Carlos Quentin has a broken wrist

Steve9347

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 04:43 PM)
Don't speculate. Just believe the Sox are just being cautious before making a formal statement. I think Joe C probbaly has a good in on stuff inside the clubhouse. Maybe you want us to see what Mariotti has to say?

Cowley's now hearing nothing about it, which is not good news for us. Maybe that person on Reifert's blog was correct all along, and CQ's out 4 weeks with a fracture.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 11:44 AM)
Cowley's now hearing nothing about it, which is not good news for us. Maybe that person on Reifert's blog was correct all along, and CQ's out 4 weeks with a fracture.

Exactly. If it were good news, the Sox would have damn sure had it out immediately. Bad news takes a little longer to spin.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 10:46 AM)
Exactly. If it were good news, the Sox would have damn sure had it out immediately. Bad news takes a little longer to spin.

True, but there are also gradations of bad news which could mean he's out a week and they want to phrase it properly.

Lou looked like an idiot last week when talking about Harden , being coy - and they dont want to mirror that.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 11:41 AM)
The thing that really hurts is that Cowley was the one who was positive about all this, and he was just on the Score talking about how he isnt hearing anything....

Cowley seems to be way more out of the loop than what he seems to lead on... this wouldn't be the first time he jumped to a conclusion this year that didn't turn out the opposite way, for better or worse. That being said, you have a point, everything in the Chicago media has been focusing in on Zambrano's injury with very little to no mention of CQ's injury this week. Even Silvy (not a good reference I know) was under the impression this morning that the Sox were just giving Q a break for a couple days.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 11:51 AM)
BREAKING NEWS FROM THE SCORE

Jesse Rogers says wrist injury is severe and there is a fracture possibility. He's more than likely out for the rest of the regular season.

DAMN!! Lets just hope its not a fracture. If it is he wont play in the playoffs (if we make it). If its just a severe bruise or sprain or whatever, i garuntee you he will be ready to go for the playoffs. Tampa has survived without Crawford/Longoria for a good chunk of the season, were going to have to do the same with out our best player.

Brian Anderson- get ready! Ken Griffey- get ready! Its up to you guys if we make it.

If Quentin's wrist is indeed broken, then this season will end up being his career year, unfortunately for him and the Sox. Using an analogy from the other side of town, Derrek Lee's power disappeared after he broke his wrist, and I would expect the same for Quentin. He might never hit 30 HR again, he'll probably end up being a doubles hitter with about 15-20 HR/season, which really sucks.

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 06:01 PM)
If Quentin's wrist is indeed broken, then this season will end up being his career year, unfortunately for him and the Sox. Using an analogy from the other side of town, Derrek Lee's power disappeared after he broke his wrist, and I would expect the same for Quentin. He might never hit 30 HR again, he'll probably end up being a doubles hitter with about 15-20 HR/season, which really sucks.

Too early to even speculate his career will go the way of D. Lee's. I broke my wrist in high school, and had no problem regaining strength in it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 10:00 AM)
So what's the long-term prognosis for a fractured wrist?

well, know this - it obviously wasn't picked up on x-ray, which means the fracture must be slight if it is indeed a fracture. They could only see it on MRI. And it appears that he was able to swing a bat and throw a ball with the injury, so it could be a 4-6 week thing where he stabilizes it in a cast.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 05:03 PM)
well, know this - it obviously wasn't picked up on x-ray, which means the fracture must be slight if it is indeed a fracture. They could only see it on MRI. And it appears that he was able to swing a bat and throw a ball with the injury, so it could be a 4-6 week thing where he stabilizes it in a cast.

Well said