Sox to put in a claim for Washburn?

AWhiteSoxinNJ

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 10:51 AM)
I don't believe anything that Kenny tells the media. His statements are made to put him in a position to get better leverage in negotiations.

Probably.

I wouldn't trade Poreda for Millwood. But I might package him with Fields and an a couple of A-ballers for somebody like Halladay. Poreda straight-up for Burnett might not be a bad deal, although he's been unusually mediocre this year.

Given how badly Thornton and Logan have been pitching and that Poreda will be cheap and under Sox control for several more years, I think he'd fit in very nicely on this team.

I wouldn't trade him for Millwood straight up, but I would trade him and Fields for Blalock and Millwood. Blalock fills the 3B whole next season and gives us a bat that crushes RHP. Millwood fills Joses spot for the next year and a half and likely nets a comp pick. Millwood was pretty successful in Cleveland, so that lends me to believe that his struggles are more related to his current team/environment than talent level.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 10:34 AM)
I can't imagine Halladay would clear waivers or get anywhere close to us. Hell, I'd claim him if I were the Pirates. Burnett has a reasonable shot of at least being able to move to some team that might want him, but I wouldn't move Poreda for him, not when he can opt out of his contract at the end of the year. Poreda for 1.5 months of Burnett is a horrendous deal.

The White Sox can claim Halladay before the Pirates. He wouldn't get to the White Sox though.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 01:50 PM)
Indians trade Paul Byrd to Red Sox

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

I am amazed teams below Boston didn't block it starting with New York

I am not sure, but I thought you only have som many claims that you are allowed to make? And besides, maybe they think Boston having Byrd will help THEM instead of Boston.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 02:01 PM)
I am not sure, but I thought you only have som many claims that you are allowed to make? And besides, maybe they think Boston having Byrd will help THEM instead of Boston.

I could have sworn that I read in previous years you were limited to so many claims per day. I know you can only "waive" 7 players a day, and I thought it was a part of the strategy to dump them out there in bunches to make sure that all of them couldn't be claimed, and to try to "protect" the guys you want to clear so that you can get something for them. I scoured Google eariler and couldn't find that bit of info. If anyone else knows where it is at, that would be great.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 02:08 PM)
Well there goes that idea.

Who else is out there possibly who can help us I wonder.

Hopefully something... i understand that Carrasco has showed some signs of pitching 4+ innings effectively but why take away from what has been the weakest part of the team in the 2nd half so far?? Im sure we are going to need Carrasco in the middle relief the rest of the way as Javy has been a mess lately. If anything it makes alittle more sense to have Broadway if anything in that 5th spot. I know he isn't much but at least he hast the experience down in the farm of going 6-7 innings / game.

Unfortanately Poreda thinks he isn't ready to make the quick jump to the big leagues, i would love to see his 97 mph heat come out of the pen. He's clearly our next best option. Maybe KW and Ozzie can talk to him and say "Listen i know its early in your career, and you feel like you need work, but there is no pressure for you to succeed now, just go out there and throw strikes..."

Until Linebrink comes back i think its best if this was our pitching order: Buerhle, Floyd, Danks, Vaz, Broadway

Bullpen: Jenks, Dotel, Poreda, Carrasco, Thorton, Wasserman, Russel

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 04:12 PM)
I'm going to love seeing the Sox hit against Freddy.

The Tigers very well may be 10+ games out by the time we play them next. I dont even think Freddy will be up in there rotation this year. That team is a mess. Now apparently Sheff wants out of Detroit and Leyland isn't pleased.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 04:16 PM)
The Tigers very well may be 10+ games out by the time we play them next. I dont even think Freddy will be up in there rotation this year. That team is a mess. Now apparently Sheff wants out of Detroit and Leyland isn't pleased.

Sheff b****es about everything. He is always such a little baby.

Sheffield Placed On Waivers

By Tim Dierkes [August 12 at 4:44pm CST]

According to ESPN's Jayson Stark, the Tigers placed Gary Sheffield on waivers today. Sheffield recently expressed displeasure with his playing time. The 39 year-old DH is hitting .219/.321/.371 in 278 plate appearances this year while dealing with oblique and shoulder woes. Peter Gammons recently wrote that the Tigers shopped Sheffield to the Rays but they had no interest.

