Sarah Palin

YASNY

After a brief email exchange with Rex, who closed the original thread after McCain named Palin his running mate, I'm going to bring this subject back into the open for discussion. Maintain civility or this thread will suffer the same fate as the last one.

Her speech is scheduled for Wednesday night, so this should be an open topic again.

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good game plan, poor execution. Condi would have been game.set.match. This also takes the experience attack out of McCain's quiver. I like the idea of a fresh, young face, and the opportunity to break a barrier. But at McCain's age the VP is probably worth a little more scrutiny then Obama's pick. And frankly we have Odd Couple ! running against Odd Couple II.

I really don't like either candidate's choice so I'm still leaning towards McCain.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 11:11 PM)
Her speech is scheduled for Wednesday night, so this should be an open topic again.

Is everybody convinced she'll make it to Wednesday night?

If the very interesting McCain camp strategy of "Announce First, Vet Later" ends up turning up enough that Palin becomes radioactive, I assume they will get her to bow out gracefully, citing her parental demands and the desire to stay in Alaska, etc. After she formally accepts on Wednesday, it will take an RNC committee vote to get her off the ticket.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 10:35 PM)
Is everybody convinced she'll make it to Wednesday night?

If the very interesting McCain camp strategy of "Announce First, Vet Later" ends up turning up enough that Palin becomes radioactive, I assume they will get her to bow out gracefully, citing her parental demands and the desire to stay in Alaska, etc. After she formally accepts on Wednesday, it will take an RNC committee vote to get her off the ticket.

Ya know... i got to thinking this afternoon. And too be fair to Palin, the fact that she is literally a politically nobody, all this stuff about her is being dumped on America all at once. It's a huge download. Let's put the shoe on the other foot. Imagine if all of Obama's "issues" were downloaded on America in the course of 4 days. He'd be sunk. Some of her stuff isnt horrible, but it fits perfectly into the "she's not experienced" narrative very easily.

I have one thing to say, if anyone tries to make a point against her using Bristol as their example, I'm going to punch my monitor. So what if her daughter is preganant, guess what, she's a teenager! It'd be one thing if her daughter was going to get an abortion, but she isn't. Teenagers do stupid things about 90% of the time. Hell, when I'm done with this post I'll probably do some dumbass thing.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 11:41 PM)
I have one thing to say, if anyone tries to make a point against her using Bristol as their example, I'm going to punch my monitor. So what if her daughter is preganant, guess what, she's a teenager! It'd be one thing if her daughter was going to get an abortion, but she isn't. Teenagers do stupid things about 90% of the time. Hell, when I'm done with this post I'll probably do some dumbass thing.

I think its worth noting that I haven;t seen a single poster here do that.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 11:41 PM)

Why would anyone care if her daughter was getting an abortion? And not all teenagers get pregnant. Not even the majority.

Palin wasn't thoroughly interviewed until the day before she was offered the VP:

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin was not subjected to a lengthy in-person background interview with the head of Sen. John McCain's vice presidential vetting team until last Wednesday in Arizona, the day before McCain asked her to be his running mate, and she did not disclose the fact that her 17-year-old daughter was pregnant until that meeting, two knowledgeable McCain officials acknowledged Tuesday.

Am I hearing things, or when Obama and company talk about Palin, they refer to her as the mayor of a small town? Why do they keep ignoring that she was governor of a state, with a budget of like $4 billion? I know his campaign has raised alot of money, but not THAt much.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 09:39 AM)
Am I hearing things, or when Obama and company talk about Palin, they refer to her as the mayor of a small town? Why do they keep ignoring that she was governor of a state, with a budget of like $4 billion? I know his campaign has raised alot of money, but not THAt much.

The entire population of Alaska is comparable to a slightly larger than medium sized city.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 09:43 AM)
The entire population of Alaska is comparable to a slightly larger than medium sized city.

If Alaska were a city, it would rank 17th in the nation.

So, by extrapolation, there are 16 mayors and 46 governors more qualified to be VP, including McCain's second choice Tim Pawlenty (5+ years as Gov of Minnesota).

Clearly Palin was a political stunt.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

Palin and Her Supporters Ignore Facts About Aerial Wolf Hunting

Letters / Anchorage Daily News / October 16, 2006

A recent letter from the McMurroughs of Moose Pass applauded Sarah Palin's pro-aerial killing stance with astoundingly misguided reasoning ("Palin's stand on killing wolves will win a lot of votes if she holds to it," Sept. 28).

That Alaska employs professional biologists doesn't mean it uses them or their data properly. The 77 pages of corrections forced from the Board of Game included much concerning their misuse and ignorance of data. With a governor who owes a political debt to extremists like the Alaska Outdoor Council and appoints a Fish and Game commissioner who serves at his whim, the pressure from above can produce results not in keeping with good science.

The McMurroughs' remark about outsiders indicates how out of touch they are with the fact that 83 percent of Alaskans polled oppose aerial hunting. They ignore two statewide votes banning the practice. And they neglect surveys showing 71 percent of Alaska hunters also disapprove. The McMurroughs seem unaware that two groups of Alaska hunters and trappers are working to abolish aerial hunting. Like Palin, the McMurroughs choose to be blind to what a very large majority of Alaskans are saying.

Finally, their statement that our wolves will never be endangered shows how little they understand history. Wolves and grizzlies were virtually exterminated across our nation, and millions of buffalo were reduced to a few thousand. When you have snow machines, aerial gunners and harvest seasons extending into birthing period, extinction becomes a very real possibility.

---- Martin Haley / Anchorage

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 10:47 AM)
If Alaska were a city, it would rank 17th in the nation.

So, by extrapolation, there are 16 mayors and 46 governors more qualified to be VP.

In this case though, most of them were missing the most important qualification: a vagina.

Of course it's a political stunt.

WOW! Sounds more Bushian every day....

Palin Wants Independent Trooper-Gate Probe Called Off

In the latest sign that Sarah Palin's promised cooperation with the Trooper-Gate investigation is failing to materialize, her lawyer is now demanding that the entire case be taken out of the hands of the independent prosecutor hired by Alaska lawmakers, and given over to a state personnel board -- whose three members were appointed by the governor herself.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:31 AM)
Careful there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:34 AM)
Wow, that is really lowball stuff there.

I'm not sure what line I'm crossing. Mrs. 18-Million Cracks in the Glass Ceiling has only one unique qualification distinguishing her from other potentials - her gender. She was picked to try to tap any would-be Hillary Clinton voters who were planning to vote for her solely because she is a woman.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 09:43 AM)
I'm not sure what line I'm crossing. Mrs. 18-Million Cracks in the Glass Ceiling has only one unique qualification distinguishing her from other potentials - her gender. She was picked to try to tap any would-be Hillary Clinton voters who were planning to vote for her solely because she is a woman.

I took issue not with the idea that she was chosen because she was female - which is probably in part true - but the WAY you said it.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 03:17 PM)
In this case though, most of them were missing the most important qualification: a vagina.

Of course it's a political stunt.

there is no doubt in my mind that it is. which doesn't bother me that much. but to go with a stunt at this level is embarassing. Kay Bailey Hutchinson, Carly Fiorina, Meg Whittman, Susan Collins, etc.....