Endorsement Thread

kapkomet

Ok, I'll throw this out there, but here's the ground rules.

We all pretty much know what candidates everyone here supports, right?

But here's what I'd like to see that's a little different (maybe)...

Endorse your candidate. Type a paragraph or two as to why your candidate will be the best President.

But please, don't make it about the other guy... make it about your guy, and why he's better in well, thought out information.

Let's see what we get here...

I believe that Barack Obama best represents my interests as an American. Although he is not a true supporter of marriage equality, he is miles ahead of most other politicians in this regard, at least offering many of the same rights and responsibilities to same sex couples as current married couples. I also, have come to believe that Senator Obama will act in a level headed way and make responsible decisions when it comes to issues of foreign affairs, primarily by using diplomacy first and foremost when acting with other state actors, and doing what's necessary to keep America safe when fighting against hostile rogue actors (terrorist organizations.) I believe that Barack Obama will take steps to bring us back to a situation where respect for the law is something shared by both the people and government, although I don't think that he will take all the steps necessary in the end. I believe that Obama will be a flexible leader and willing to work with both sides of the aisle to get things accomplished. To me, Obama's candidacy represents giving Americans a seat at the table again when it comes to issues that concern us. And that's a value we haven't seen in decades.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 08:04 AM)
I believe that Barack Obama best represents my interests as an American. Although he is not a true supporter of marriage equality, he is miles ahead of most other politicians in this regard, at least offering many of the same rights and responsibilities to same sex couples as current married couples. I also, have come to believe that Senator Obama will act in a level headed way and make responsible decisions when it comes to issues of foreign affairs, primarily by using diplomacy first and foremost when acting with other state actors, and doing what's necessary to keep America safe when fighting against hostile rogue actors (terrorist organizations.) I believe that Barack Obama will take steps to bring us back to a situation where respect for the law is something shared by both the people and government, although I don't think that he will take all the steps necessary in the end. I believe that Obama will be a flexible leader and willing to work with both sides of the aisle to get things accomplished. To me, Obama's candidacy represents giving Americans a seat at the table again when it comes to issues that concern us. And that's a value we haven't seen in decades.

Plus he looks snappy in that jacket.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 11:08 AM)
Plus he looks snappy in that jacket.

I went and saw him at a rally and he was all like

Mother, mother

There's too many of you crying

Brother, brother, brother

There's far too many of you dying

You know we've got to find a way

To bring some lovin' here today - Ya

Father, father

We don't need to escalate

You see, war is not the answer

For only love can conquer hate

You know we've got to find a way

To bring some lovin' here today

Picket lines and picket signs

Don't punish me with brutality

Talk to me, so you can see

Oh, what's going on

What's going on

Ya, what's going on

Ah, what's going on

I will be voting for Barack Obama for President of the United States.

I was on the fence for a while - both candidates have major policy stands I disagree with. While I truly believe that this is the best pair of candidates I've ever had to choose from, that doesn't mean it was an easy decision. I'll highlight three issues of great importance to me to illustrate my thinking...

Issue 1 - financial and intergovernmental policy. In reality, neither candidate has a full policy set here that I agree with. But McCain is closer to what I'd like to see. Obama's tax policy ideas take progressive to a level far too high, and the increased taxations he suggests (his income tax rebalancing, profit penalty taxes and increases on cap gains rates) will only serve to harm the already-weak economy. I see a lot of danger in some of his suggestions. McCain's idea of relabalancing away from progressive isn't great either, but he's at least staying away from increasing cap gains and corporate taxes. McCain gets the win here by a significant, but not huge, amount.

Issue 2 - the environment and energy policy. I applaud McCain's departure from the small-minded GOP platform on environmental and energy policy. But Obama's themes are much stronger, and will more substantially help not only our environment, but our national security, our economy and our health care costs. Obama sees alternative energy as the next moon shot, and I wholeheartedly agree. His support of non-fossil fuel energies, increased funding of mass transit and other key policies give Obama a big edge here.

Issue 3 - leadership. This is a tough call. John McCain is a patriot and a civil servant at a level that few others can match, and his military and political contributions are a solid match for the Presidency. But if I had to pick the biggest overarching leadership style characteristics of the Bush Administration, they would be these: complete lack of desire to respectfully collaborate, the cowardly choice of the illusion of security over Constitutional freedoms, and decisionmaking without analysis or forethought. The first item, respectful collabortion, I'd call a split between these two; McCain has a greater history than Obama of "reaching across the aisle", but Obama is stronger in promoting respectful dialogue. The second item, fortunately, shows us two candidates who would be great improvements over the current corruption of the system - I'd give it a slight edge to McCain. McCain's stand against torture and his proven allegiance to the great American system give him strength here, and while Obama is certainly a great believer in freedoms, he also went backwards on the telecom vote. The final item, decisionmaking style, is an obvious win for Obama. McCain has shown recently a disturbing tendency to make flailing decisions off the cuff, whereas Obama has proven that his a considered man with a gift for high level analysis and open forum discussions.

So all told, Issue 1 is a slight win for McCain, Issue 2 is a big win for Obama, and Issue three is a slight win for Obama. That gives it to Obama, for me.