Royals Acquiring Reliever

whitesox247

From a KC reporter:

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/s...als/6222806.htm

It's strange, but I like what the Royals did Wednesday a lot more. The Royals traded a couple of marginal prospects -- pitcher Wes Obermueller and second baseman Alejandro Machado -- for hard-throwing Curtis Leskanic. That won't make big headlines anywhere. That won't get Bobby Valentine cooing.

But this is exactly the kind of subtle move that makes teams better. The Royals had to improve their bullpen. So they traded a couple of guys who didn't fit in their future, spent a little extra money and got a guy who might make a big difference in that bullpen.

I thought it was a very good move and in all honesty in definately narrows the gap between the Twins and Royals. I think if the Sox play to their level they are in another league.

But they have to play fundmentally sound baseball, do the little things, etc.

Leskanic is a solid move for KC, especially if he can regain his form of a few years ago when he was a pretty solid closer. KC can use all the arms they can acquire (hell they got Jose Lima). But Jason is right, this division is ours for the taking if we play our game.

KC wont last. Their team just isnt good enough. Their rotation has been battered with injuries. Hernandez and Acensio are down, Jeremy Affeldt isnt very good, Chris George just sucks and maybe May is good but thats not enough.

People were saying that in mid April, and it's now more than halfway through the year, and they are in first

Just food for thought.

Ever since that great start, KC has gone 27-34. Theyre rotation is falling apart and a true team is coming together on the Southside. Just more food for thought...

I agree they haven't put up the same numbers as the start of the season. I just think they could right the ship and go on another big run. I don't think you should ever count out a team in front of you.

Good point. Im just saying that since their great start, theyve been rather below average...

The key, as always, is head to head. We need to apply a little whoop ass on them like the Twins.

Ever since that great start, KC has gone 27-34. Theyre rotation is falling apart and a true team is coming together on the Southside. Just more food for thought...

But lately they have rebounded after a huge slump. Until the Sox win the division, I consider the Royals and Twins contenders.

Good point. Im just saying that since their great start, theyve been rather below average...

This was true until recently. The Royals started 16-3, then 12-26, recently they were 14-5 before losing 4 of their last 6. They were just recently hot and that was how they were able to get back in first. Obviously they are out of that streak with the recent 2-4 record, but if they stay hot/cold the rest of the way and get hot at the end they could still be there. Keep that in mind because I don't think they will swoon until at least late August.

The trade was good as a morale boost and an upgrade to the bullpen. It settles rumors of the Royals being sellers in the deadline and it tells the players that they are fighting.