Swisher, jersey #30

Steve9347

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 27, 2008 -> 09:46 AM)
Gah...you seriously think Crede is worth $12.5 mill a year?

For what he brings both offensively and defensively, as well as being loved by the fans of Chicago, I think he's very much worth signing to a long-term deal. Now, is he worth $12.5M a season? Well, who is? I mean, in this era of players making millions and millions of dollars, is anyone really worth it? I say that if you have a player that is productive, loved by the fans, and wants to be a part of the team, then you do whatever is reasonable to make that happen. This of course would all be under the assumption that he comes to camp and proves he is healthy.

And I'll add that it depends on what we get for Josh Fields in a trade. He would have to be used to acquire someone really good who will help us now. I don't think Erik Bedard would be an option, but if the only thing keeping that from happening is trading Josh Fields, make it happen now.

Edited by lvjeremylv

QUOTE(lvjeremylv @ Jan 27, 2008 -> 01:40 PM)
For what he brings both offensively and defensively, as well as being loved by the fans of Chicago, I think he's very much worth signing to a long-term deal. Now, is he worth $12.5M a season? Well, who is? I mean, in this era of players making millions and millions of dollars, is anyone really worth it? I say that if you have a player that is productive, loved by the fans, and wants to be a part of the team, then you do whatever is reasonable to make that happen. This of course would all be under the assumption that he comes to camp and proves he is healthy.

And I'll add that it depends on what we get for Josh Fields in a trade. He would have to be used to acquire someone really good who will help us now. I don't think Erik Bedard would be an option, but if the only thing keeping that from happening is trading Josh Fields, make it happen now.

Joe Crede is not that good though. That's why I state that. He's had one full season with an OPS/OPS+ over .800/100. His career OPS is .750, and while his defense is good, that doesn't make up for the nearly $6 mill difference that his bat is worth (I figure that's around $6 mill or so). Add to it that how fans in Chicago feel about him should have nothing to do with it; if you are basing signings off of that, you are going to fail. People love Podsednik (though he really wore out his welcome by the end of his stay), but he was sent packing because he's a terrible player. Mark Buehrle was brought back not because the fans of Chicago love him, but because he's a damn good pitcher. Jon Garland, who too was a fan favorite, was sent packing because they needed to get some value for him before he left town. Aaron Rowand was deity after the 2005 season, and he was then abruptly traded for Jim Thome. How fans feel about a certain player should never have any effect on whether they are coming back or not.

Joe Crede is not worth $12.5 mill a year, even in this market. If he gets that, more power to him, but it better be from San Francisco or Baltimore, and not Chicago.