Pitching K:BB- 2.2:1

WHIP- 1.3

SB-81 SB/G-.73

OBP-.324

OPS-.726

Hitting K:BB-2.1:1

RA/Game-4.2

RF/Game-4.6

Despite the ERA as of right now these guys are having a very similar year to those 05 sox. Also with the addition of Teixiera the angels OPS should go up some.

08 Sox (Just because im bored at work) 61-49

BA-.266

ERA-.395

Pitching K:BB-2.5:1

WHIP-1.31

SB- 48 SB/G-.43

OBP-.337

OPS-.783

Hitting K:BB-1.84:1

RA/Game-4.4

RF/Game-4.9

Errors/Game-.74

If this team showed some consistancy througout this season they would be doing much better.

This team is 2004 all over again. A feast-or-famine HR-dependent team with no speed and now the missing fifth starter. I kinda knew going in that we'd be lucky to snag 3rd place.

What nobody saw coming was PK's collapse. You look at a team like Anaheim or even Boston and we look like an AAA team.

The one bright spot has been Dye, who's getting it done at the plate. And Quentin.

Bringing in Griffey seemed like patching a hole that PK created in the lineup, making it essentially a zero-sum gain.

I think 2009 is a must year for rebuilding. Without speed and a leadoff hitter we're going to be seeing this year after year.

Statistics aren't telling the whole story for the comparison though.

The number don't look bad because of how we were doing early in the season. The past 2 months our ERA has gone way up, our quality starts have gone way down, our errors and defense has been piss poor and I'm sure our OBP has gone down. Everyone on this team aside from a few players has been crappy the past 2 months.

That is why the whole percentage of making the playoffs and all those stats are basically meaningless. They estimate chances by how the team is playing at that time and if they continue playing at those succession rates.

I still believe this team can make the playoffs, but all indications are it won't go far.

BTW, I'm not trying to aim this post at anyone. Just my opinion.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 11:02 AM)
This team is 2004 all over again. A feast-or-famine HR-dependent team with no speed and now the missing fifth starter. I kinda knew going in that we'd be lucky to snag 3rd place.

What nobody saw coming was PK's collapse. You look at a team like Anaheim or even Boston and we look like an AAA team.

The one bright spot has been Dye, who's getting it done at the plate. And Quentin.

Bringing in Griffey seemed like patching a hole that PK created in the lineup, making it essentially a zero-sum gain.

I think 2009 is a must year for rebuilding. Without speed and a leadoff hitter we're going to be seeing this year after year.

and Ramirez...and Floyd....and Danks...and Linebrink....and Dotel....and Thorton...and AJ

Apparently after dropping down .5 games, it has become easy to just say we suck now.

If our pitchers come anywhere close to 1st half form, which you can't say its unreasonable to think that they will pitch better than they have lately, we are incredibly dangerous. Our lineup with a healthy Joe Crede in it will be a pitcher's nightmare, especially if Swish or Paulie came around at all. OC as our spark plug tends to be the start of many rallies. AJ isn't a prototypical 2 hitter but its nice to have the .290 bat at the top of the order. Then, Quentin and Dye who are just murdering balls, Thome who as of late has been doing as well or better than those two, a hot Ken Griffey Jr. and the .310 hitting Alexei Ramirez are just going to cause some nightmares. Bringing Joe back to be a .270 hitter (assuming he hits a little better than he did right before going to the DL) and always a home run and double threat only adds to this. The only breath a pitcher will be able to take in our whole lineup is Swish, because he hits for such a low average. But even with Swisher, his power is always looming and he walks a ton. With a lineup like ours, we don't need the first-half pitching. We just need something more like it, even just the career norms for most of these guys.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 02:20 PM)
and Ramirez...and Floyd....and Danks...and Linebrink....and Dotel....and Thorton...and AJ

Apparently after dropping down .5 games, it has become easy to just say we suck now.

Um, I've been pretty consistent all season about questioning whether the composition of this team is what we want to get us to the playoffs and through them. I also said going into the ASB--said it here--that hey: I'm surprised we made it this far and are in first, but I'll take it.

I was speaking mostly about the offense, so while you're right about Danks and Floyd (and I overlooked AJ), it certainly took Ramirez a while to come around. But I'll take that, too.

Point being that TOGETHER this offense has been very 2004-like. The only time this team felt different to me was when PK was out and Swish was at first base. I really liked the look/feel of that.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 09:41 AM)
Um, I've been pretty consistent all season about questioning whether the composition of this team is what we want to get us to the playoffs and through them. I also said going into the ASB--said it here--that hey: I'm surprised we made it this far and are in first, but I'll take it.

I was speaking mostly about the offense, so while you're right about Danks and Floyd (and I overlooked AJ), it certainly took Ramirez a while to come around. But I'll take that, too.

Point being that TOGETHER this offense has been very 2004-like. The only time this team felt different to me was when PK was out and Swish was at first base. I really liked the look/feel of that.

Any offense will look moribund when the pitching staff gives up 12 runs a game. Offense isn't our problem, and hasn't been for a while.

QUOTE (almagest @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 09:46 AM)
Any offense will look moribund when the pitching staff gives up 12 runs a game. Offense isn't our problem, and hasn't been for a while.

Indeed. Without numbers to back me up I would assume we have had one of the worst pitching staffs in the league in the last 3 weeks or so.

QUOTE (almagest @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 10:46 AM)

It's not? What team are you watching?

Same ole, same ole:

-Feast or famine

-Live and die by the home run

-And HOW MANY times have we seen, repeat after me: men. Stranded. On. Base.

Bases loaded, at the corners, you name it... and then PK pops up. Or Swish hits into a double play.

I don't know why people keep fighting me on this. This is a 2004 offense.

I realize the pitchers have stunk lately but they're the one thing I really wouldn't change. Unless you could dump Contreras which I know we can't do.

Don't get me wrong; I haven't thrown in the towel on the season; I'm just not holding my breath.