KW: Make a deal to get a Rangers OF

SoxFanInDallas

The Rangers have 5 legit outfielders on their roster.

Hamilton

Cruz

Byrd

Murphy

Jones

My guess, is that you could take away Byrd or Murphy, and a maybe Jones. I like Marlon Byrd for CF. I would really like Jones as I think last year was a fluke, but he wanted to go to the Rangers to work with their Rudy Jaramillo and it seems to be helping.

More than likely, the Rangers would want Pitching as they ALWAYS need pitching. But, we have to shore up that CF spot and there seems to be an excess in Texas.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 10:26 AM)
Byrd would be a great idea.

Possibly, but is he any different than any other tradeable CF out there? Definitely better than D-Weezy...but I don't know. Doesn't move my needle.

That sounded horrible.

You can forget about Hamilton or Cruz unless you want to give up one of our Top 3 starting pitchers in return or a huge minor league package that involves 2-3 of our Top 10-15 prospects...Hamilton is probably untouchable.

Byrd, maybe...but how much of his offensive output (or Milton Bradley, or Michael Young) is due to playing in Texas? Byrd struggled for many seasons (kind of like GMJ) and then seemed to find himself the last year or so, but that doesn't mean it would automatically translate to USCF.

I think we need to wait at least 6-8 weeks to see what we can come up with internally. At that point, some of the teams (like the Padres, Nationals, Blue Jays, Orioles, Mariners, etc.) will be dropping out of their races, suffering lowered attendance/economic problems and looking to dump payroll. Players like Jody Gerut will be available right now, but if we can only hold on til May 15th through June 1st in the ALCD race, then KW will have to leeway/flexibility to make a move hopefully. At least CLE and DET didn't get off to hot starts, we can be thankful for that. If we just take 2/3 from the Twins, we should be in decent shape.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 09:29 AM)
Byrd, maybe...but how much of his offensive output (or Milton Bradley, or Michael Young) is due to playing in Texas? Byrd struggled for many seasons (kind of like GMJ) and then seemed to find himself the last year or so, but that doesn't mean it would automatically translate to USCF.

You're alleging he's on HGH?

QUOTE (Fantl916 @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 09:33 AM)
I dont think he is, I think he's implying that Texas is kinda becoming the new Coors Field. I think the ballpark in Arlington inflates his numbers a bit. that said, i would like Bryd for CF for the WS

Well, I have no idea whether he is or not, I'm just saying...don't compare people to Gary Matthews Jr. unless you think they're on HGH. Because its very clear he had more help than just the ballpark in putting up his numbers.

Yes, exactly....851 vs. 745 OPS (Arlington/away games) over the last 3 years for Byrd.

I would certainly rather have Byrd than Michael Young, but who would you be willing to give up??

They already have two catchers and KW will hold onto Flowers anyway (his prize possession after Beckham and Viciedo)...so that leaves a package based on Poreda and Shelby, something like that.

So do we want to give away someone who could be as good or better than Byrd in the future AND our best pitching prospect? Up to you or KW.

My GMJ shoutout was more for the sake of comparison...someone like GMJ or Luis Gonzalez or Brady Anderson, players that were decent/so-so and then just really took off offensively (of course, most players who did that, we can now say with 95% certainty it was chemical improvement) and came into their own. Carlos Pena would be another example, a player who any team in the majors could have picked up multiple times, just like GMJ.

But you'd have to admit Byrd, until the last 2-3 seasons, was very much a below-average major league outfielder almost on the verge of being out of the game.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 03:30 PM)
Given his track record we could probably screw him out of his best pitching prospect too.

Daniels has done a very good job building that offensive juggernaut...although that Michael Young contract will haunt them in the end almost as much as the A-Rod one.

Hamilton for Volquez has to be considered "even," but they lost Chris Young and Galarraga too, not to mention the Danks/McCarthy trade.

QUOTE (Soxpranos @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 06:25 PM)
Prove that he can? So your saying he would make us a 3-0 or 2-1 team? Unlikely!

He could have driven in a couple runs in Wednesday's 2-0 loss or Thursday's 2-1 loss. Maybe Brian would have gone hitless just like Wise did but you can't prove he wouldn't have looked better at the dish than Wise who couldn't even get a bunt down. We already know Wise is no better of a hitter than BA is; we already know Wise doesn't have the power BA has; we already know Wise is even poorer at talking walks than BA is; and we already know Wise is not even close to the fielder that BA is. Wise is there because in Ozzie's mind speed = good player. You need to do everything in your power to not defend Dweezy and instead fight the good fight.