Fields and Floyd for a SP?

beck72

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 10:49 PM)
Somebody said they'd gladly deal Alexei. I say, 'Why?'

The guy is exciting. Why can't we have some exciting players around for say, five to 10 years? Why trade a find like Lexi??

I don't know. Maybe he doesn't walk enough. Some people get hung up on certain stats.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 07:11 PM)
No one ever said he was going to be the "next Roy Halladay."

And scouts and other experts project pitchers to be serviceable for the duration of their careers all the time. Simply because you won't do it doesn't disallow anyone else from doing so.

re: italics/bold: no one at all except for wite in previous posts, and that's relevant because he's the man whose hyperbole I was criticizing. (For the record, we're friends and on good terms, so we can talk about each other's baseball conversations and exchanges.) And re: italics -- I specifically said that people can say what they want to say about whatever ballplayer. Good for them. But when I read that Gavin Floyd is going to be really good for 5-10 years -- that he's "probably" going to be that good -- I've got to laugh and hyperventilate at the same time. He's a guy whose career has to be taken one game at a time because he still walks a ton, he's allowing a ton of unearned runs and a bunch of homeruns. Baseball is full of guys who have one good year and never do it again, and his year this year hasn't even been all that hot.

This gloating from people that Floyd's having a breakout season is fine and well. I figured if the guy has any success I'd be asked about it by everyone, and I was right. He's earned it, though. It isn't pretty, but that doesn't mean he's earned it. It's just that I didn't expect the forum to go nuts extrapolating him to be one of the better pitchers in baseball from now until he's 35 years old. I've given him the credit he deserves; I'm not going to put some extreme expectations on him in addition to the kind words about finally not having an ERA over five. I am rooting for him, but I am cautiously pessimistic.

Edited by Gregory Pratt

Personally I think we should shelve Jose for the rest of the year and try to deal for a starter like some other teams have done. Who that starter is and who we should deal? I have no idea. It's why KW gets the big bucks.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 10:49 PM)

The guy is exciting. Why can't we have some exciting players around for say, five to 10 years? Why trade a find like Lexi??

Who said that, and when did they say it?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 08:49 PM)

I'd deal Alexei for Halladay. But it would literally take a proven stud like Halladay to make me want to move Alexei. Quentin is the only truly untouchable offensive player, IMO.

Apparently that logic doesn't apply to Floyd for some reason.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 10:23 PM)
Uh, yeah, that's what he's had. I didn't say that he's a Kerry Wood-like wuss who's on the DL twice a year with pitching-related injuries. But he did also have those in 2004, as you pointed out.

Ok, I guess I just don't consider an appendectomy and a broken leg from a liner "issues." Maybe I wasn't taking your comment literally enough. Then yes, he's had health issues over the course of his career.

There sure are lots of italics being tossed around in this thread. Be careful with those, guys. Someone might get hurt.

Oh, and Gavin Floyd is a 25 year old pitcher who's having a pretty good season in the middle of a pennant race in the AL in his first full season in the majors. That's pretty impressive to me, but I guess if you're looking for 12 Ks a game or a shutout every other start you'll be disappointed.

QUOTE (almagest @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 10:18 AM)
There sure are lots of italics being tossed around in this thread. Be careful with those, guys. Someone might get hurt.

Oh, and Gavin Floyd is a 25 year old pitcher who's having a pretty good season in the middle of a pennant race in the AL in his first full season in the majors. That's pretty impressive to me, but I guess if you're looking for 12 Ks a game or a shutout every other start you'll be disappointed.

:notworthy Perspective is a wonderful thing.