adapt to the changes. First people have to accept the environment is changing. Then they have to accept the cause, until then, it is all hat and no cattle.