Looking back at the single season HR record

Soxguy

With all that has happened in the sport in the past 10 years with steroids and McGwire, Sosa and Bonds destroying the HR record, what do you all think the 61 mark now? When someone, if someone, achieves this mark again will it be more highly regarded than the alleged roid users who crushed the record? I for one am eager to see if anyone can break the 61 record and when I think of the season record it's still 61 in my books.

It used to be such a huge number to accomplish and it has just been tarnished in the last decade. It's sad because I remember growing up seeing every year if someone would top the record, now I don't know what kind of press it will get when/if someone hits 60+ homers.

QUOTE (Soxguy @ May 31, 2008 -> 09:10 PM)
With all that has happened in the sport in the past 10 years with steroids and McGwire, Sosa and Bonds destroying the HR record, what do you all think the 61 mark now? When someone, if someone, achieves this mark again will it be more highly regarded than the alleged roid users who crushed the record? I for one am eager to see if anyone can break the 61 record and when I think of the season record it's still 61 in my books.

It used to be such a huge number to accomplish and it has just been tarnished in the last decade. It's sad because I remember growing up seeing every year if someone would top the record, now I don't know what kind of press it will get when/if someone hits 60+ homers.

I think it'll get the press it always gets, 60+ homers is still a big deal. You may not agree with who has the records, but the single season record is 73, period.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 31, 2008 -> 11:33 PM)
I disagree. The record is 73 with people who can't think for themselves. I was excited when Howard approached it recently. To say that Bonds is the owner of the record is just like saying OJ was innocent. It's BS, and everyone knows it.

Bonds is the owner of the record. I don't get why thats BS, thats just fact.

The records now are whatever you see them to be. Sadly, the chemistry experiment owns both records in MLB's book due to Selig's cowardly approach to PED's in the 1990's and that can't be changed. However, fans know what truly went down, and the records really are whatever each individual fan sees them as. The sacred status of baseball records is gone for all eternity, as is the fact they were undeniable numbers that stood on their own merit.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 01:44 AM)
The records now are whatever you see them to be. Sadly, the chemistry experiment owns both records in MLB's book due to Selig's cowardly approach to PED's in the 1990's and that can't be changed. However, fans know what truly went down, and the records really are whatever each individual fan sees them as. The sacred status of baseball records is gone for all eternity, as is the fact they were undeniable numbers that stood on their own merit.

I don't usually agree with you, but I agree with this, word for word.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 12:44 AM)

I completly agree as well. I think the true test will be how long it takes for someone else to hit 60 HR's in one season other than Sosa, McGwire, Bonds. If Utley, Braun, or Quentin :gosox3: does it this or next year then maybe the roids were not an effect. But if it takes like 10 years for one guy to do it then I think it will show the real effect of the drugs on the game.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 31, 2008 -> 11:33 PM)
I disagree. The record is 73 with people who can't think for themselves. I was excited when Howard approached it recently. To say that Bonds is the owner of the record is just like saying OJ was innocent. It's BS, and everyone knows it.

Are you saying OJ was guilty?!

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 09:07 AM)
The thing is, with HGH out there and currently untestable, anyone who hits 60+ in season will be looked at with a jaded eye. Sad, but true.

There are also designer steroids that are currently unknown and untestable for.

I don't feel bad for players who might hit 60 and get looked at funny. Through their union, they all agree to scrutiny.