Morgan Ensberg DFA'ed by Yankees

LittleHurt05

Talk about a guy falling off the map in no time at all, in 05 I think he was top 5 in MVP voting...makes you wonder about the performance enhancers...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AmpL...p&type=lgns

MINNEAPOLIS (AP)—The New York Yankees designated infielder Morgan Ensberg for assignment Sunday and recalled right-hander Scott Patterson for another option out of the bullpen.

Ensberg, once thought to be a rising star with Houston, last played six days ago. His fate was probably realized when Alex Rodriguez was hurt. While A-Rod was on the disabled list from April 30 to May 20, Ensberg hit .185 with one RBI in 27 at-bats in nine games—six starts—at third base.

For the season, the 32-year-old Ensberg was batting just .203 with one extra-base hit, a homer, and four RBIs in 74 at-bats. Three years ago, Ensberg hit .283 with 36 homers and 101 RBIs for the Astros.

After a 12-inning game on Saturday, manager Joe Girardi wanted another reliever. Patterson, one of the last cuts at the end of spring training, allowed one run over 1 1-3 innings in his major league debut Sunday against Minnesota.

“We have some decisions to make over the next few days, but for the short term this is what we’re going to do,” Girardi said before New York’s 5-1 loss to the Twins.

More moves will be coming for the Yankees next week, with catcher Jorge Posada due back Thursday from his rehabilitation of a sore shoulder. Girardi also said he wanted another long reliever as a backup for Joba Chamberlain, who’s set to start on Tuesday.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 07:30 AM)
I don't think Ensberg has ever been close to the top 5 in any kind of MVP voting. He wasn't that good in 05.

2005 stats: .283 BA, 86 R, 36 HR, 101 RBI, 6 SB, .557 SLG

2005 NL MVP voting:

1 Albert Pujols STL 18 378

2 Andruw Jones ATL 13 351

3 Derrek Lee CHC 1 263

4 Morgan Ensberg HOU 0 160 |

5 Miguel Cabrera FLA 0 146

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 06:55 AM)
Ensberg drops off at 32 and it could be PEDs. Another guy goes from a non starter to leading the league in HRs, and that specualtion is wrong.

I assume you are talking about CQ. He was always a high-rated prospect who got hurt and it seems like they have been cracking down on it, so I would assume he wasnt on the juice. But nowadays you never know with anyone, I mean, even Jim freaking Parque was in the Mitchell Report.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 06:55 AM)
Ensberg drops off at 32 and it could be PEDs. Another guy goes from a non starter highly-touted prospect with history of success in the minors who was sidelined by injury to being health and leading the league in HRs, and that specualtion is wrong.