Morrissey Article

bigruss

White Sox really could look young again

Rick Morrissey | In the wake of the news

January 28, 2008

Is there any way we can leave open the possibility, small as many seem to think it is, that Ken Williams is correct?

That maybe the White Sox will be pretty good in 2008?

I know, insanity.

Because the Sox won the World Series in 2005, their general manager received the benefit of the doubt for most of the last two seasons. But now there's the sense it's open season on him, which is understandable given that the Sox went 72-90 last year. Williams' critics say he whiffed so many times on free agents in the off-season he has windburn.

This has led to a massive outbreak of grumpiness among Sox fans, many of whom were colicky as babies, a link scientists continue to study.

What happened in 2007 still doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The conventional wisdom is that the Sox visited a pro-aging clinic in Florida and came back wrinkled and tired and full of liver spots. The theory that they got old in a hurry is popular, and if you subscribe to it, you also believe that Williams should have been very, very busy during the off-season.

You mean by acquiring young players such as Torii Hunter, 32, and Aaron Rowand, 30?

Those are two players Williams was unable to land, and he has been ripped for it. OK, fair enough. Two good players who would have helped. The Sox could use a proven center fielder. The team didn't want to pony up the money the two players wanted, they went elsewhere, Jerry Reinsdorf is as cheap as a $3 bottle of wine and blah, blah, blah.

But here are the ages of some of the players on this year's "aging" Sox team: Mark Buehrle, 28; Paul Konerko, 31; A.J. Pierzynski, 31; Jermaine Dye, 34, and Jim Thome, 37. The newcomers, Nick Swisher and Orlando Cabrera, are 27 and 33, respectively.

Thome is the only one for whom age appears to be a huge issue. He's also the one who hit 35 home runs last season.

The Sox's biggest problem last season was productivity, not age.

Sometimes players have bad years. It happens. If you're an owner, a general manager or a manager, you pray that your players don't have their bad years together. That's what occurred on the South Side last season, as if a bunch of ballplayers decided they were going to dive into the deep end as a group.

Konerko's batting average in 2007 was .259, which was 24 points lower than his career average going into the season. Dye's .254 was 23 points lower, and Pierzynski's .263 was 25 lower. Their power numbers dropped as well.

Is it unreasonable to expect they'll all play better this season? No. In fact, it's reasonable to believe they'll bounce back with good seasons. They're proven hitters.

Williams says that if these players simply have their normal seasons, the Sox will be competitive in 2008. Why is that such a leap of faith?

A lot of crystal balls out there show Sox players creaking along with the aid of walkers. Me? I'd rather have the 29-year-old Joe Crede at third base than the 25-year-old Josh Fields. I know that goes against the smart thinking, which says that youth is the answer to most questions. But I have a hard time naming a better third baseman than a healthy Crede. I understand Crede's back is an issue. But then, so is Fields' inexperience.

It's true: The farm system has been drained because of poor decision-making. It's true the Indians appear to be in a different league. It's also true that the middling Juan Uribe, whom many see as epitomizing the Sox's wayward philosophy, shouldn't have been re-signed.

But it's no less true that the Sox, despite having a bad record, were 39-33 in the American League Central last season. And if you believe that the Sox's nucleus is bound to rebound, 2008 might just be pretty good.

Williams has a tendency toward the dramatic. The topic could be driveway snow removal and he could make it seem like the building of the Transcontinental Railroad. It was this tendency that had him saying at SoxFest: "I will take a risk on a high-ceiling player and risk my reputation if I think that player fits into the equation and leads us to a championship."

Quite impressive oratory, until you remember that making decisions that risk his reputation is his job.

He is risking his reputation by keeping the same core of players from last season. It was a risk worth taking.

January seems a little early to give up hope.

Hmmm...I liked it for the sense that he actually makes, compared to Rogers and CO. Plus that quote intrigues me, does that mean we will draft differently? Or does it mean he'll stake his job on Jordan Danks becoming a better player than anyother guy available?

