6/20 Games - Friday night

scenario

Lehigh Valley @ Charlotte

Whisler pitching

Eldred hit his 25th homerun in the 3rd inning.

Jacksonville @ Birmingham

Poreda pitching

Potomac @ Winston-Salem

Zaleski starting

Tied 2-2 in the 5th.

West Virginia @ Kannapolis

Socolovich with the start

Kanny up 4-2 in the 4th. Gallagher with a 3-run homerun.

Billings @ Great Falls

Cody Allen with the start

(2007 - Converted to a pitcher and went 0-1 with a 2.89 ERA with 12 strikeouts in 9 1/3 innings for the Gulf Coast League Marlins...allowed one home run in his Minor League debut as a pitcher on July 1.)

Bristol @ Burlington

Po Yu Lin pitching

Bristol bringing the lumber tonight. Up 7-2 in the 4th.

Edited by scenario

Charlotte won 8-2.

Nice job by Whisler. 6 innings; 2 runs on 7 hits; 2 K's and 0 walks. His record improves to 8-3. His ERA drops to 3.10.

Somebody woke Jason Bourgeois UP. He went 3-5 tonight. He's batting .432 in the last 10 games and has raised his season average to .275.

Poreda was what I expected. His velocity was in the high 90's, touching 99 at one point. Although his delivery was almost effortless. You wouldn't think he'd generate that kind of speed with his throwing motion. One thing that is not true about Aaron...he's not 6'6" nor 240. I'd say he's about 6'4" and 1/2 and about 220.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 21, 2008 -> 02:47 PM)
Poreda was what I expected. His velocity was in the high 90's, touching 99 at one point. Although his delivery was almost effortless. You wouldn't think he'd generate that kind of speed with his throwing motion. One thing that is not true about Aaron...he's not 6'6" nor 240. I'd say he's about 6'4" and 1/2 and about 220.

The radar gun on the field in B'Ham is a little hot; he actually topped out at 97 on Friday, according to other sources.

You're right about his height; he's probably closer to 6'5". However, he does weight 235 - 240 lbs.

QUOTE (moragasoxfan @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 03:35 PM)

The radar gun on the field in B'Ham is a little hot; he actually topped out at 97 on Friday, according to other sources.

You're right about his height; he's probably closer to 6'5". However, he does weight 235 - 240 lbs.

Welcome to Soxtalk!

QUOTE (moragasoxfan @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 02:35 PM)

Welcome aboard and thanks for the info!!!

QUOTE (moragasoxfan @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 03:35 PM)

Standing next to catcher Cole Armstrong, who is 6'3" 220, Aaron looked leaner and barely taller.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 04:35 PM)
Standing next to catcher Cole Armstrong, who is 6'3" 220, Aaron looked leaner and barely taller.

I have a mark on the kitchen wall that puts him at a little over 6' 5", and at spring training, he said he was down to about 230; however, at his last official weigh-in (last month), he checked in at 240.

QUOTE (moragasoxfan @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 09:56 PM)

I have a mark on the kitchen wall that puts him at a little over 6' 5", and at spring training, he said he was down to about 230; however, at his last official weigh-in (last month), he checked in at 240.

Interesting. So we apparently have a friend of his on the board?

By the way, what's with all the italics?

QUOTE (moragasoxfan @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 08:50 AM)
Apparently

Coolio.

What's your take on his breaking stuff? There has been discussion that he's got great velocity and decent control, but that his breakers may not have much consistency, and his fastball may be somewhat flat.

QUOTE (moragasoxfan @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 07:56 PM)

Sweet, I love this sort of info. I'm real excited to see how Aaron progresses at this next level. I know from some discussions I've had with some people in the org, the Sox have been working a lot with Aaron on having him improve his secondary stuff and I was going to see if you could provide us with any insight as to how that is going? Have they gotten to a point where they have him throw some of those pitches in situations where he wouldn't usually (so that he gets more comortable with it)?

I know in the past organizations have done that sort of things with there top prospects where they essentially tell them to focus on improving there weaknesses and to stop relying on there strenghts so that the weaknesses get better (cause the strengths' will always be there).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 11:56 AM)
Sweet, I love this sort of info. I'm real excited to see how Aaron progresses at this next level. I know from some discussions I've had with some people in the org, the Sox have been working a lot with Aaron on having him improve his secondary stuff and I was going to see if you could provide us with any insight as to how that is going? Have they gotten to a point where they have him throw some of those pitches in situations where he wouldn't usually (so that he gets more comortable with it)?

I know in the past organizations have done that sort of things with there top prospects where they essentially tell them to focus on improving there weaknesses and to stop relying on there strenghts so that the weaknesses get better (cause the strengths' will always be there).

The change and slider are both progressing, and he is throwing them more often in key game situations. He's been working to get the velocity of the change down into the low 80s and still maintain the appearance of the FB (arm speed, mechanics, etc). With the slider, the main thing that he's working on now is command.

He often has a target for how many off speed pitches to throw in a game. However, since they're still a work in progress, sometimes it costs him (in terms of BB, ERA, etc). In his last start he threw about 25 offspeed pitches (out of 90).

QUOTE (moragasoxfan @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 12:07 PM)
The change and slider are both progressing, and he is throwing them more often in key game situations. He's been working to get the velocity of the change down into the low 80s and still maintain the appearance of the FB (arm speed, mechanics, etc). With the slider, the main thing that he's working on now is command.

He often has a target for how many off speed pitches to throw in a game. However, since they're still a work in progress, sometimes it costs him (in terms of BB, ERA, etc). In his last start he threw about 25 offspeed pitches (out of 90).

Thanks the the info. It's always nice to have someone around here with information the average person can't get.