Witness to Jonestown

bmags

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 9, 2008 -> 09:19 PM)
Anyone watching this?

No, but I'll check it out later. It's on MSNBC for anything else interested.

It's an interesting story, though. Many people associate Jonestown with the images of the helicopter flying over the mass suicide/murder, but the image that comes to my mind is when Jim Jones sent armed groups to kill reporters from NBC as they were leaving the airport. Very unsettling video.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

I was hoping to get a little more insight into the drug use and loss of reality of Jim Jones at the time and they kind of touched on it, but before all I knew of was on wiki, and this was pretty good. It was very unsettling, though, for sure. Scenes from a nightmare.

I caught this yesterday and was floored to think this was all 30 years ago. I was 11 when it happened and I think it was really my first exposure as a kid to something truly horrific on such a large scale.

Watching the show, some of the most amazing artifacts to me were the audio segments of Jones' daily drugged up loudspeaker ramblings and some of the candid audio of him and the inner circle as the final hours were unfolding and everything was falling apart for him.

Very unsettling even after all this time.

I have to say, one thing I thought wasn't as well done, was they didn't make it quite clear how the mass death was always done. To me, at first they made it seem like everyone voluntarily picked up the cyanide. Then, to wrap up, in one sentence they were like, kids and elderly were injected and all this stuff, and I was like, wait, what? What a disaster.

I honestly had no idea prior to viewing this special that there were additional victims outside of Jonestown, in Georgetown, when a mother heard a radio transmission sent from the camp and murdered several of her children with a knife, before herself and her oldest daugher killed themselves.

Also, a bit off topic but similar on the discussion of terrible acts, while browsing through information on Jonestown there was a link I followed that had information about the Tylenol murders. I had previously been unware that it occured around suburban Chicago. Just reading through the story made me never want to pick up an Extra Strength Tylenol again.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 08:30 PM)
there was a link I followed that had information about the Tylenol murders. I had previously been unware that it occured around suburban Chicago. Just reading through the story made me never want to pick up an Extra Strength Tylenol again.

I was just talking with someone about all the product anti-tampering packaging and remembering how you could just open anything. We all take it for granted now. I do wonder who did it and why.