Sox still interested in Willy Taveras

beck72

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 11:09 AM)
Luckily for Red Sox fans Theo Epstein would probably disagree with you. A few things. One, often times it's easy to peg the superstar players in any sport, I don't discount the eye test. Two, the Twins obviously weren't overwhelmed by David Ortiz even though he was growing as a player every year and those whacky stats would have told you that.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/o/ortizda01.shtml

Taveras does not fit into any of the categories of players you listed, he's not a superstar and at best he would be a role player who sometimes you need to compare him with similar players, which stats help one to do.

You seem like someone who also believes in "hard nose football" and "Bears Weather!!"

The Ortiz decision was made because they had too many players at about the same time increasing in salary, and there were concerns in MIN about his work ethic and growing/expanding girth. Obviously they were wrong about him, Thank God.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KevinM @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 08:41 AM)
Getz.

Getz/Lillibridge, depending on who shows up in ST?

It's not Grady Sizemore good, but I'm not sure it's worse than giving up anything of value for Taveras. Both of them have decent speed, can steal a couple tens of bases, and at least in the minors have put up solid OBP totals (except for BL last year, where he hit .220 in a horrid year)

Well, I don't think Hawk will be forgetting to fawn over Carlos Gomez when we're playing the Twins if Getz or Lillibridge are our leadoff hitters for significant chunks of 2009.

I don't think anyone can mention those names with 100% confidence...it's like a dart you throw at the wall and hope will stick, like batting Swisher there.

Getz, from everything I've read, is the perfect 2 hitter, just like Cabrera would/could have been had we other options at leadoff.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 02:06 PM)
Getz, from everything I've read, is the perfect 2 hitter, just like Cabrera would/could have been had we other options at leadoff.

He is...awesome eye, tough to strike out, understands the strike zone, some speed, good handle of the bat...not much pop, but not totally punch and judy either.

Getz is a nice player...will he make it all the way to the starting 9? Hard to say right now.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 01:13 PM)
He is...awesome eye, tough to strike out, understands the strike zone, some speed, good handle of the bat...not much pop, but not totally punch and judy either.

Getz is a nice player...will he make it all the way to the starting 9? Hard to say right now.

Getz and Taveras are separated by only 10 points in their career minor league OBP's and OPS numbers.

So their minor league numbers are almost identical in many respects. That's the reason most see Getz as a utility player and not as a starter...the same reason people would prefer Taveras for a 4th OF and pinch runner.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 06:06 PM)
Well, I don't think Hawk will be forgetting to fawn over Carlos Gomez when we're playing the Twins if Getz or Lillibridge are our leadoff hitters for significant chunks of 2009.

I don't think anyone can mention those names with 100% confidence...it's like a dart you throw at the wall and hope will stick, like batting Swisher there.

Actually Gomez was a pretty brutal leadoff guy... that's why he batted 9th and Denard Span lead off.

Gomez played like Rickey against us, but we fed him a steady diet of fastballs. He had a sub .300 OBP and struck out 142 times because every other team in the majors realized he couldn't touch a breaking ball.