creating and running a website like this one

BainesHOF

I think I have a good idea for a website that I want to loosely look like this one. (FYI, my idea has nothing to do with the Sox, baseball or sports.) I know a lot about visiting and posting on sites, but I don't know much about what it takes to run one so I have a few general questions:

- How much does it cost a month to run this site?

- Is there a particular software program that I can buy to create a site like this that looks this good?

- What's the best stategy to edit posts to keep them free from spam, profanity, racists comments, etc.?

- What's the best way to handle legal issues associated with running a site when you're on a budget?

- What's the best way to keep a site securely protected from hackers, viruses, etc.?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jason (chisoxfn) or kapkomet could probably answer most of these questions, but a lot of it comes down to, at least when the site gets bigger, being able to trust a group of people to help run the site for you. People that know their stuff.

A lot of it is also going to come down to experimentation. This skin came from fiddling with CSS (which I had no idea about).

QUOTE (BainesHOF @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 03:43 PM)
I think I have a good idea for a website that I want to loosely look like this one. (FYI, my idea has nothing to do with the Sox, baseball or sports.) I know a lot about visiting and posting on sites, but I don't know much about what it takes to run one so I have a few general questions:

- Is there a particular software program that I can buy to create a site like this that looks this good?

- What's the best stategy to edit posts to keep them free from spam, profanity, racists comments, etc.?

- What's the best way to handle legal issues associated with running a site when you're on a budget?

- What's the best way to keep a site securely protected from hackers, viruses, etc.?

Thanks!

When you're looking at the server space you're going to buy, look at what extra features they have. Some have pre-installed blogs, message boards, e-commerce and many more tools built in and you can get all that stuff set up with a few clicks. Otherwise, for a board like this, you have to purchase it and set it up yourself: Link to sales page. Ultimately, it's not that difficult to set-it up as it's already coded and built for you.

There are free message boards that function generally the same like XMB, but offer less functionality and customization unless you're good with CSS. I'd browse around the web and look at your favorite message boards, and find out which software they are built with then choose your favorite, or most practical for your budget.

What it costs to run varies. I imagine SoxTalk was cheap 5 years ago. Now that the traffic is high, it's likely a lot more expensive to keep running at good speeds and when there are a lot of users logged in at the same time. I don't think it was always an IP Board, either.

As far as offensive material being posted, most message boards come with filters built in. Notice that there are certain words here that get modified. Also, sometimes you have to depend on the moderators and administrators to delete those posts (or clean them up) and warn the poster not to do it again or just ban them outright.

I don't know about legal issues.

Keeping it safe from hackers starts with the server you choose. A good server will have good front-line security for you. Frequently backing up the site is a great idea, because if it does get nailed, you just delete and re-install. Then complain to the server company.

EDIT: I just noticed a link to "Bikini Babes" at the bottom. :lolhitting WTF???

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE (BainesHOF @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 02:43 PM)

Thanks!

If you're serious about getting something up, PM me, and I can help you.