Sox to put in a claim for Washburn?

AWhiteSoxinNJ

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 08:51 PM)
I was more referining to WHY DIDN'T WE GET BYRD OR WAHSBURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" posts, which there are two very good reasons, but you are correct.

I still don't understand how the Sox didn't end up with Byrd. I just don't get why there wasn't a little bit more interest.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 12:45 PM)
I still don't understand how the Sox didn't end up with Byrd. I just don't get why there wasn't a little bit more interest.

Possibly his PED use? Kenny tends to avoid those players (although we did have Canseco on our squad for a little while several seasons ago).

I'm wondering if Shapiro told Kenny and Bill Smith off the record that he wouldn't agree to a deal with a divisional opponent off the record beforehand.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 09:56 AM)
Possibly his PED use? Kenny tends to avoid those players (although we did have Canseco on our squad for a little while several seasons ago).

I'm wondering if Shapiro told Kenny and Bill Smith off the record that he wouldn't agree to a deal with a divisional opponent off the record beforehand.

The worst "character" guys I can remember us taking on were probably Wil Cordero and Belle.

Although there were a ton of rumors about problems in the clubhouse with Royce Clayton and Lofton, and that they were a bad influence on Carlos Lee.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 08:56 AM)

Even if Shapiro said that he wouldn't agree to a deal, I would have claimed Byrd anyways using the old "if I can't have him, no one can" philosophy, but it also hurts Cleveland as they would have gotten nothing back and Boston would have had to have looked elsewhere for a 5th or 6th starter. As a fan of the White Sox, that's win-win-win as far as I'm concerned.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 10:41 AM)
Even if Shapiro said that he wouldn't agree to a deal, I would have claimed Byrd anyways using the old "if I can't have him, no one can" philosophy

Agreed. I would've done the same thing.