Fuentes, Brian 77 17 81.91% 4.53

Isringhausen, Jason 77 19 80.21% 4.05

Cordero, Francisco 97 24 80.17% 4.04

Street, Huston 71 23 75.53% 3.09

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 01:50 PM)
How'd the Cubs do in the run where Wood was down? How good are the mets doing now with no Wagner? Hence the "Doing/did" part.

People say "Hey we can get 2 top prospects!!!!" Well great, we can have a stud starting 5 rotation, then hand the ball to Ryan Buckvich and Mike Mcdoofus for the 7-9. I'm sure that would work out well.

Who would honestly put Bukvich or McDougal in the closer's role? You are exaggerating and it's ruining any point you may have had. It's not like trading one reliever for two stud prospects is going to suddenly leave you without any arms in the bullpen. In that scenario, Thornton becomes the closer, and I would have no problem with that so long as the Sox got a fantastic return for Jenks.

And I think anyone who would turn down 2 fantastic prospects for Bobby Jenks is fooling themselves.

Finally, the Tigers and Indians didn't lose this year because they didn't have a closer; they have lost because of a s***ty offense in Cleveland's case, a s***ty rotation in Detroit's case, and overall s***ty bullpens for both of them. You can try and blame it on their lack of a closer, but that's short-sighted as hell.

I'd be all for trading Jenks, especially if we can get the type of package the Rangers got for Urbina a couple years ago.

I know Jenks is a fan favorite around here, but face the facts people, Jenks is not the same pitcher he was in 05 and 06. Unless you have some of the nastiest breaking stuff in the league (which he doesn't), a straight as an arrow low-mid 90's fastball will not get the job done. I'm still wondering how he has an ERA under 4 this year.

Plus, there's those health concerns with him and the fact he has a screw in his elbow. I wouldn't invest any type of big money on him.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 02:51 AM)
I know Jenks is a fan favorite around here, but face the facts people, Jenks is not the same pitcher he was in 05 and 06.

Correct. He is much, much better now.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 02:51 AM)
I'm still wondering how he has an ERA under 4 this year.

It's because he's a great ****ing pitcher

It's almost to the point of concern that some people cannot(or refuse to?) grasp that Jenks is a top of the line talent. Apparently it'll even take more than 1.5 perfect games worth of outs to prove that he is. Seriously, what does he have to do at this point?

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 09:18 PM)
Correct. He is much, much better now.

It's because he's a great ****ing pitcher

It's almost to the point of concern that some people cannot(or refuse to?) grasp that Jenks is a top of the line talent. Apparently it'll even take more than 1.5 perfect games worth of outs to prove that he is. Seriously, what does he have to do at this point?

No, he's not better now. That is freaking crazy to say. The guy can't strike anyone out anymore, and I would love to see a stat for this year showing how many times he allowed the tying run to come up to the plate in a save situation, compared to other closers around the league. I don't know if they have a stat like that, but I would love to see it.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 10:34 PM)
2005- 2006: 3.55 ERA, 1.34 WHIP, 47/53(87%) on saves

2007-2008: 2.70 ERA, 0.92 WHIP, 68/77(88%) on saves.

Freaking crazy, I tell ya.

but...but...but....he's had like, 2 bad games in a row!!!!!!! We NEED to trade him now!!!!

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 11:34 PM)
2005- 2006: 3.55 ERA, 1.34 WHIP, 47/53(87%) on saves

2007-2008: 2.70 ERA, 0.92 WHIP, 68/77(88%) on saves.

Freaking crazy, I tell ya.

stats are overrated. He's gotten guys out, but he has been extremely lucky this year. Eventually, those linedrives hit straight at defenders will start to fall.

Edited by BearSox

I'd definitely listen to offers on Bobby if we could get something amazing, but that's pretty unlikely. We could get some great prospects I'm sure, but the teams willing to trade the kind of prospects that Bobby would cost probably aren't going to be willing to trade the Major League players we want.

Now if some three-way deal came along where some small market team gave us a great player, with a large market team taking Bobby and sending their 'spects to the small market team, that would be something to think about.

However, trading Bobby is very unlikely. I want to see the Sox use some of this money coming off the books on Juan Cruz to solidify the front of our bullpen and also give us an option for the late innings when the other guys hit rough patches. Then I want to see the Sox throw out minor league deals to guys like David Weathers and Ron Villone from the left side if they don't get contract offers. Also, if the Sox want to open up CF for a player that can play defense, they're going to have to deal one of Paulie/Swisher/Dye/Thome, and if they do that then I'd like to see a Major League reliever coming back as part of the package, preferably a lefty.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (BearSox @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 09:51 PM)
I'd be all for trading Jenks, especially if we can get the type of package the Rangers got for Urbina a couple years ago.

I know Jenks is a fan favorite around here, but face the facts people, Jenks is not the same pitcher he was in 05 and 06. Unless you have some of the nastiest breaking stuff in the league (which he doesn't), a straight as an arrow low-mid 90's fastball will not get the job done. I'm still wondering how he has an ERA under 4 this year.

Plus, there's those health concerns with him and the fact he has a screw in his elbow. I wouldn't invest any type of big money on him.

Two things:

1) Bobby is better than he was 2 years ago... there's no question that Jenks is one of the best closers in the game.

2) I'd still have no problem trading him for the right package.