Bonds

Big Irish

Michelle is right.  They don't owe anything.  They are paid for what they do.  Now the guys that go above and beyond are obviously more liked and are typically my favorites, but as long as they do the job in the regular season, play hard and help the team win (While staying out of legal trouble) then I'm happy. 

How many movie stars sign a bunch of autographs, etc? 

I really don't know so if someone tells me they sign a whole lot more then baseball players then my bad. 

Also from my experiences at spring training and such, I've noticed that more often then not the players are very friendly and always willing to sign. 

And for that I give MLB players a lot of credit.

Sorry Michelle and Jason, but you are way off here.......

The players SHOULD want to be honored to play in this game. It SHOULD mean something to them. Do they have a legal obligation to play? No

But you have to be kidding me thinking that a guy wanting an extra 3 days off rather than playing in a showcase that is 70 years old is okay. Family illness, I understand. But just not playing because someone doesn't want to or they are not legally obligated, is ridiculous.

The players very much DO owe themselves and the game of baseball the courtesy of not being so damned selfish. Guys like Curt Flood fought in court to get them the money they make now. The players in the past were on year to year contracts and often got decreases if their numbers went down at all. Now, players want guaranteed contracts for MILLIONS of dollars. HELL YES, they owe the game, they owe the players from the past who made this game what it is today, and they owe themselves to do the right thing.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with their travel schedules maybe this is important to them??? they do have other things in their lives to attend to and being away from home alot makes that pretty hard.......the point is this game doesnt hold the luster it once did.....and you can blame alot of things on that..........

Including the very reasons you just gave.

Guest hotsoxchick1

they do not owe the fans anything.......that was what that whole thing was about in the first place with my comments to clujo...........fans choose to be part of the game.. no one forces them to.....players choose to play the game for whatever reasons..... but i dont see how they OWE anyone anything..........its their choice alone...........they play their regular season to their full abilities and meet their contracts with their bosses...this game has been a farce for many years now.....another ploy to drain fan money from pockets.....nothing more .........if it had mattered so much it would be part of the regular 162 games.............and stipulated in the players contracts that it is a MUST they show if picked..........mho..........do you turn down over time? or do you say i owe it to my boss to stay....it just depends on a persons needs and wants... if bonds doesnt need to be in the game to feel fullfilled or doesnt want to be there thats his decision and i cant dis on him for it.........

Guest hotsoxchick1
with their travel schedules maybe this is important to them??? they do have other things in their lives to attend to and being away from home alot makes that pretty hard.......the point is this game doesnt hold the luster it once did.....and you can blame alot of things on that..........

Including the very reasons you just gave.

yeah well i would lean more twards greed on the commishs part and the fact that the owners hand out outragous salaries (ie. arod) and they use this exhibition game as another way to fleece the fans pockets.... mho......

they do not owe the fans anything.......that was what that whole thing was about in the first place with my comments to clujo...........fans choose to be part of the game.. no one forces them to.....players choose to play the game for whatever reasons..... but i dont see how they OWE anyone anything..........its their choice alone...........they play their regular season to their full abilities and meet their contracts with their bosses...this game has been a farce for many years now.....another ploy to drain fan money from pockets.....nothing more .........if it had mattered so much it would be part of the regular 162 games.............and stipulated in the players contracts that it is a MUST they show if picked..........mho..........do you turn down over time? or do you say i owe it to my boss to stay....it just depends on a persons needs and wants... if bonds doesnt need to be in the game to feel fullfilled or doesnt want to be there thats his decision and i cant dis on him for it.........

You have a very shallow view of the game of baseball and its history. Actually, you sound like an agent trying to justify getting $150 million for your star player.

Take the blinders off and see the big picture. It is really a nice one if it doesn't hasn't already been destroyed by such narrow thinking!

if the guy does not want to play, he should not have to. there is nothing in his contract obligating him to go to the all-star game if selected.

that said, you would like to think these guys give a s*** about the fans.... but thats not realistic. they have not for a while. :angry:

if the guy does not want to play, he should not have to. there is nothing in his contract obligating him to go to the all-star game if selected.

that said, you would like to think these guys give a s*** about the fans.... but thats not realistic. they have not for a while. :angry:

So now the part of the game that is very wrong, is okay, just because it has existed for a while?

Guest hotsoxchick1
You have a very shallow view of the game of baseball and its history.  Actually, you sound like an agent trying to justify getting $150 million for your star player. 

Take the blinders off and see the big picture.  It is really a nice one if it doesn't hasn't already been destroyed by such narrow thinking!

this comment has nothing to do with the history of the game.........what part of it didnt you understand it was a comment in retort to clujos comment........you can thank corp greed and the commish and owners for the way the game has been run into the ground... that blame does not fall on the fans or the players...........espically when they dont make the decisions on how things are run.........

Michelle is right.  They don't owe anything.  They are paid for what they do.  Now the guys that go above and beyond are obviously more liked and are typically my favorites, but as long as they do the job in the regular season, play hard and help the team win (While staying out of legal trouble) then I'm happy. 

How many movie stars sign a bunch of autographs, etc? 

