Workout Tips & Tricks

Texsox

mods, I think a great idea for a thread in this subsection would be recipe suggestions. I know what I struggle with the most when I'm serious about staying in shape (I'm in that silly window where I'm probably about 10-15 lbs away from being in real good shape, but I just maintain that level) is what to eat. I do a pretty good job of having a routine of similar foods and it doesn't bug me too much, but every now and then I want something different and have a hard time getting good recipes.

Right now I eat oatmeal with bananas x2 a day, a turkey sandwitch x2 a day and usually brown rice, chicken breast and marinara sauce (usually with some sriacha (sp?) sauce for some spice). Sometimes I'll mix in a little steak or another healthy type meal. Also, I usually cheat 2 times a week, when I'm serious it's a strict 1 day cheat.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (That funky motion @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 02:05 PM)
I've been thinking of doing this workout. I have found it for $45 on the internet. What did you pay and do you use the online stuff it come with and the diet?

I paid whatever it costs because I wanted the booklet and the diet book as an outline. I'm not too far in, but basically feel sore in very strange places at this point and consistently see my muscles give out during workouts. This almost never happened to me with the frequency it is in the gym.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 05:43 PM)
I paid whatever it costs because I wanted the booklet and the diet book as an outline. I'm not too far in, but basically feel sore in very strange places at this point and consistently see my muscles give out during workouts. This almost never happened to me with the frequency it is in the gym.

That's only because you are following a guide so your workouts are more intense/orderly -- you could get the same results in the gym if you were equally intense or had someone to push you (such as the guide pushes you now). But this is a good thing, without someone to push, some people lose focus and "take sets off"/"get lazy" and quit sooner than they normally should have. With a properly designed workout, no matter where it's performed, home/gym, etc...your muscles should fatigue (but ONLY after you're pre-shocked), if they aren't, you aren't doing it right. Also, you should wean your way into any new workout (pre-shocking) -- don't go full blast, because the new muscles you "shock" will feel more sore than they really are the first few times and that's usually how a lot of these gimmick/fad workouts get people to think they work better than just doing things the old and prooven methods. Just remember the first few weeks you started in the gym, you were a lot more sore than after your body adapted to using those muscles in that fashion.

I know the workout you are doing, my friend does it. As for the Yoga part of it, I've never been a fan of Yoga, it's gimmicky to me, I've tried it, and I wasn't impressed. Stretching and holding does something, I'm sure, but nowhere near what the spiritual Yoga nuts believe. Yoga is just so post-y2k upper middle class suburban white house wife crap, it makes me want to puke. :D All of these variations in that workout are what make you sore, using a multitude of different muscles in different ways, but in the end, everything gets old...especially gimmicks. After the few few times through this workout and your muscles are pre-shocked, you won't feel it as much as you used too.

I also have this thing against home workouts, so I'm biased...as homes are designed for comfort, not for intense training. I've never yet met a person that's worked out at home consistently over the years -- sure they do it for a few months on end, or even a year, but then it fades away. Meanwhile, I'm going on over a decade in the gym. Winter just ended, so I'm back at it again, after getting married, moving, etc...my time was short this winter, so I had to fore go the gym for a while...feels great to be back.

Edited by Y2HH

Y2,

Yeah, I think much of my problem was that I knew a certain amount of excercises and cardio routines for the gym and after awhile my body got used to the entire spectrum. I wanted to try something else with someone leading me in not only the types of moves I need to do to break my comfort zone, but also the amount of reps I should be doing in an intense workout that is new.

As for Yoga. I know its gimicky, but it does have its uses for maintaining and improving flexbility when training muscle groups. I, for one, have terrible flexibility and am looking to improve it because it does go a long way for healthy joints and muscles.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Apr 5, 2009 -> 10:40 PM)
Rock, keep it up. I'm looking forward to more updates. The thing about P90X that interests me most is the different stages of its design.

Week 3 started. Last week I would say I was very sore from the legs/back workout, but it was a good sore, the kind where you can feel muscles you havent really worked on before as much which is a good step. Tonight I have to do shoulders and back I believe, and after my vball game somehow.

I cheated this weekend on diet, mostly because I got roaringly drunk on friday. Oh well. Just got to get back on the horse.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 01:54 PM)
There is zero percent chance in hell I could sit and reach past my toes, thats such a dumb fitness test.

It's really not bad at all Rock. You put your foot against a box and have to reach forward and move a lever forward, I believe 16 inches. The bench can be difficult especially after running 1.5 miles outside. The bench also varies as it can either be free weights or the universal chest press which I find easier. My experiences with testing has always been pretty easy but the sit-ups are the most intimidating. I always had another applicant holding my feet and counting and it depends on the instructors; they are either looking or talking to another instructor. I test at an actual testing center called NIPSTA the 16th and I assume they're going to be more strict than restless off-duty officers at 9 am on a Saturday. Good luck Flash. I'm coming out of college this coming May with a B.A. in Criminal Justice and thought it would be easy to get a cop job. However, due to the Internet and a bad economy, 400 people are showing up to each test for 1-3 jobs max. Security here I come !

