8/17 Sox @ Oakland 3:05 pm CDT - CSN

knightni

The Twins' starters are wearing down, almost none of them are used to pitching 175-200 innings in a season consistently.

I really was looking forward to seeing Swisher try to get "revenge" on Gonzalez, lol. Scared with Griffey in that huge CF. Seems like an injury waiting to happen...he should at least know the outfield there, after playing so many games against OAK in the AL West.

Are the Red Sox coming back to the White Sox? I hate to think too much about the WC, but we have to consider the possibility...we're only 1 game back, 1/2 if we get the win today.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not on the Gio bandwagon like so many Soxtalkers were/are. I think he may do well, but there is no reason to think he is going to be an ace. His stuff isn't unbelievable, his control isn't impeccable. What is it that seems to project so well?

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 08:50 PM)
I'm not on the Gio bandwagon like so many Soxtalkers were/are. I think he may do well, but there is no reason to think he is going to be an ace. His stuff isn't unbelievable, his control isn't impeccable. What is it that seems to project so well?

Good curveball, but don't let Hawk fool you...he's not projected to be much more than a #4 or 5 starter.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 02:50 PM)

Well he is young and you really didn't get to see his curve and changeup which is plus-plus pitch and a plus-pitch, respectively. If he gets ahead in the count, he can be dominant. But his control will always keep him from being an ACE. But I don't think people on here thought he was an ACE, just a very good top of the rotation guy (a John Danks type, not Halliday). I was always high on him, but now I think he is a middle of the rotation guy.

Edited by maggsmaggs

Arnie Munoz also was "famous" in the Sox organization for having the "wipeout" curve. Sometimes I laugh, or Dewon Day's amazing slider...or Willie Harris is a miniature Ray Durham.

In this case, Gio is Barry Zito with a better fastball. Well, we shall see. He pitched very well his last time out. Also, there's a big difference pitching for the White Sox in the second half of 2007 versus 2008. I guess we will never know how Gio would have done in the heat of a pennant race, because it seems Oakland will be forever rebuilding and deconstructing.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 07:54 PM)
Arnie Munoz also was "famous" in the Sox organization for having the "wipeout" curve. Sometimes I laugh, or Dewon Day's amazing slider...or Willie Harris is a miniature Ray Durham.

In this case, Gio is Barry Zito with a better fastball. Well, we shall see. He pitched very well his last time out. Also, there's a big difference pitching for the White Sox in the second half of 2007 versus 2008. I guess we will never know how Gio would have done in the heat of a pennant race, because it seems Oakland will be forever rebuilding and deconstructing.

Dewon Day's slider might be the most overrated pitch in the history of baseball.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 02:54 PM)

I remember how excited I was for Munoz, especially after his AA season where he had like 15Ks/9 inn. He blew and that Montreal game was epic for how bad he was and how we almost came back.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 07:54 PM)

I remember Sports Illustrated saying that Munoz was the talk of Winter League with his Zito-esque curve.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 01:53 PM)
Well he is young and you really didn't get to see his curve and changeup which is plus-plus pitch and a plus-pitch, respectively. If he gets ahead in the count, he can be dominant. But his control will always keep him from being an ACE. But I don't think people on here thought he was an ACE, just a very good top of the rotation guy (a John Danks type, not Halliday). I was always high on him, but now I think he is a middle of the rotation guy.

That's pretty much what I saw him as with a bit more K's.