Thoughts on the Cubs and the Media

AngelLeroy

I wanted to talk about a few things regarding the large amount of topics on both this website and WSI that bemoan the fact that the Sox have taken an undeserved back seat in the media to the woeful Cubs. I agree that this has become a Cubs town, and that it SUCKS. It's sad that it happened, but we have to accept it. Talking about how unfair it is that the Cubs get all the attention doesn't really do anything, no matter how much fun it is to bash that pathetic organization. We need to focus on the Sox, because the more we talk about the Cubs, the worse we make it for our team. As the old saying goes, "there's no such thing as bad publicity."

That being said, we also need to realize that the national (and the majority of the local) sports media is a bunch of sensationalist lickspittles pandering to what they think people want. I'd bet that the majority of them know more about marketing their "product" than they do about the sport they cover. Either listen to what they say, laugh your arse off, and continue on your merry way, or do what I do and don't even bother watching ESPN or FSN or whatever.

What do you guys think?

I think on the most part most of the posters here could care less about the media bias and that they simply care about the Sox winning.

If the Sox take care of business they wont' even have to worry about the media bias, cause there is no way you can put a bias on a World Series ring.

Once upon a time Chicago was a White Sox town. For a lot of reasons it no longer is. If things fall into place the pendulum can swing back. Of course Jason is right, winning consistently can change things. They can't ignore you on Sports Center if you're a championship team.

I think on the most part most of the posters here could care less about the media bias and that they simply care about the Sox winning.

If the Sox take care of business they wont' even have to worry about the media bias, cause there is no way you can put a bias on a World Series ring.

actually, I couldn't care less... ;) :lol:

a big I agree to your post :cheers

Once upon a time Chicago was a White Sox town.

I don't recall that - I can remember it being more even that it is but not tilted the WS way -

but the current imbalance is pure marketing for the north side and the decision to pull the Sox off free tv in the early 80s and go the cable route - as well as the 94 lock out cheerled by our owner -leaving the field open - and the Trib uses all its might of course - but winning will cure everything, if we ever win

Cycles go in cycles. The Sox made a lot of mistakes, but they will achieve semi-equal footing again, if they just stop stepping on their proverbial dicks too many times. We have the opportunity now to do something special, like winning the division.

I always thought the Sox f***ed up by building the new park where it is, but there is no use b****ing about it now. We just need to put together a winning streak and stay hot during the playoffs.

Good point, if we win, nobody can ignore us.

Obviously the Cubs will always get attention; we have to win to get attention, which I guess is OK.

We tore down our loveable ballpark; they kept their rathole that the public loves.

Good point, if we win, nobody can ignore us.

Obviously the Cubs will always get attention; we have to win to get attention, which I guess is OK.

We tore down our loveable ballpark; they kept their rathole that the public loves.

I loved old Comiskey deeply but it was time to go - structural collapse was getting to be an issue -

I love the location, it preserves the tradition, it is tradition to touch the old home plate, and the easy access via Dan Ryan or the el is a really great thing -

maybe a south loop location would have had the same expressway/el access but no one was thinking of that then -