Yankees-White Sox Still Talking Trade

elrockinMT

The New Jersey Ledger is reporting the Yankees and Sox are still talking deals as of yesterday. The Yankees want Gordon for their bullpen and Cotts to restock their farm system with a quality arm. The Sox get Weaver, who many on the Yanks think will not be a winner for them, but may still be a good pitcher for someone else.

My question is: Who in the heck would anyone want to part with a talent like Cotts and a relief pitcher, that is picking up the slack from an ineffective Koch, for someone the Yanks think is better as a castoff?

This move doesn't make sense if the Sox give up Cotts. If its Tom Gordon for Jeff Weaver it does make sense.

To me it would mean two things:

1. The Sox believe Dan Wright would be a good closer, and they will replace Gordon's role in the pen with Koch

2. The Sox believe Jeff Weaver is a closer and Koch would replace Flash in the pen.

Personally I believe in option one, cause I think Jeff Weaver is a very good starter. But I've said this so many times lately. The kid isn't afraid to pitch inside and is an old school ballplayer. This is the same kid that was absolutely dominant for a poor team like the Tigers and he still has the dynamite stuff and is very young. Its also a good move in the long run (As long as no Cotts) because the Sox will get a guy that can be in the rotation a long time, as he's signed through 2005. I'm assuming if this is the trade being made, its because Reinsdorf doesn't want Williams to add salary so he is going to have to give something up so the Yanks will pay the majority of Weaver's contract.

Another outside idea in this, is the Sox will move Wright to a setup role and are going to swap Koch for Armando Benitez. Personally I'd rather have Benitez. He's a good closer and maybe the change of scenery would do both some good. The flaw is the Mets wouldnt' really want Koch in return, but they want to get rid of Armando.

Another possibility is that the Sox will take Weaver and move him to the Rangers for Urbina or for another closer.

Guest wsc425
That would be an awful trade. If KW makes a trade like that, I would expect him to be fired. We do need to have some guys in our system, not just trade them all away. Gordon has been pitching well, why trade him.

Gordon is getting older, my friend.

No to Weaver, no to Weaver, no to Weaver.

I've watched him for years and I think he has already peaked. If I am wrong, he is still too much of a head case and high maintenance non team player for the Sox and would only be a rent a player for us.

I would trade for Weaver only if the total cost was Koch.

Personally I believe in option one, cause I think Jeff Weaver is a very good starter.

Have any numbers to back that up? I look at his career numbers and don't see it. He has always given up more hits than innings pitched. His walk totals are decent, but his strikeout numbers aren't great.

He may be better than Danny Wright at the current time, but what does that do for your team? You move Danny to the bullpen where his success is very uncertain since he has never pitched from there. Then you trade away the one guy that may be able to pick up saves while Koch is still struggling and is a pretty reliable setup guy if Koch finds his groove?

That, PLUS possibly giving up one of your top two or three pitching prospects?? And trading with the Yankees, who you may have to compete with in the playoffs??

I can't see this being a really smart move unless you move Weaver onto another team and I would be really surprised to see that happen.

The New Jersey Ledger is reporting the Yankees and Sox are still talking deals as of yesterday. The Yankees want Gordon for their bullpen and Cotts to restock their farm system with a quality arm. The Sox get Weaver, who many on the Yanks think will not be a winner for them, but may still be a good pitcher for someone else.

My question is: Who in the heck would anyone want to part with a talent like Cotts and a relief pitcher, that is picking up the slack from an ineffective Koch, for someone the Yanks think is better as a castoff?

No way can you deal Gordon with Botch's ineffectiveness. If Gordon is dealt, KW better get a real closer..... and fast .

BTW..... I like Marte as the set-up man but wouldn't be opposed to seeing him in the closer role..... WHEN THE '04 SEASON STARTS! No way do I want to see the "Marte Closing Project" in July just because Botch botches and because Gordon may be dealt.

Whatever the case, KW better deal for a real closer..... AND FAST!

I'd make this deal if it were Koch and Stewart for Weaver. No way do I want to give them Cotts or Gordon. Let's settle for the lesser of the two things, and get Weaver.

I really actually do not want Weaver....but if we could get rid of Koch, I'd be all for it.

No damn way I want Mr. Weaver... didn't we want him a year or two ago for a run and we didn't get him. Now I really don't want him and he hasn't pitched for months... he can't have his top stuff and Gordon has been our most consistent guy in the pen.

What the hell are you talking about??

Weaver has been back in the Yankees rotation for the last 4 starts, including one on June 29th.

I guess since he hasn't pitched yet in July technically he hasn't pitched in a month.