Workout Tips & Tricks

Texsox

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 09:28 PM)
Nothing very difficult to do, and ptatc definitely knows a hell of a lot more about this stuff than me. Simply fill your bathtub with cold water (just needs to really be below 60*), in waist-deep water and immerse your legs/feet in it for about 15-20 minutes. It's a nice way to eliminate some of the lactic acid build-up that occurs in your legs after a hard run or workout.

Do you use ice to lower the temperature of the water, or is ice somewhat of a misnomer? Are you basically referring to taking a cold shower? ;-)

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 09:55 PM)
General ice baths work wonders as you've said for rejuvenating the legs. Another trick for the legs, especially feet, is to add rubbing alcohol to a bucket of ice and water to lower the freezing point. This can reaqlly take away many overuse sorenesses.

The key with any of the ice baths is no more than 20-30 minutes. If you go more than that the capillaries in the area go from contriction to dialation (the body's attempt to warm the area). This will do the opposite of the effect for which you are looking.

I've used ice baths after every run of 12 miles or more and seem to bounce back faster. I also use them whenever my legs start to feel too fatigued after shorter runs.

How soon after the run should they be done?

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Aug 22, 2009 -> 05:36 PM)
Do you use ice to lower the temperature of the water, or is ice somewhat of a misnomer? Are you basically referring to taking a cold shower? ;-)

I bet ptatc could expound on this more, but reading what I have on the subject--I don't see a cold shower being as effective, if at all. People do use ice in these. I personally have not used ice in mine yet; that may change though. My freezer doesn't have the best ice maker, and I'm too cheap to buy ice solely for the use of making my bathtub a cooler.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 22, 2009 -> 07:35 AM)
Now that you have the size, there is no difficulty in maintaining that size simply by continuing to work out. I'd target shoulders now.

What I need to do is shed a few pounds of bodyfat, since I was a lazy schlub the last 1.5 years or so -- I didn't let myself get too bad, but I put on about 1.5" on the waist...which needs to go. I'm eating better and working out consistently again, so I need a few months, but still...always seems like it takes forever.

That's pretty good maintanance for 1.5 years of being lazy. Things could be a whole lot worse. You're right though, it takes forever to make gains and it can be lost so quickly.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 22, 2009 -> 11:26 PM)
That's pretty good maintanance for 1.5 years of being lazy. Things could be a whole lot worse. You're right though, it takes forever to make gains and it can be lost so quickly.

You aren't kidding...it's so easy to make excuses with all the distractions we have at home these days, from game consoles, computers, tv's...whatever, and it's easy to fall into a rut of convincing yourself you're not feeling any worse (when you are).

I have a decent metabolism, so eating poorly doesn't affect me as much as others...but when it comes to trimming bodyfat, when we don't see immediate results, it's easy to just give up for any number of reasons.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 02:55 PM)
Y2HH,

What about my current routine? Do you see any issues with primary/secondary muscles being worked on the same day?

Chest

Legs/triceps

Shoulders

Back/Biceps

I throw in a an ab routine on days where I have more free time.

If I may butt in here...according to Y2HH, your biceps are not being worked to their full potential because they get used so heavily during your back excersises.

How long have you been doing this split? What are the results??

Y2HH,

What about my current routine? Do you see any issues with primary/secondary muscles being worked on the same day?

Chest

Legs/triceps

Shoulders

Back/Biceps

I do

Legs and back

cardio/plyo

Chest shoulders triceps

cardio

back and biceps

or

Chest and back

cardio

Shoulders and arms

cardio/stairs

Legs and back

Abs on those days and not on the cardio days

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 03:13 PM)
If I may butt in here...according to Y2HH, your biceps are not being worked to their full potential because they get used so heavily during your back excersises.

How long have you been doing this split? What are the results??

Maybe I should do back solo and work in biceps with shoulders?

Y2HH,

Chest

Legs/triceps

Shoulders

Back/Biceps

Yes, working back and biceps on the same day essentially saves you an off day -- meaning you can get an extra day off by combining these -- but you'll never get the same workout when you tire a set of secondary muscles while working another set of primary muscles, and then going back and working those secondaries as if they were now the primaries. I hope you follow what I just tried to say. ;)

For example, if you hadn't tired out your biceps throughout your back workout (and to an extent you will do this), you'd probably be able to curl much more weight for more reps during your arm workout, but since you're arms are already tired from the back exercises (pulling motions), you're now lifting less and getting less bang for your buck when it comes to your arms.

I tend to separate my split with legs -- so that gives my arms and shoulders time to recuperate before they're used again as assist muscles.

Working biceps and triceps one day (arms) followed by shoulders, then going to legs, then going to chest and back (in any order) keeps all secondary muscles away from each other, so every set of muscles gets nailed as a primary on it's specific day. If you do this you're intensity will be much higher, and here is no two ways about it...there is NO way you can tax your arms and then effectively do back or chest workout to the same degree (or even close), no matter what anyone tries to sell you.

I suggest figuring out which muscles are considered secondaries on every exercise you do, write them down and figure out how to seperate them so they don't overlap without at least 48 hours rest between them. When you work chest/pecs, your front shoulder muscle (anterior deltoid) and the tricep muscles are used as secondaries, that said, you wouldn't want to work either of them following up chest unless you're one and only goal is to save time. If you combine these, obviously you can work out less days, but you will NEVER get the same intensity by doing so.