Thought a nice, positive article on the Sox was nice to see.

link

White Sox really could look young again

Rick Morrissey

In the wake of the news

January 28, 2008

Is there any way we can leave open the possibility, small as many seem to think it is, that Ken Williams is correct?

That maybe the White Sox will be pretty good in 2008?

I know, insanity.

Because the Sox won the World Series in 2005, their general manager received the benefit of the doubt for most of the last two seasons. But now there's the sense it's open season on him, which is understandable given that the Sox went 72-90 last year. Williams' critics say he whiffed so many times on free agents in the off-season he has windburn.

This has led to a massive outbreak of grumpiness among Sox fans, many of whom were colicky as babies, a link scientists continue to study.

What happened in 2007 still doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The conventional wisdom is that the Sox visited a pro-aging clinic in Florida and came back wrinkled and tired and full of liver spots. The theory that they got old in a hurry is popular, and if you subscribe to it, you also believe that Williams should have been very, very busy during the off-season.

You mean by acquiring young players such as Torii Hunter, 32, and Aaron Rowand, 30?

Those are two players Williams was unable to land, and he has been ripped for it. OK, fair enough. Two good players who would have helped. The Sox could use a proven center fielder. The team didn't want to pony up the money the two players wanted, they went elsewhere, Jerry Reinsdorf is as cheap as a $3 bottle of wine and blah, blah, blah.

But here are the ages of some of the players on this year's "aging" Sox team: Mark Buehrle, 28; Paul Konerko, 31; A.J. Pierzynski, 31; Jermaine Dye, 34, and Jim Thome, 37. The newcomers, Nick Swisher and Orlando Cabrera, are 27 and 33, respectively.

Thome is the only one for whom age appears to be a huge issue. He's also the one who hit 35 home runs last season.

The Sox's biggest problem last season was productivity, not age.

Sometimes players have bad years. It happens. If you're an owner, a general manager or a manager, you pray that your players don't have their bad years together. That's what occurred on the South Side last season, as if a bunch of ballplayers decided they were going to dive into the deep end as a group.

Konerko's batting average in 2007 was .259, which was 24 points lower than his career average going into the season. Dye's .254 was 23 points lower, and Pierzynski's .263 was 25 lower. Their power numbers dropped as well.

Is it unreasonable to expect they'll all play better this season? No. In fact, it's reasonable to believe they'll bounce back with good seasons. They're proven hitters.

Williams says that if these players simply have their normal seasons, the Sox will be competitive in 2008. Why is that such a leap of faith?

A lot of crystal balls out there show Sox players creaking along with the aid of walkers. Me? I'd rather have the 29-year-old Joe Crede at third base than the 25-year-old Josh Fields. I know that goes against the smart thinking, which says that youth is the answer to most questions. But I have a hard time naming a better third baseman than a healthy Crede. I understand Crede's back is an issue. But then, so is Fields' inexperience.

It's true: The farm system has been drained because of poor decision-making. It's true the Indians appear to be in a different league. It's also true that the middling Juan Uribe, whom many see as epitomizing the Sox's wayward philosophy, shouldn't have been re-signed.

But it's no less true that the Sox, despite having a bad record, were 39-33 in the American League Central last season. And if you believe that the Sox's nucleus is bound to rebound, 2008 might just be pretty good.

Williams has a tendency toward the dramatic. The topic could be driveway snow removal and he could make it seem like the building of the Transcontinental Railroad. It was this tendency that had him saying at SoxFest: "I will take a risk on a high-ceiling player and risk my reputation if I think that player fits into the equation and leads us to a championship."

Quite impressive oratory, until you remember that making decisions that risk his reputation is his job.

He is risking his reputation by keeping the same core of players from last season. It was a risk worth taking.

January seems a little early to give up hope.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 11:20 AM)
Crede would probably be the worst third baseman in the NL East.

Even Pedro Feliz? Or would he take over Feliz's spot? I like to believe that Crede is better, but then again Feliz atleast has been healthy, yet he sucks at the plate

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 10:20 AM)
Crede would probably be the worst third baseman in the NL East.

That line used to be one of my favorites but now that Miggy has departed the division it doesn't really ring true. Crede's also better than Feliz.