Konerko injures rib cage, may hit DL

SoxPride56

Konerko injures rib cage, may hit DL

06/15/2008 7:30 PM ET

By David Just / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- Paul Konerko took some swings in the batting cages before Sunday's series finale with the Rockies. That would be all the action he would see for the day, and possibly a lot longer.

Konerko said he suffered a strain of his intercostals muscles, though he and team trainers weren't 100 percent sure what the injury was.

"I don't know exactly how bad he is right now," White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said after the game. "But hopefully with [Monday] off, Tuesday they'll see how he feels. You know when you [have] problems with the rib cage, you hope for the best, but I'm not too optimistic about it."

Guillen suggested that Konerko may be placed on the disabled list if the pain persists.

"Most of the times, that happens," Guillen said. "Because that's a real sensitive area, and the one you use the most when you play baseball."

Konerko was at a loss for words about the injury after the game, having been scratched just 20 minutes before game time.

"I've never had anything happen like that," Konerko said. "So I don't really have any answers for you, other than, 'I took a swing and that ended the day. We'll see where it is on Tuesday.'"

Konerko said team trainer Herm Schneider didn't have any instructions for the slugger other than to rest and stay hydrated until Tuesday, when Konerko will be re-evaluated.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 15, 2008 -> 08:15 PM)
Perhaps a stint on the DL is just what Paulie needed. It can help heal his back and thumb, and get him back to 100% come the early part of July, when we will really need a bat.

If he goes on the DL, who gets called up? Fields?

Prolly Brad Eldred im guessing, he has like 24 hr. And I believe he has some Major League experience.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 15, 2008 -> 07:15 PM)
Perhaps a stint on the DL is just what Paulie needed. It can help heal his back and thumb, and get him back to 100% come the early part of July, when we will really need a bat.

If he goes on the DL, who gets called up? Fields?

This might not be the popular choice, but I would bring up Owens. He is hitting .310 in his last 10 games, and he has something this team needs... Speed. I know he doesn't walk a lot, but at this point, can he be any worse then what we have? Bringing up Owens, can also give some rest for Q, BA, and Dye.

Agree? Disagree?

This would be a nice time to get Fields' bat in the lineup, but that can't happen because Thome is a big blob and can't play first.

Any scenario in which Fields could be called up?

I have a feeling we've seen the last of Paulie for a while.

QUOTE (SoxPride56 @ Jun 15, 2008 -> 07:48 PM)
This might not be the popular choice, but I would bring up Owens. He is hitting .310 in his last 10 games, and he has something this team needs... Speed. I know he doesn't walk a lot, but at this point, can he be any worse then what we have? Bringing up Owens, can also give some rest for Q, BA, and Dye.

Agree? Disagree?

I actually agree. We need something different up here and the power/slugging all or nothing part of the game isnt working for us clearly. Im ready to take a chance on something different at this point.

1. Owens CF

2. OC SS

3. Q LF

4. Dye RF

5. Thome DH (ugh)

6. AJP C

7. Swish 1B

8. Crede 3B

9. Alexei 2B

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 06:39 AM)
I actually agree. We need something different up here and the power/slugging all or nothing part of the game isnt working for us clearly. Im ready to take a chance on something different at this point.

1. Owens CF

2. OC SS

3. Q LF

4. Dye RF

5. Thome DH (ugh)

6. AJP C

7. Swish 1B

8. Crede 3B

9. Alexei 2B

Rock after Ozzie watched what Pods and taveras did to them on the bases this weekend, Owens will get the call if Konerko gets DL'd.

I may have to take this back but i don't think Eldred will see the majors anytime soon if at all unless there is some sort of an emergency or he becomes a late bloomer Ross Gload type.

Here is what I'm struggling with. Sox fans are frustrated with the all-or-nothing type offense, understandably so. All these strikeouts, big swings, and lack of contact hitting. So the proposed solution? Bring up guys like Brad Eldred and Josh Fields, both of whom are striking out a ton in Triple A. That's not a solution, that's a let's throw something at the wall and see if it sticks. Fields is down to .251 now and Eldred isn't much higher. Striking out once every three times in AAA doesn't scream solution to me.

They need to bring someone in from the outside.

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 08:01 AM)
Here is what I'm struggling with. Sox fans are frustrated with the all-or-nothing type offense, understandably so. All these strikeouts, big swings, and lack of contact hitting. So the proposed solution? Bring up guys like Brad Eldred and Josh Fields, both of whom are striking out a ton in Triple A. That's not a solution, that's a let's throw something at the wall and see if it sticks. Fields is down to .251 now and Eldred isn't much higher. Striking out once every three times in AAA doesn't scream solution to me.

If someone like Jermaine or Alexei got hurt and we brought up Eldred i could agree with this, but the fact is that one of supposed power hitters/ Rbi guys got hurt. So, bringing up a power hitter would be logical, Konerko, when he isnt grounding into double plays struckout and got out a myriad of other ways (although he was starting to come around) so bringing up a guy with the pop that Eldred has wouldnt be a bad idea. :gosox3:

oh god no, PLEASE NO JERRY OWENS!

You know what, I agree. If he were tearing it up in AAA I would say well, why not. But he isn't, he has been very inconsistent. 3-5 one night, 0-4 the next two nights. On base % not that great, I think about .332 or so.

On the other hand, looking at the 40 man, there's not much else. They have one spot open so they could bring someone from outside on board. Unless they want to go the DeWayne Wise route again. Frankly, no one they have in the minors fits the bill. They need a contact hitter with speed, preferably a leadoff guy, a veteran guy who can help in a pennant race and a guy who can disrupt the opposition. Is that guy available? If so, they need to get it done. The team is sleepwalking, it is frustrating to everyone and they need a jolt.

If someone like Jermaine or Alexei got hurt and we brought up Eldred i could agree with this, but the fact is that one of supposed power hitters/ Rbi guys got hurt. So, bringing up a power hitter would be logical, Konerko, when he isnt grounding into double plays struckout and got out a myriad of other ways (although he was starting to come around) so bringing up a guy with the pop that Eldred has wouldnt be a bad idea. :gosox3:

I can see your point.

And yet, to me, Eldred is more of the same. The same frustrations we are currently experiencing.

But we'll see what they do. I would rather see them swing a deal for Catalanatto for instance.

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 08:01 AM)

Someone like Konerko doesn't really have an all-or-nothing approach, though. He has a nothing approach. He's hitting for a low average with little power. If he were hitting around .280 with his usual power numbers his all-or-nothing approach wouldn't be so terrible. Fields certainly isn't an ideal hitter for this lineup but he could at least provide us some respectable production. I'd take that over the other in-house options like Owens, BA, and the injured and/or washed up Konerko.