Sheffield is owed an additional $3.8MM this year plus $14MM in '09. He also has a limited no-trade clause. His last good full month was July of '07. A waiver claim seems on Sheffield seems unlikely. If a contender needs a DH, why not pursue Aubrey Huff instead?

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 12, 2008 -> 05:18 AM)
Washburn isn't coming here.

Link

It sounds like Washburn isnt the guy, but KW is still looking for a guy. The fact that they haven't named a started for Thursday makes me believe they will make a deal.

I wonder if Byrd is the guy they are going after? He had a poor first half, but in the second half he is 4-0 with a 1.24 ERA.

Kenny's comments are kinda bulls***. He talks a good game about guys being fit for the Cell, but then brings in Floyd, who's no better a fit than Brandon McCarthy, who was supposedly sent out by Kenny because he didn't fit the ballpark. I like Floyd, by the way, but I'm referring more to Kenny's stated rationale. Same thing with Vazquez and Garland -- of those 2 guys, the one who has the repertoire better suited to the Cell is Garland. Javy throws meatball sliders that he cannot get down in the zone; Garland has a power sinker. But Vazquez gets extended and Garland is sent out. So I don't buy that ballpark bulls*** at all.

Washburn, Ibanez Claimed On Waivers

By Tim Dierkes [August 13 at 3:31pm CST]

According to Ken Rosenthal, Mariners players Jarrod Washburn and Raul Ibanez were claimed on waivers today. The Ms have until tomorrow afternoon to work out a deal with the claiming teams. Rosenthal says the Yankees did not claim Washburn.

At the least, the Mariners have a chance to unload Washburn's contract. Ibanez is inexpensive, so they'll want quality prospects in return.

The American League received first crack at the two Mariners, in the following order (omitting non-contenders):

Tigers

Rangers

Blue Jays

Yankees

Twins

White Sox

Red Sox

Rays

Angels

4:58pm: SI.com's Jon Heyman says the Twins won the Washburn claim and the Tigers won the Ibanez claim. Interesting on both fronts, but no deals were struck so both players will remain with the Mariners. Heyman says that while the Twins' Washburn claim had the flavor of a blocking move, the two teams did have trade discussions. There wasn't really anyone to block, unless the White Sox were lying about their lack of interest.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 06:30 PM)
Yet Williams is still a complete moron to some.....

That's not unusual...looks at startribune.com/sports or the Twins' boards after losses.

MANY of their fans feel the same way about Gardenhire and Bill Smith, despite their unprecedented level of success getting lemonade out of lemons. It kind of reminds me of Braves' and Yankees' fans, they're getting spoiled...combined with their lack of belief they can actually get somewhere in the playoffs and that ownership is cheap, cheap, cheap.

Well, the new stadium will bring up two interesting questions. Will the Twins' homefield advantage evaporate, and second, will the Pohlad family suck the profits out of the luxury suites and new revenue streams and not plug in an extra $20-30 million into the payroll?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 07:13 PM)
That's not unusual...looks at startribune.com/sports or the Twins' boards after losses.

MANY of their fans feel the same way about Gardenhire and Bill Smith, despite their unprecedented level of success getting lemonade out of lemons. It kind of reminds me of Braves' and Yankees' fans, they're getting spoiled...combined with their lack of belief they can actually get somewhere in the playoffs and that ownership is cheap, cheap, cheap.

Well, the new stadium will bring up two interesting questions. Will the Twins' homefield advantage evaporate, and second, will the Pohlad family suck the profits out of the luxury suites and new revenue streams and not plug in an extra $20-30 million into the payroll?

Twins fans have as much right to b**** as any fans in baseball outside of those in Florida and Pittsburgh. They've had so many chances to add a player or two to make them legit WS contenders yet they haven't done it. You can't compare Sox fans b****ing about JR not spending money and KW trading prospects to the plight of the Twins' fans, who had a GM that up until this past offseason would never trade anything decent to get a Major League player in his prime and who had/has an owner who won't pony up to add a significant piece through FA after making the playoffs.