QUOTE (BurlyMan56 @ Apr 6, 2009 -> 11:54 AM)
It's really not bad at all Rock. You put your foot against a box and have to reach forward and move a lever forward, I believe 16 inches. The bench can be difficult especially after running 1.5 miles outside. The bench also varies as it can either be free weights or the universal chest press which I find easier. My experiences with testing has always been pretty easy but the sit-ups are the most intimidating. I always had another applicant holding my feet and counting and it depends on the instructors; they are either looking or talking to another instructor. I test at an actual testing center called NIPSTA the 16th and I assume they're going to be more strict than restless off-duty officers at 9 am on a Saturday. Good luck Flash. I'm coming out of college this coming May with a B.A. in Criminal Justice and thought it would be easy to get a cop job. However, due to the Internet and a bad economy, 400 people are showing up to each test for 1-3 jobs max. Security here I come !

Same to you, Burly.

My goal is to spend the summer training, finish school, seek employment (if not for a police department then I'll work full-time for the job I'm currently at), and just play the waiting game.

You've highlighted one of the greatest disadvantages with applying to any suburban department these days. When you have several hundred people applying for a few job openings, the Police and Fire commission has the ability to skim off the top; take only the best and brightest. Now, I consider myself a good applicant overall, but I'm not without my downfalls. I've had quite a few traffic violations (mostly speeding tickets) these last few years, and additionally, never have had a full time job. Even over the summer. I'd probably be removed at some point.

Personally, the job market is why I decided to enroll in graduate school. By next Fall I'll have a Masters in Criminology, and even though that alone doesn't guarantee anything, I'll atleast have some advantage. At this point, even if I wanted to get on somewhere I know I couldn't because I can't pass the physical agility test. If you're like most applicants (good person overall, with perhaps a few minor things), your best bet is to apply with a department that hires hundreds every year -- Illinois State Police or Cook County Sheriffs Department. Chicago is testing at the end of this year, too. You should definitely consider it. Unfortunately, the hiring process for the CPD is -- at the minimum -- an 18 month wait.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Mods- Sorry for the off topic reply, will be the last.

Yep-

The Border Patrol is doing my background now but that's all I have that looks promising. I'm supposed to interview with Houston P.D. next month and get all my stuff outta the way, that may look promising as well. I'd love Chicago but I don't know if I can play the waiting game. I have Bridgeview, Oak Lawn (physical), Decatur, Springfield, Palatine, Buffalo Grove all coming up but none look like a shoe-in job. I'm in good shape (5'9, 165), will have a B.A. and only have 2 speeding tickets. We'll see what happens though. A masters in Criminology? You shouldn't have a problem getting into private investigations or a federal job right? The only thing is the lack of experience might get you.

Starting very soon here, I'll be doing something I did years ago, that is a great way to get in better shape, tone lower body and a little core, and get an aerobic workout in while commuting. I'm going to bike to work.

My ride is about 6 miles each way. I do it on an MTB with knobbies, which is a lot more work than a road bike with skinny tires, but that is part of the idea. I go basically all out for 30 minutes to get downtown and park the bike at the gym. Do 3 or 4 weight sets (upper body and core), shower and change, walk to work. Go back there to change after work, bike back home. At a high pace of biking for 30 minutes / 6 miles each way, I'll burn 600 to 900 calories (depends on what source you look at), get in two aerobic workouts, save myself the $75/month for the CTA pass, and not add any extra time to my day (since I have to commute anyway)... its fantastic.

And I need it, bad. I've gotten into terrible shape the last few years - I clock in at 6'3" and 250-ish right now. Need to be about 200. I figure if I do this all summer and into fall, I should be back down to 200 by the end of the year.

If anyone here works downtown and lives somewhere else in the city, I highly recommend this option.

Anyone else do this?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 09:31 AM)
Starting very soon here, I'll be doing something I did years ago, that is a great way to get in better shape, tone lower body and a little core, and get an aerobic workout in while commuting. I'm going to bike to work.

My ride is about 6 miles each way. I do it on an MTB with knobbies, which is a lot more work than a road bike with skinny tires, but that is part of the idea. I go basically all out for 30 minutes to get downtown and park the bike at the gym. Do 3 or 4 weight sets (upper body and core), shower and change, walk to work. Go back there to change after work, bike back home. At a high pace of biking for 30 minutes / 6 miles each way, I'll burn 600 to 900 calories (depends on what source you look at), get in two aerobic workouts, save myself the $75/month for the CTA pass, and not add any extra time to my day (since I have to commute anyway)... its fantastic.

And I need it, bad. I've gotten into terrible shape the last few years - I clock in at 6'3" and 250-ish right now. Need to be about 200. I figure if I do this all summer and into fall, I should be back down to 200 by the end of the year.

If anyone here works downtown and lives somewhere else in the city, I highly recommend this option.

Anyone else do this?

I did something similar last year, but not quite on the same intensive level you're talking about here. I work at Blue Cross HQ building downtown (across from Millennium) and at that time lived in Bridgeport, so I'd bike to work in the morning, and go to a local gym during my lunch hour. I've since moved out to Des Plaines, so I no longer bike to work, but I've been doing other things to keep in shape.