I really don't know so if someone tells me they sign a whole lot more then baseball players then my bad. 

Also from my experiences at spring training and such, I've noticed that more often then not the players are very friendly and always willing to sign. 

And for that I give MLB players a lot of credit.

Sorry Michelle and Jason, but you are way off here.......

The players SHOULD want to be honored to play in this game. It SHOULD mean something to them. Do they have a legal obligation to play? No

But you have to be kidding me thinking that a guy wanting an extra 3 days off rather than playing in a showcase that is 70 years old is okay. Family illness, I understand. But just not playing because someone doesn't want to or they are not legally obligated, is ridiculous.

The players very much DO owe themselves and the game of baseball the courtesy of not being so damned selfish. Guys like Curt Flood fought in court to get them the money they make now. The players in the past were on year to year contracts and often got decreases if their numbers went down at all. Now, players want guaranteed contracts for MILLIONS of dollars. HELL YES, they owe the game, they owe the players from the past who made this game what it is today, and they owe themselves to do the right thing.

Rex, I agree 100% that they should be there. I'm just saying there is nothing forcing them in the contract and that if a player doesn't want to then thats perogative. I think the All Star Game shoudl be an honor and the players should be there.

It meant a lot more back in the days because the bonuses actually meant something, although Prior got like a 1.5 mill bonus for making the game, which I'm sure meant something to him.

If it were me in this situation I'd definately be playing because it means your one of the very best, plus from the looks of it the players have a ton of fun just joking around with the other players and fans.

You have a very shallow view of the game of baseball and its history.  Actually, you sound like an agent trying to justify getting $150 million for your star player. 

Take the blinders off and see the big picture.  It is really a nice one if it doesn't hasn't already been destroyed by such narrow thinking!

Michelle, if the playesr were smart they would owe the money to the game. And without the fans they wouldn't get the salaries they get.

Just like without people wanting to go on the internet, the internet companies (Ya Bad example) wouldn't get the money they get.

Guest hotsoxchick1

Michelle, if the playesr were smart they would owe the money to the game. And without the fans they wouldn't get the salaries they get.

Just like without people wanting to go on the internet, the internet companies (Ya Bad example) wouldn't get the money they get.

jas as i said before .... no one forces the fans to go........... ;) its all a matter of choices.............

you can thank corp greed and the commish and owners for the way the game has been run into the ground..

Exactly how have they run the All-Star Game into the ground?? Other than perhaps the argument that Interleague play has taken away from it?

What specific things have they done to ruin the All-Star Game?

jas as i said before .... no one forces the fans to go........... ;) its all a matter of choices.............

You're right, no one forces the fans to go. But the players don't live the lives they do without them. So to act as if the fans don't matter is extrememly narrow minded.

Guest hotsoxchick1

You're right, no one forces the fans to go. But the players don't live the lives they do without them. So to act as if the fans don't matter is extrememly narrow minded.

and where did i say the fans dont matter......i said that they are not owed anything .. choices in life my friend.... it all comes down to the choices we make...........i dont expect a win each and every time i go to a game.. .no matter how nice it would be.. .they dont guarentee me one with my season ticket package... i choose to keep the package because i like to go to the park and the games.....but i have no expatations except for seeing a complete game when i am there.........everything else is a bonus..........

and where did i say the fans dont matter......i said that they are not owed anything .. choices in life my friend.... it all comes down to the choices we make...........i dont expect a win each and every time i go to a game.. .no matter how nice it would be.. .they dont guarentee me one with my season ticket package... i choose to keep the package because i like to go to the park and the games.....but i have no expatations except for seeing a complete game when i am there.........everything else is a bonus..........

You aren't even getting the point.... I'm done with this.

Guest hotsoxchick1

You aren't even getting the point.... I'm done with this.

neither are you.........

No, this is about giving back to the fans, it has nothing to do with representing the Giants. The fans deserve to watch one of the best hitters participate in the home run derby. Hell, they voted him into the damn all star game to begin with!

Right.. they voted him onto the AS Team and he'll be there to play tonight. NO ONE voted him to participate in the derby.

his only DUTY is to perform for his team.. the guys who pay  him.... he has no duty to go to any all star game if he so chooses not to...........

Oh thank you Michelle... You said it way nicer then I was going to. HE "owes" it to the fans. ROTFLMAO!!

So the game gives them nothing??

This is ridiculous...

It gives them a chance to play a kids game a make a lot of money. Otherwise they'd be mechanics, lawyers, doctors, etc, etc..

What they give is money hungry power trip idiots millions of dollars. Who gets the better end of the deal? MLB and the owners make a LOT more then the players. And the players that do make millions are OFFERED that money. No one forces owners to pay it. But the fact is that without the players, there would be NO MLB.

It gives them a chance to play a kids game a make a lot of money. Otherwise they'd be mechanics, lawyers, doctors, etc, etc..

And convenience store workers, and construction workers and poverty in general for most any Latin player.

The game is by no means one sided. Both the players and the owners get as well as give. But they both owe it to the game that gives them their livelihood to make the game as good as it can be. Selfish attitudes don't make things better.