Brian Anderson Story

elrockinMT

Wednesday, July 9, 2003

A 'five-tool' regular guy

Humble No. 1 pick tearing up league

By SCOTT MANSCH

Tribune Assistant Sports Editor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brian Anderson is an extra special baseball player, a $1.6 million first-round draft choice whom Chicago White Sox officials labeled a rare "five-tool" talent upon selecting him with the 15th overall pick in the amateur draft last month.

It hasn't taken long for the center fielder to make an impression upon Great Falls fans, what with his outstanding size (6-2, 205 pounds), grace in the outfield and power at the plate. The former University of Arizona star connected for the cycle (single, double, triple, home run) in his sixth professional game and is currently hitting .429 with 13 RBI as the White Sox enter an important three-game series that starts tonight in Helena.

What makes Anderson so extraordinary -- and important to the success of the Sox -- is something that cannot quite be measured in the box scores.

"The thing I'm most impressed with," said Great Falls manager Chris Cron, "is Brian's ability to be a regular guy. Sometimes these No. 1 picks are just a little high on themselves, and he doesn't seem to be that way."

Cron, who reached the major leagues as a player and has been managing at the Triple-A level the past three years, realizes that chemistry in the clubhouse is as important as talent on the field.

"Brian seems like a regular guy who gets along with everybody," Cron said. "He generally cares about the team and wants his teammates to do well. And then he brings all those other things to the table."

Cron was talking about Anderson's ability to hit, hit with power, run, throw and play defense. The ball flies off his bat in all directions in a manner uncommon to many professionals, and his gliding ability in the outfield is obviously an asset.

Want more proof of Anderson's potential?

"Well, I still feel a little uncomfortable at the plate," he said the other day at Legion Park. "But I think that will come around."

Mind you, Anderson was hitting over .400 when he made those comments.

"Tell you what, he's pretty good," said Mike Lum, the ex-major league slugger and veteran White Sox minor-league hitting coordinator. "He does a lot of things correctly. He's able to hit the ball in the middle of the plate the other way. A lot of times with young hitters, all they want to do is pull the ball. But this kid, he's pretty polished."

Anderson, 21, smiled easily and often during a recent interview.

"It's a lot of fun. I like it here," he said. "I come from a pretty big place (Tucson) and 55,000 sounded like a small town. But it's really pleasant here. There's a lot of nice and it's a good environment, a good baseball environment."

Of course, it's a better baseball atmosophere at Legion Park when the home team is winning. And they've been doing a lot of that this summer.

"It's amazing," said Anderson. "We've got some talent on this team. Especially our outfielder. It's so talented, and we push each other. We all know if we don't play well, someone will take our spot."

Anderson's position is pretty safe. His signing bonus guarantees a lot, and so does the way he goes about his business. In fact, Cron said the latter is far more important.

"I like the way he swings the bat, and I really like the way he plays defense," Cron said. "He knows where to throw the ball when it's hit to him and he's got good arm strength. At the plate, he finds ways to get hits. He's not really tearing the cover off the ball yet, but he finds ways to throw two or three hits together."

Not bad for a kid who grew up hoping to be a basketball player.

"That was my main sport growing up," Anderson said. "But it was different when I got to high school. Our basketball teams were good, but our baseball teams were dominant."

In the last few weeks, there's been another dramatic change in Anderson's life.

"I was always a Dodger fan," said Anderson.

Funny, a lot of folks at Legion Park used to say the same thing.

"But when I got drafted by the White Sox I had to change my views a little bit," he said.

One thing that hasn't changed, apparently, is the size of Anderson's head. And that's refreshing for a lot of folks connected to the Sox either by vocation or avocation.

"It's just the Good Guy Syndrome," Cron said. "Brian Anderson is a nice guy, and everybody gets along with him fine."

A thought to ponder....

say in 3-4 years when he and Reed are ready and assuming Borchard is playing like he can, imagine the outfield (in no particular OF order)... Anderson, Reed, JB....wonder what would happen to Maggs? would he still be here and one of those traded or maggs signs with another team?

A thought to ponder....

say in 3-4 years when he and Reed are ready and assuming Borchard is playing like he can, imagine the outfield (in no particular OF order)...  Anderson, Reed, JB....wonder what would happen to Maggs?  would he still be here and one of those traded or maggs signs with another team?

I think Borchard may be moved to 1st base if that happened

A thought to ponder....

say in 3-4 years when he and Reed are ready and assuming Borchard is playing like he can, imagine the outfield (in no particular OF order)...  Anderson, Reed, JB....wonder what would happen to Maggs?  would he still be here and one of those traded or maggs signs with another team?

I think Borchard may be moved to 1st base if that happened

i'm not so sure. i think JB will stick in the OF since he does have decent speed for a big guy. i would love to see him in RF but Maggs is there. i think he could be a tremendous RF.

Think what we would have to give up for Beltran. It would have to be top prospects. No one here seems to want to trade our prospects.

I'm willing to trade him, but I think what they are asking for Beltran is ridiculous. KC isn't going to deal within the division as they are the team to beat right now.