If you could keep something like that consistent and stay motivated you'd be in excellent shape by mid July. You could easily lose 50lbs in 2.5-3 months time with that kind of working out.

Edited by Y2HH

Not sure if I am crazy or not, but I'm going to run a 15k Saturday morning. The Statue to Statue run in Birmingham is considered the most difficult non-marathon run in the state of Alabama due to its extreme hills and frequent changes in elevation levels.

If I survive, then I am going to try and run the Country Music 1/2 Marathon in Nashville on the 25th. I have to get off work on Friday to do so, which, aside from killing myself with the 15k would be the only obstacle to doing the 1/2 marathon.

Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it!

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 09:33 PM)
Not sure if I am crazy or not, but I'm going to run a 15k Saturday morning. The Statue to Statue run in Birmingham is considered the most difficult non-marathon run in the state of Alabama due to its extreme hills and frequent changes in elevation levels.

If I survive, then I am going to try and run the Country Music 1/2 Marathon in Nashville on the 25th. I have to get off work on Friday to do so, which, aside from killing myself with the 15k would be the only obstacle to doing the 1/2 marathon.

Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it!

Have you ever run in a marathon before? It sounds like you have but just in case, make sure you band-aid your nipple area...otherwise they'll be bleeding/raw from your shirt by the time you're done.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 08:37 PM)
Have you ever run in a marathon before? It sounds like you have but just in case, make sure you band-aid your nipple area...otherwise they'll be bleeding/raw from your shirt by the time you're done.

Nope, but I am familiar with nipple chafing. 10 1/2 miles is my longest trek to date, and I walked about 3 1/2 of that.

Thanks for the advice. I just hope I don't hurt myself going down the large, steep hills.

Edited by Rex Hudler

Well I survived. Ran the 15k in 1 hour, 46 minutes. The course had hills throughout including one more than a half mile long. The elevation ranged from 400' about sea level to 1000'. Thankfully, the last mile and a half was 95% downhill, so I let the hills do the work and coasted down as fast as I could without losing my balance. I'm definitely glad it is over.

Edited by Rex Hudler

Another tip for the runners who get into long distance. Its on your shoe purchase. Make sure that you get a good shoe, and make sure it matches your strike pattern and pronation. Pronation is how your foot rotates and distributes weight when it lands. You can get your gait analyzed at a running specialty store, and then make a better choice on your shoe.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 25, 2009 -> 03:23 PM)
Another tip for the runners who get into long distance. Its on your shoe purchase. Make sure that you get a good shoe, and make sure it matches your strike pattern and pronation. Pronation is how your foot rotates and distributes weight when it lands. You can get your gait analyzed at a running specialty store, and then make a better choice on your shoe.

pronation means you fall to the outside of your foot. Supination means you fall to the inside of your foot. They do make shoes that correct both of these, though pronation is WAY more common.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 09:02 AM)
pronation means you fall to the outside of your foot. Supination means you fall to the inside of your foot. They do make shoes that correct both of these, though pronation is WAY more common.

I think we are talking about the same thing, 6 in one/half a dozen in the other. I was using prontation to describe the 3 different types, Over/Under(supination)/Neutral. You are correct, over is far more common than the others.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 11:20 AM)
I think we are talking about the same thing, 6 in one/half a dozen in the other. I was using prontation to describe the 3 different types, Over/Under(supination)/Neutral. You are correct, over is far more common than the others.

For those who are curious look at the bottom of a well-worn pair of your shoes. If it looks like one side or another has more ware than the rest, you probably have an un-even gait. Left uncorrected it can lead to ankle, knee, hip, and/or back problems.

So, yesterday I was running for the third straight day (having run 3 miles Monday and Tuesday) and had the unfortunate experience of irritated skin on my....balls. I'm guessing if I've experienced this others must have as well.

The problem seemed to be for those two days prior, my balls were flipping and flopping against the fabric of my boxers and thighs. I've run, in the past, 1.5 miles five days a week without a problem; so it must be that 1.5 mile addition that has caused problems. Thankfully, I was running outside on a track and no one noticed, but the discomfort was enough to where I literally had to stop moving. It felt like someone was pinching my skin whenever it rubbed against something.

Moral of story -- wear underwear, not boxers, when running. Learn from my mistake, Soxtalk.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 06:28 PM)
So, yesterday I was running for the third straight day (having run 3 miles Monday and Tuesday) and had the unfortunate experience of irritated skin on my....balls. I'm guessing if I've experienced this others must have as well.

The problem seemed to be for those two days prior, my balls were flipping and flopping against the fabric of my boxers and thighs. I've run, in the past, 1.5 miles five days a week without a problem; so it must be that 1.5 mile addition that has caused problems. Thankfully, I was running outside on a track and no one noticed, but the discomfort was enough to where I literally had to stop moving. It felt like someone was pinching my skin whenever it rubbed against something.

Moral of story -- wear underwear, not boxers, when running. Learn from my mistake, Soxtalk.

Boxer briefs work wonders for sports vs boxers. Gotta keep those boys a little tighter in there.