2003 Draft

BFirebird

With the draft coming up and on espn.com there was an article looking back at this draft, I decided to take a look at the number 1 picks from this draft. The White Sox have 3 players drafted in the 1st round of this draft. I thought that seemed kind of unusual.

Danks

Anderson

Quentin

We also used to have AAArdsma.

I wish we could get the BA pick over and take Billingsly or even Wood with that pick but oh well. It looks like that draft could turn out some pretty solid players.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?y...aft_type=junreg

hmmm

Pick #26

Athletics Brian Snyder 3B | | |Stetson University (FL)

Pick from Giants as compensation for Free Agent Ray Durham

Why would we trade Durham for Jon Adkins when we could have just let Durham walk and get compensation?!?

I was mad at that trade back then, this does not help matters.

I know this happened 5 years ago, but still... I hope Kenny does not plan to operate this way any longer.

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 01:42 PM)
hmmm

Pick #26

Why would we trade Durham for Jon Adkins when we could have just let Durham walk and get compensation?!?

I know this happened 5 years ago, but still... I hope Kenny does not plan to operate this way any longer.

Good catch and memory. Ray Ray was always one of my favorite players.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 01:52 PM)
White Sox brass haven't shown much interest in the whole compensatory draft pick deal. We'll see how they handle OC this offseason.

I believe Riske was a class A free agent the one year, and we didnt offer him arb missing out on the picks.

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 11:26 AM)
Cubs picked Ryan Harvey right before Markakis. ouch. Speaking of ouch, the year before, Cole Hamels went right before we took Royce Ring.

Joe Blanton was the guy the whole world thought the Sox were going to take instead of Ring. Turns out the rest of the world was right.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 11:42 AM)
hmmm

Pick #26

This is because everyone thought the compensation system was going to be gone as a result of the new collective bargaining agreement. It had been widely reported that was going to be the case, but at the end of the day that was one of the things that didn't make it into the new agreement (just as a refresher, that was a time where many many experts believed there was going to be a lockout or strike and was the same time baseball was talking heavily about contraction).

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 11:54 AM)
I believe Riske was a class A free agent the one year, and we didnt offer him arb missing out on the picks.

Had the Sox offered Riske arb, the Royals wouldn't have signed him to the deal they did and he probably would have accepted arbitration. Its the same reason why we won't offer Juan Uribe arb (as he's still got a chance of qualifying for type B compensation (1 pick).