question

pale_hose

I dont know if you guys have noticed, but this is something that has been bothering me for over a month now. How come when the Sox are down and not hitting, they swing at the first pitch...always...They've even been swinging at first pitch breaking balls...They arent getting deep into counts and its really frustrating...Our pitchers have been amazing and the sticks arent just doing anything for them...I know there is more wrong than just swing at first pitches, but I think that would be a good place for a correction...

I dont know if you guys have noticed, but this is something that has been bothering me for over a month now. How come when the Sox are down and not hitting, they swing at the first pitch...always...They've even been swinging at first pitch breaking balls...They arent getting deep into counts and its really frustrating...Our pitchers have been amazing and the sticks arent just doing anything for them...I know there is more wrong than just swing at first pitches, but I think that would be a good place for a correction...

[/quote I can only say Ozzie doesn't go by statistics.. On saturday against a mediocre left hander he used Aj who hits .134 aganst lefties rather than hall who hits lefties at a .411 clip. Crede's .100 avg against lefties instead of Ozuna who hits .376 against lefties.. At DH dyes .233 instead of Thome's .254 Quentin also doesn't hit lefties well but is about the same as Anderson .. Ramire would have been a better choice at second batting 100 points higher than Uribe... Ozzie has better info than what we have but doesn't use the numbers... I can't tell you how the Sox can hit better but one thing I noticed in hitters is that when we start seeing the ball going into the opposite field instead of sox hitter pulling everything... Balls seem to fall in for hits.. Quentin can have perfect timing but doesn't hit lefties as well as righties. He might do better to take the ball the other way with a lefty on the mound. Quentin and others will take you deep in a count but too ften we are seeing one pitch pop ups or ground outs... Rongey always defends Walker saying it is not Walker's fault when they don't hit theball.. Walker could develop a strategy for making our hitters smarter and sounds crazy but not trying to hit a homerun each time.. I love Crede when he's hitting well he'll just reach out and place the ball.... I miss Iguchi who was the most unselfish hitter I've ever seen play.. maybe walker is not a bad hitting coach but obviously could do better..

I can only say Ozzie doesn't go by statistics.. On saturday against a mediocre left hander he used Aj who hits .134 aganst lefties rather than hall who hits lefties at a .411 clip. Crede's .100 avg against lefties instead of Ozuna who hits .376 against lefties.. At DH dyes .233 instead of Thome's .254 Quentin also doesn't hit lefties well but is about the same as Anderson .. Ramire would have been a better choice at second batting 100 points higher than Uribe... Ozzie has better info than what we have but doesn't use the numbers... I can't tell you how the Sox can hit better but one thing I noticed in hitters is that when we start seeing the ball going into the opposite field instead of sox hitter pulling everything... Balls seem to fall in for hits.. Quentin can have perfect timing but doesn't hit lefties as well as righties. He might do better to take the ball the other way with a lefty on the mound. Quentin and others will take you deep in a count but too ften we are seeing one pitch pop ups or ground outs... Rongey always defends Walker saying it is not Walker's fault when they don't hit theball.. Walker could develop a strategy for making our hitters smarter and sounds crazy but not trying to hit a homerun each time.. I love Crede when he's hitting well he'll just reach out and place the ball.... I miss Iguchi who was the most unselfish hitter I've ever seen play.. maybe walker is not a bad hitting coach but obviously could do better..

Very good points i could drive myself crazy trying to figure out why uribe got the starts that he did, for one thing. Alexei had won the starting 2b job wiht extremely solid play, and uribe gets one hit and hes back to stater? I would rather of had Pablo in the outfield and Alexei back at second. :gosox3:

These one pitch pop outs and weak grounders have to go...Its the most boring baseball to watch when that happens...Our pitching is awesome, but they cant score us runs...Fire Walker, and get us some new blood in there...2 1/2 years of this crap is enough!

Changing hitting coaches isn't going to do anything, these players are who they are and theres nothing that can be done.

Any pitcher with a good change up or sinker absolutly dominates them.

Anytime I here Hawk say "you gotta make him get the ball up" I might just turn off the TV and do something better with my time.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 01:40 PM)
There was an article on this issue today on one of the websites (chisox.com maybe) where the players say they can't figure out the lack of timely hitting either. Not good.

1. Like an earlier poster said earlier, Ozzie has to go back to match ups. No reason to start Pierzynsi against a lefty i/o Hall. When the line up hits, we can screw around with crap like that. Until then it's time to put the players in a position to succeed.

2. This team presses when things aren't going right (i'm sure most players do) and they get anxious an start hacking and trying to pull everthing. If anything they should do the opposite and get back to the basics of what made them successful over the years. Easier said then done.

The Sox offense really shouldn't be a mystery to us at all by this point....They're a HR reliant hitting team, if they're hitting them, they're scoring some runs. If they're not hitting bombs, they're screwed since most of this lineup is slow, doesn't work pitchers with the exception of Quentin or Thome nor hit for batting average enough to set up scoring opportunities.

The reason the Cubs Offense has been fantastic this yr is because they are working pitchers to death with their outstanding OBP and setting up favorable counts with runners in scoring position. They simply don't give in to a pitcher and we're gonna get a dose of that over the next couple of weekends. I just hope the Sox hitters take some notes.

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Jun 17, 2008 -> 12:22 PM)
I can't remember a time in my life when the Sox had a consistent hitting team...but those 5 years of college i just finished erased most of the 90s from my memory however....

Only 4 1/2 here, but yeah, I feel you.

I know that this team relies mostly on the longball for production, but if we could just raise some of the batting averages, especially with RISP, I think with the pitching we have we could prevent some of these prolonged funks/losing streaks and make a sustained run at the division. Easier said than done though. I'm just sick of the highs and lows this team puts us through. The highs are so high (like yesterday's game), and the lows feel like rock bottom.