My typical arm day:

I'm currently 5'7" 158lbs (or so). I log all of my workouts, so I know what I lifted and when and how many times -- (I use the iPhone app called iFitness, it logs it all).

Warmup:

Standing Bicep Curl (2 handed bicep exercise)

40lbs (straight bar) 2 hands -- 40lbs @20 rep

40lbs (straight bar) 2 hands -- 40lbs @10 rep

Set 1: 60lbs @10 reps

Set 2: 75lbs @8 reps

Set 3: 85lbs @6 reps

French Press (laying down, 2 handed tricep exercise)

Same warmup as Standing Bicep Curl

Same sets/weight progression as Bicep Curl but all @10 reps each

Single arm cable bicep curl

Set 1: (each arm) 45lbs @8 reps

Set 2: (each arm) 50lbs @6 reps

Set 3: (each arm) 55lbs @4 reps

Dip (unassisted dip, tricep exercise)

Set 1: Bodyweight @10 reps

Set 2: Bodyweight @10 reps

Set 3: Bodyweight @10 reps

Hammer Preacher Curl (1 hand)

Set 1: (each arm) 25lbs @10 reps

Set 2: (each arm) 30lbs @8 reps or to failure

Cable Single Arm inverted tricep pulldown (palm faces up when you do these)

Set 1: (each arm) 45lbs @10 reps

Set 2: (each arm) 50lbs @8 reps or to failure

As I get into better shape again these weights will increase, keep in mind I took quite a few months off because I decided (stupidly) to be a lazy hack...and now I get to pay for it.

Done.

Now, there is NO way I could do that arm workout after I did my back workout, which includes wide arm unassisted pullups, rowing, pulldown, supermans, and more rowing...there is simply NO way, the same would apply if I had just finished a chest workout.

One main rule -- if you insist on combining, ALWAYS work out the larger muscles first, as they will NOT tire as fast as the secondary assist muscles. Such as, if you insist on doing biceps and back on the same day, BACK should be targeted first, not the other way around.

Keep in mind I'm 5'7" and less than 160lbs, so if you weigh 240lbs, you will need to increase the weight accordingly. Keep in mind that the objective here is NOT to injure yourself or to "out lift" the person you're with or some other guy in the gym. Lift carefully and always with proper form.

Edited by Y2HH

Y2HH,

Chest

Legs/triceps

Shoulders

Back/Biceps

send me weekly pictures of your abs so i can see that you are doing your routine correctly

Sorry if this is somewhere earlier in this thread, but what do you know about the '300' workout? Supposedly the workout that was used by the actors to get in shape for the film:

a) Pullups - 25 reps

B) Deadlifts with 135lbs - 50 reps

c) Pushups - 50 reps

d) 24-inch Box jumps - 50 reps

e) Floor wipers - 50 reps

f) Single-arm Clean-and-Press with 36lbs Kettlebell - 50 reps

g) Pullups - 25 reps

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 07:00 PM)
Sorry if this is somewhere earlier in this thread, but what do you know about the '300' workout? Supposedly the workout that was used by the actors to get in shape for the film:

a) Pullups - 25 reps

c) Pushups - 50 reps

g) Pullups - 25 reps

I don't think I could ever do 25 pull-ups in one set, even when I was in my best shape.

The rest I could certainly do, but yeah, that would be a tough regimen to do all in one shot.

a) Pullups - 25 reps

c) Pushups - 50 reps

g) Pullups - 25 reps

ick, that workout is garbage. You need to lower the reps a lot. 50 reps on deadlift? You would get tired as hell and your form would start becoming bad. That is just asking for a back injury. If you want to look like the guys in 300, do 5-10 reps on everything. When doing abs, using weight so you can only do around 10 reps of each exercise. Plus you will have to have an extremely good diet if you want the abs like that.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 11:42 AM)
ick, that workout is garbage. You need to lower the reps a lot. 50 reps on deadlift? You would get tired as hell and your form would start becoming bad. That is just asking for a back injury. If you want to look like the guys in 300, do 5-10 reps on everything. When doing abs, using weight so you can only do around 10 reps of each exercise. Plus you will have to have an extremely good diet if you want the abs like that.

It's pretty obvious that you could never look like the guys in '300' by just doing this workout. It doesn't contain enough isolation exercises.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 05:20 PM)
No worries, hit me up on PM if you need anything. Stay motivated and the end result will be worth the work.

I have finally reached my goal of losing 60 lbs. I am down to 170 lbs from 230 lbs. It took me 24 weeks. Making this lifestyle change is the greatest thing that I have ever done and it is amazing seeing people for the first time in a while and seeing their reactions. Losing this weight has changed my life completely and I've never been this happy.

Here's the best before and after i can give you, i wish i did the whole shirt off thing at the beginning.

fat.jpg skinny.jpg

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 09:37 AM)
What are "floor wipers"?

An ab exercise.

Basically, it's leg raises but you're laying on your back on the floor holding a loaded barbell, arms locked away from you, as if you were ready to bench press, but the bar never moves. You raise your legs up toward your right shoulder, then down to the floor, then up toward your left shoulder.

I've never tried them because I have awful balance and it looks like there is so much room for disaster there.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 06:55 PM)
I have finally reached my goal of losing 60 lbs. I am down to 170 lbs from 230 lbs. It took me 24 weeks. Making this lifestyle change is the greatest thing that I have ever done and it is amazing seeing people for the first time in a while and seeing their reactions. Losing this weight has changed my life completely and I've never been this happy.

Nice work Sonik, now maintain.